[ANN] RubyGems Release 0.8.7

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Jim Weirich, Mar 14, 2005.

  1. Jim Weirich

    Jim Weirich Guest

    = Announce: RubyGems Release 0.8.7

    Time passes quickly, and so does software development. Release 0.8.7
    of RubyGems is availble for public release. Although another point
    release, you will find a number of very nice new features.

    First the numbers, 220 different gems available, over 25,000
    downloads of RubyGems, and nearly 190,000 gems downloads. Thanks to
    everyone for their support.

    == What's New

    Even though it has only been a few weeks since that last release,
    there are quite a number of new features in 0.8.7. A complete list of
    new features will be given below, but here is a summary of the hot
    items.

    * The bug that prevented some users from installing rails has been
    squashed. A big thanks to Bill Guindon (aGorilla) for helping track
    that one down.

    There are several new commands available on the gem command:

    * gem cleanup GEMNAME -- Cleanup (uninstall) all the old versions of
    gem. If the gem name is omitted, the entire repository is cleaned.

    * gem dependency GEMNAME -- Show the dependencies for the named gems.
    This is really helpful when trying to figure out what gem needs what
    other gem.

    There changes to the existing commands as well.

    * gem uninstall is much smarter about removing gems from the
    repository. Lists of gems are now uninstalled in proper dependency
    order (ie. if A depends on B, A is uninstalled first). Also,
    warnings about broken dependencies occur only when removing the
    *last* gem that supports a dependency is removed.

    Both gem install and gem uninstall support some new command line
    options that can reduce the amount of yes/no queries given the user.
    For install we have:

    * --ignore-dependencies -- Only install requests gems, no
    dependendecies are automatically installed.
    * --include-dependencies -- Automatically install dependencies,
    without confirmation.

    For gem uninstall, the new options are:

    * --all -- Uninstall all matching gems without confirmation.
    * --ignore-dependencies -- Uninstall, even if dependencies are broken.
    * --executables -- Remove executables without confirmation

    Under general cleanup, gems will not, by default, run RDoc on packages
    that do not have the RDoc flag set.

    And finally there is a new library file 'gemconfigure' to aid in
    writing version sensitive applications (without undue dependencies on
    RubyGems); and 'gemwhich', a short script to locate libraries in the
    file system. You can read more about them here:

    * gemconfigure: http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/4#page73
    * gemwhich: http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/17

    == What is RubyGems?

    RubyGems is a package management system for Ruby applications and
    libraries. RubyGems one command download makes installing Ruby software
    fun and enjoyable again. (Ok, not really.)

    Many gems are available for download from the RubyForge site. Browse
    the list of gems with a "gem list --remote" command and download what
    you need with a simple "gem install <name-of-gem>". RubyGems takes care
    of the details of installing, not only the gem you requested, but also
    any gems needed by the software you selected.

    == How can I get all this great stuff?

    Well, here's how ...

    To download and install:

    1. DOWNLOAD FROM: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126
    2. UNPACK INTO A DIRECTORY AND CD THERE
    3. INSTALL WITH: ruby setup.rb all (you may need admin/root privilege)

    ... or, if you have RubyGems version 0.8.5 or later ....

    $ gem update --system (again, might need to be admin/root)

    ... If you don't have a recent RubyGems, you can still do the two-step ....

    $ gem install rubygems-update (again, might need to be admin/root)
    $ update_rubygems (... here too)

    == Detailed Change List

    This list touches on most of the user visible changes in the RubyGems
    change log. See the change log file for even more details.

    * Fixed bug in cache manager that caused the cache to be reread every
    time on Windows.

    * Removed annoying message about not finding .gemrc.

    * Uninstall command will now accept the following options:
    * --all (uninstall all matches without query),
    * --ignore-dependencies (ignore dependency constraints while
    uninstalling),
    * --executables (remove the executables without querying).

    * New command: "gem cleanup" will remove all old versions of the list
    gems (or the entire repository).

    * Uninstalling now will only query if removing a gem actually will
    cause a dependency to be unfulfilled.

    * A new library file "gemconfigure.rb" makes is easy to take advantage
    of dynamic versioning without becoming tied to using RubyGems.

    * Source URIs given to the --source option will now assume an
    "http://" prefix if one is not given.

    * New Command: "gem dependency" will show the dependency requirements
    of any installed gem. Reverse dependencies are also supported.

    == Thanks

    Thanks to David Heinemeier Hansson for a number of suggestions that
    made it into this release. Also thanks go to Bill Guindon (aGorilla)
    and Jim Freeze for feedback and testing of intermediate versions.

    Keep those gems coming!

    -- Jim & Chad (for the RubyGems team)
    Jim Weirich, Mar 14, 2005

  2. Jim Weirich wrote:

    > ... or, if you have RubyGems version 0.8.5 or later ....
    >
    > $ gem update --system (again, might need to be admin/root)

    # gem -v
    Config file /var/root/.gemrc does not exist
    0.8.6
    # gem update --system
    Config file /var/root/.gemrc does not exist
    Upgrading RubyGems...
    Attempting remote upgrade of rubygems-update
    Attempting remote installation of 'rubygems-update'
    Successfully installed rubygems-update, version 0.8.6
    Installing RDoc documentation for rubygems-update-0.8.6...
    Updating version of RubyGems
    Installing RubyGems 0.8.6
    Andreas Schwarz, Mar 14, 2005

  3. Jim Weirich

    Chad Fowler Guest

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:24:28 +0900, Jim Weirich <> wrote:
    > = Announce: RubyGems Release 0.8.7
    >
    > Time passes quickly, and so does software development. Release 0.8.7
    > of RubyGems is availble for public release. Although another point
    > release, you will find a number of very nice new features.

    For those of you trying to use "gem update --system", it looks like
    this gem hasn't propagated to the repository yet, so you might want to
    either wait (I assume it's just bad timing with the batch processing
    on RubyForge) or download the package and install it manually.

    --

    Chad Fowler
    http://chadfowler.com
    Chad Fowler, Mar 14, 2005
  4. Jim Weirich

    Chad Fowler Guest

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:15:27 -0500, Chad Fowler <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:24:28 +0900, Jim Weirich <> wrote:
    > > = Announce: RubyGems Release 0.8.7
    > >
    > > Time passes quickly, and so does software development. Release 0.8.7
    > > of RubyGems is availble for public release. Although another point
    > > release, you will find a number of very nice new features.
    > >

    > For those of you trying to use "gem update --system", it looks like
    > this gem hasn't propagated to the repository yet, so you might want to
    > either wait (I assume it's just bad timing with the batch processing
    > on RubyForge) or download the package and install it manually.

    We've discovered a significant problem that will prevent installation
    from working right for this release. Please stay tuned until this
    evening when we'll hopefully have a fix.

    Chad Fowler, Mar 14, 2005
  5. Jim Weirich

    Jim Weirich Guest

    Andreas Schwarz said:
    > Jim Weirich wrote:
    >
    >> ... or, if you have RubyGems version 0.8.5 or later ....
    >>
    >> $ gem update --system (again, might need to be admin/root)

    > # gem -v
    > Config file /var/root/.gemrc does not exist
    > 0.8.6
    > # gem update --system

    [...]
    > Installing RubyGems 0.8.6

    There was a problem with the 0.8.7 gem file such that it was never
    deployed on the RubyForge gem server. RubyGems 0.8.8 fixes that issue.
    We recommend that everyone who managed to successfully install 0.8.7, go
    ahead and upgrade to 0.8.8.

    In case anyone missed the announcements, here is Chad's post about the
    problem:
    http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/133515.

    Here is the 0.8.8 announcement:
    http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/133555.