[ANN] rubygems-update 1.3.6 Released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Eric Hodel, Feb 21, 2010.

  1. Eric Hodel

    Eric Hodel Guest

    rubygems-update version 1.3.6 has been released!

    * <http://rubygems.org/>
    * <http://docs.rubygems.org/>
    * <http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/>
    * <http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubygems>

    RubyGems is a package management framework for Ruby.

    This gem is an update for the RubyGems software. You must have an
    installation of RubyGems before this update can be applied.

    See Gem for information on RubyGems (or `ri Gem`)

    To upgrade to the latest RubyGems, run:

    $ gem update --system # you might need to be an administrator or root

    NOTE: RubyGems 1.1 and 1.2 have problems upgrading when there is no
    rubygems-update installed. You will need to use the following =
    instructions
    if you see "Nothing to update".

    If you have an older version of RubyGems installed, then you can still
    do it in two steps:

    $ gem install rubygems-update # again, might need to be admin/root
    $ update_rubygems # ... here too

    If you don't have any RubyGems install, there is still the pre-gem =
    approach to
    getting software, doing it manually:

    1. Download from: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=3D126
    2. Unpack into a directory and cd there
    3. Install with: ruby setup.rb # you may need admin/root privilege

    For more details and other options, see:

    ruby setup.rb --help

    Changes:

    ### 1.3.6 / 2010-02-17

    NOTE:

    http://rubygems.org is now the default source for downloading gems.

    You may have sources set via ~/.gemrc, so you should replace
    http://gems.rubyforge.org with http://rubygems.org

    http://gems.rubyforge.org will continue to work for the forseeable =
    future.

    New features:

    * `gem` commands
    * Added `gem push` and `gem owner` for interacting with =
    modern/Gemcutter
    sources
    * `gem dep` now supports --prerelease.
    * `gem fetch` now supports --prerelease.
    * `gem server` now supports --bind. Patch #27357 by Bruno Michel.
    * `gem rdoc` no longer overwrites built documentation. Use =
    --overwrite
    force rebuilding. Patch #25982 by Akinori MUSHA.
    * Captial letters are now allowed in prerelease versions.

    Bug fixes:

    * Development deps are no longer added to rubygems-update gem so older
    versions can update sucessfully.
    * Installer bugs:
    * Prerelease gems can now depend on non-prerelease gems.
    * Development dependencies are ignored unless explicitly needed. Bug =
    #27608
    by Roger Pack.
    * `gem` commands
    * `gem which` now fails if no paths were found. Adapted patch #27681 =
    by
    Caio Chassot.
    * `gem server` no longer has invalid markup. Bug #27045 by Eric =
    Young.
    * `gem list` and friends show both prerelease and regular gems when
    --prerelease --all is given
    * Gem::Format no longer crashes on empty files. Bug #27292 by Ian =
    Ragsdale.
    * Gem::GemPathSearcher handles nil require_paths. Patch #27334 by Roger =
    Pack.
    * Gem::RemoteFetcher no longer copies the file if it is where we want =
    it.
    Patch #27409 by Jakub =C5=A0=C5=A5astn=C3=BD.

    Deprecation Notices:

    * lib/rubygems/timer.rb has been removed.
    * Gem::Dependency#version_requirements is deprecated and will be removed =
    on or
    after August 2010.
    * Bulk index update is no longer supported.
    * Gem::manage_gems was removed in 1.3.3.
    * Time::today was removed in 1.3.3.

    Eric Hodel, Feb 21, 2010

  2. Re: rubygems-update 1.3.6 Released

    Eric Hodel wrote:
    > rubygems-update version 1.3.6 has been released!

    Hm, I just upgraded but it seems that RubyGems still thinks it's 1.3.5.
    Here's the full installation output, followed by gem env and gem
    --version:
    root@ikarus:/home/marvin# gem update --system
    Updating RubyGems
    Updating rubygems-update
    all clean--your rubygems has no reported conflicting filenames
    Successfully installed rubygems-update-1.3.6
    Updating RubyGems to 1.3.6
    Installing RubyGems 1.3.6
    RubyGems 1.3.6 installed
    Successfully uninstalled gemcutter-0.3.0

[...]

    Patch #27409 by Jakub Šťastný.

    Deprecation Notices:

    * lib/rubygems/timer.rb has been removed.
    * Gem::Dependency#version_requirements is deprecated and will be removed
    on or
    after August 2010.
    * Bulk index update is no longer supported.
    * Gem::manage_gems was removed in 1.3.3.
    * Time::today was removed in 1.3.3.

    RubyGems installed the following executables:
    /opt/rubies/ruby-1.9.1-p378/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rubygems-update-1.3.5/bin/gem

    root@ikarus:/home/marvin# gem env
    RubyGems Environment:
    - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.5
    - RUBY VERSION: 1.9.1 (2010-01-10 patchlevel 378) [x86_64-linux]
    - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY:
    /opt/rubies/ruby-1.9.1-p378/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
    - RUBY EXECUTABLE: /opt/rubies/ruby-1.9.1-p378/bin/ruby
    - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /opt/rubies/ruby-1.9.1-p378/bin
    - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    - ruby
    - x86_64-linux
    - GEM PATHS:
    - /opt/rubies/ruby-1.9.1-p378/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
    - /root/.gem/ruby/1.9.1
    - GEM CONFIGURATION:
    - :update_sources => true
    - :verbose => true
    - :benchmark => false
    - :backtrace => false
    - :bulk_threshold => 1000
    - REMOTE SOURCES:
    - http://gems.rubyforge.org/
    root@ikarus:/home/marvin# gem --version
    1.3.5
    root@ikarus:/home/marvin#

    Marvin Gülker, Feb 21, 2010

  3. Eric,

    This is very nice to see, thank you and everyone else involved for
    your hard work over the last several months.

    Progress!

    ~Wayne

    Wayne E. Seguin, Feb 22, 2010
  4. Eric Hodel

    Roger Pack Guest

    Eric Hodel wrote:
    > rubygems-update version 1.3.6 has been released!

    Thanks for the release. Seemed to update fine here on doze.
    -rp

    Roger Pack, Feb 22, 2010
  5. Re: rubygems-update 1.3.6 Released

    Marvin Gülker wrote:
    > My OS is Ubuntu Karmic 64bit, Ruby version is ruby 1.9.1p378 (2010-01-10
    > revision 26273) [x86_64-linux]. I compiled Ruby from source.
    >
    > Marvin

    I just updated RubyGems again, and now it shows the correct version. I'm
    not sure what happened, but it works.

    Marvin

    Marvin Gülker, Feb 22, 2010
  6. Eric Hodel

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Feb 22, 2010, at 08:30, Marvin G=FClker wrote:
    Marvin G=FClker wrote:
    >> My OS is Ubuntu Karmic 64bit, Ruby version is ruby 1.9.1p378 =

    (2010-01-10=20
    >> revision 26273) [x86_64-linux]. I compiled Ruby from source.
    >>=20
    >> Marvin

    >=20
    > I just updated RubyGems again, and now it shows the correct version. =

    I'm=20
    > not sure what happened, but it works.

    Interesting, ok. I didn't try to reproduce it, but I'll ignore it =
    unless somebody else has the same problem.=

    Eric Hodel, Feb 23, 2010