[ANN] RubyInline 3.6.0 Released (FINALLY)

Ryan Davis

RubyInline version 3.6.0 has been released! Only 10 month late! (ugh
I can be so spacy sometimes!)

http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/RubyInline/
http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyinline/

Ruby Inline is an analog to Perl's Inline::C. Out of the box, it
allows you to embed C/++ external module code in your ruby script
directly. By writing simple builder classes, you can teach how to cope
with new languages (fortran, perl, whatever). The code is compiled and
run on the fly when needed.

Using the package_inline tool Inline now allows you to package up
your inlined object code for distribution to systems without a
compiler (read: windows)!

** FEATURES/PROBLEMS:

+ Quick and easy inlining of your C or C++ code embedded in your ruby
script.
+ Extendable to work with other languages.
+ Automatic conversion between ruby and C basic types
+ char, unsigned, unsigned int, char *, int, long, unsigned long
+ inline_c_raw exists for when the automatic conversion isn't
sufficient.
+ Only recompiles if the inlined code has changed.
+ Pretends to be secure.
+ Only requires standard ruby libraries, nothing extra to download.
+ Can generate a basic Rakefile and package up built extensions for
distribution.

http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/RubyInline/
http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyinline/

Changes:

+ 6 minor enhancements
+ C builder can now be used directly for other foreign language glue.
+ Pretty much all (c) functions are plain argument style, not argc/
argv.
+ Added Nathaniel and Dan's patches for windows support.
+ Added VALUE as a default known type.
+ Improved testing under $DEBUG.
+ Deprecated $INLINE_FLAGS and $INLINE_LIBS are dead.
+ 3 bug fixes
+ Fixed a number of issues wrt testing.
+ Cleaned up and cached certain calculations.
+ Some windows compiler fixes went in, but MS compiler is a PITA still.

http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/RubyInline/
http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyinline/

Ryan Davis

Most excellent news. You're quite the fury lately.
What's up?

Feeling overwhelmed so I'm offloading as much in my queue as fast as
I can. I'm up to 17 projects on rubyforge (not owning all but
contributing as best I can to all) and have several not on rubyforge.
It is starting to affect me because they're all interrelated in ways
that cause tangental work to be near-constant.
I admit: I'm lazy, stupid, and whatever else Larry Wall said
about programmers. Can you sketch the steps for teaching
it Fortran 90?

Absolutely. In fact, I'm open to helping you work on it. I have a
friend who works for the DOE doing nuclear chemistry and he could
benefit from having a real language like ruby but with the maths of
fortran.

I'll update that as soon as I can. The current hints from Eric are
still apropos, if not the line numbers.

Bil Kleb

Ryan said:
I'm up to 17 projects on rubyforge (not owning all but contributing
as best I can to all) and have several not on rubyforge.

I know that feeling. Jamis had a good blog entry about
that a while ago, but I can't connect: http://jamis.jamisbuck.org/
Absolutely. In fact, I'm open to helping you work on it.

I made it into RubyConf, you?
I'll update that as soon as I can. The current hints from Eric are still
apropos, if not the line numbers.

Roger.

Thanks,