[ANN] RubyScript2Exe 0.3.0

Erik Veenstra

RubyScript2Exe 0.3.0 is out!

* Added compression: Some applications are less then half the
size.

* Fixed the broken call to ResHacker.

* Fixed a bug concerning --eee-list in combination with rubyw:
Programs with a * DOS box and programs without a DOS box are
two totally different things, for Windows. You can't do a
"writeln" to the console if there is no console. You would
expected Windows to handle these things, but it simply
dies...

gegroet,
Erik V.

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/index.html

Shashank Date

Hi Erik,

Erik said:
RubyScript2Exe 0.3.0 is out!

* Added compression: Some applications are less then half the
size.

Absoultely smashing !
* Fixed the broken call to ResHacker.

Great !
* Fixed a bug concerning --eee-list in combination with rubyw:
Programs with a * DOS box and programs without a DOS box are
two totally different things, for Windows. You can't do a
"writeln" to the console if there is no console. You would
expected Windows to handle these things, but it simply
dies...

Thanks a lot for fixing this ...

Add now a feature request: you know how we can "hack on location".
That is just terrific in the pre-release mode when I am
at my client site and do not have to carry around my sources for
minor fixes. But now that we are thinking of commercializing the
product, we do * NOT * want anybody to hack on location. Is it
possible to create a "release" version which cannot be hacked?

"Goodbye" :)

-- shanko

Erik Veenstra

Add now a feature request: you know how we can "hack on
location". That is just terrific in the pre-release mode when
I am at my client site and do not have to carry around my
sources for minor fixes. But now that we are thinking of
commercializing the product, we do * NOT * want anybody to
hack on location. Is it possible to create a "release"
version which cannot be hacked?

"Cannot be hacked" is impossible: Everything can be hacked.
That's what hacking means...

I could optionally block --eee-list and --eee-justextract, but
the code of both EEE and RubyScript2Exe is on the 'Net, so
smart people can "decompile" it anyway.

And if they are not that smart: The running application is
temporarily unpacked to /tmp (or %TEMP%), so you can just copy
that directory before the application terminates.

gegroet,
Erik V.

Lothar Scholz

Hello Shashank,

SD> Hi Erik,

SD> Absoultely smashing !

SD> Great !

SD> Thanks a lot for fixing this ...

SD> Add now a feature request: you know how we can "hack on location".
SD> That is just terrific in the pre-release mode when I am
SD> at my client site and do not have to carry around my sources for
SD> minor fixes. But now that we are thinking of commercializing the
SD> product, we do * NOT * want anybody to hack on location. Is it
SD> possible to create a "release" version which cannot be hacked?

If you do a groups.google search in this newsgroup with my name and
"hacking" you should find an old topic (~6/9 month) where i presented
a 10 lines ruby.exe hack that i wrote in a few minutes that killed all
discussed ways to encrpyt and protect a ruby program.

At the moment it is simply not possible (in an easy way and with the
current ruby license).

Shashank Date

Hi Lothar,

Lothar said:
If you do a groups.google search in this newsgroup with my name and
"hacking" you should find an old topic (~6/9 month) where i presented
a 10 lines ruby.exe hack that i wrote in a few minutes that killed all
discussed ways to encrpyt and protect a ruby program.

Yes, I remember reading it a while back and was aware of the situation
from the very outset. However, I was not discouraged by it either since
we had not planned on commercializing it.

Admitedly, my requests to Eric appear naive but that is my (wierd) way
of showing my admiration to his work.
At the moment it is simply not possible (in an easy way and with the
current ruby license).

What has the license to do with it ?

-- shanko

Shashank Date

Hi Lothar,

Lothar said:
If you do a groups.google search in this newsgroup with my name and
"hacking" you should find an old topic (~6/9 month) where i presented
a 10 lines ruby.exe hack that i wrote in a few minutes that killed all
discussed ways to encrpyt and protect a ruby program.

Yes, I remember reading it a while back and was aware of the situation
from the very outset. However, I was not discouraged by it either since
we had not planned on commercializing it.

Admitedly, my requests to Eric appear naive but that is my (wierd) way
of showing my admiration to his work.
At the moment it is simply not possible (in an easy way and with the
current ruby license).

What has the license to do with it ?

-- shanko

Lothar Scholz

Hello Shashank,

SD> What has the license to do with it ?

I'm not very good in reading license texts so i might be wrong here.

It is possible to do a really good encrpytion (locking out 99,9% of all hackers)
of your program if you could modify the ruby.exe file without being forced to
publish your changes. But the current license does not allow this.

I don't want to discuss the way how to do the protection in a public
newsgroup.

Florian Gross

Christian said:
The only proper way to make Ruby code currently runnable but not
readable is IMO dumping the eval tree and reloading it at startup.
This is technically possible, but I wont help any efforts to do this.

However it is usually easy to go back to source code from the eval tree.