[ANN] RubyInline 3.6.0 Released (FINALLY)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ryan Davis, Sep 16, 2006.

  1. Ryan Davis

    Ryan Davis Guest

    RubyInline version 3.6.0 has been released! Only 10 month late! (ugh
    I can be so spacy sometimes!)

    http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/RubyInline/
    http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyinline/

    Ruby Inline is an analog to Perl's Inline::C. Out of the box, it
    allows you to embed C/++ external module code in your ruby script
    directly. By writing simple builder classes, you can teach how to cope
    with new languages (fortran, perl, whatever). The code is compiled and
    run on the fly when needed.

    Using the package_inline tool Inline now allows you to package up
    your inlined object code for distribution to systems without a
    compiler (read: windows)!

    ** FEATURES/PROBLEMS:

    + Quick and easy inlining of your C or C++ code embedded in your ruby
    script.
    + Extendable to work with other languages.
    + Automatic conversion between ruby and C basic types
    + char, unsigned, unsigned int, char *, int, long, unsigned long
    + inline_c_raw exists for when the automatic conversion isn't
    sufficient.
    + Only recompiles if the inlined code has changed.
    + Pretends to be secure.
    + Only requires standard ruby libraries, nothing extra to download.
    + Can generate a basic Rakefile and package up built extensions for
    distribution.

    http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/RubyInline/
    http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyinline/

    Changes:

    + 6 minor enhancements
    + C builder can now be used directly for other foreign language glue.
    + Pretty much all (c) functions are plain argument style, not argc/
    argv.
    + Added Nathaniel and Dan's patches for windows support.
    + Added VALUE as a default known type.
    + Improved testing under $DEBUG.
    + Deprecated $INLINE_FLAGS and $INLINE_LIBS are dead.
    + 3 bug fixes
    + Fixed a number of issues wrt testing.
    + Cleaned up and cached certain calculations.
    + Some windows compiler fixes went in, but MS compiler is a PITA still.

    Ryan Davis, Sep 16, 2006

  2. Ryan Davis

    Bil Kleb Guest

    Ryan Davis wrote:
    > RubyInline version 3.6.0 has been released!

    Most excellent news. You're quite the fury lately.
    What's up?

    > you can teach how to cope with new languages (fortran, perl, whatever).

    I admit: I'm lazy, stupid, and whatever else Larry Wall said
    about programmers. Can you sketch the steps for teaching
    it Fortran 90?

    Perhaps it could gestate here:

    http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/RubyFortran

    Thanks,
    --
    Bil Kleb
    http://fun3d.larc.nasa.gov
    Bil Kleb, Sep 16, 2006

  3. Ryan Davis

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Sep 15, 2006, at 7:20 PM, Bil Kleb wrote:

    > Ryan Davis wrote:
    >> RubyInline version 3.6.0 has been released!

    > Most excellent news. You're quite the fury lately.
    > What's up?

    Feeling overwhelmed so I'm offloading as much in my queue as fast as
    I can. I'm up to 17 projects on rubyforge (not owning all but
    contributing as best I can to all) and have several not on rubyforge.
    It is starting to affect me because they're all interrelated in ways
    that cause tangental work to be near-constant.

    >> you can teach how to cope with new languages (fortran, perl,
    >> whatever).

    > I admit: I'm lazy, stupid, and whatever else Larry Wall said
    > about programmers. Can you sketch the steps for teaching
    > it Fortran 90?

    Absolutely. In fact, I'm open to helping you work on it. I have a
    friend who works for the DOE doing nuclear chemistry and he could
    benefit from having a real language like ruby but with the maths of
    fortran.

    > Perhaps it could gestate here:
    >
    > http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/RubyFortran

    I'll update that as soon as I can. The current hints from Eric are
    still apropos, if not the line numbers.
    Ryan Davis, Sep 16, 2006
  4. Ryan Davis

    Bil Kleb Guest

    Ryan Davis wrote:

    > I'm up to 17 projects on rubyforge (not owning all but contributing
    > as best I can to all) and have several not on rubyforge.

    I know that feeling. Jamis had a good blog entry about
    that a while ago, but I can't connect: http://jamis.jamisbuck.org/

    >> Can you sketch the steps for teaching it Fortran 90?

    > Absolutely. In fact, I'm open to helping you work on it.

    I made it into RubyConf, you?

    >> http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/RubyFortran

    > I'll update that as soon as I can. The current hints from Eric are still
    > apropos, if not the line numbers.

    Roger.

    Thanks,
    --