    gegroet,
    Erik V.

    http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/index.html
    Erik Veenstra, Dec 27, 2004

  2. Hi Erik,

    Erik Veenstra wrote:

    > RubyScript2Exe 0.3.0 is out!
    >
    > * Added compression: Some applications are less then half the
    > size.

    Absoultely smashing !

    > * Fixed the broken call to ResHacker.

    Great !

    > * Fixed a bug concerning --eee-list in combination with rubyw:
    > Programs with a * DOS box and programs without a DOS box are
    > two totally different things, for Windows. You can't do a
    > "writeln" to the console if there is no console. You would
    > expected Windows to handle these things, but it simply
    > dies...

    Thanks a lot for fixing this ...

    Add now a feature request: you know how we can "hack on location".
    That is just terrific in the pre-release mode when I am
    at my client site and do not have to carry around my sources for
    minor fixes. But now that we are thinking of commercializing the
    product, we do * NOT * want anybody to hack on location. Is it
    possible to create a "release" version which cannot be hacked?

    > gegroet,

    "Goodbye" :)

    > Erik V.
    >
    > http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/index.html

    -- shanko
    Shashank Date, Dec 27, 2004

  3. On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:12:38 -0600, Shashank Date wrote:

    > Add now a feature request: you know how we can "hack on
    > location". That is just terrific in the pre-release mode when
    > I am at my client site and do not have to carry around my
    > sources for minor fixes. But now that we are thinking of
    > commercializing the product, we do * NOT * want anybody to
    > hack on location. Is it possible to create a "release"
    > version which cannot be hacked?

    "Cannot be hacked" is impossible: Everything can be hacked.
    That's what hacking means...

    I could optionally block --eee-list and --eee-justextract, but
    the code of both EEE and RubyScript2Exe is on the 'Net, so
    smart people can "decompile" it anyway.

    And if they are not that smart: The running application is
    temporarily unpacked to /tmp (or %TEMP%), so you can just copy
    that directory before the application terminates.

    gegroet,
    Erik V.
    Erik Veenstra, Dec 27, 2004
  4. Hello Shashank,

    SD> Hi Erik,

    SD> Erik Veenstra wrote:

    >> RubyScript2Exe 0.3.0 is out!
    >>
    >> * Added compression: Some applications are less then half the
    >> size.

    SD> Absoultely smashing !

    >> * Fixed the broken call to ResHacker.

    SD> Great !

    >> * Fixed a bug concerning --eee-list in combination with rubyw:
    >> Programs with a * DOS box and programs without a DOS box are
    >> two totally different things, for Windows. You can't do a
    >> "writeln" to the console if there is no console. You would
    >> expected Windows to handle these things, but it simply
    >> dies...

    SD> Thanks a lot for fixing this ...

    SD> Add now a feature request: you know how we can "hack on location".
    SD> That is just terrific in the pre-release mode when I am
    SD> at my client site and do not have to carry around my sources for
    SD> minor fixes. But now that we are thinking of commercializing the
    SD> product, we do * NOT * want anybody to hack on location. Is it
    SD> possible to create a "release" version which cannot be hacked?

    If you do a groups.google search in this newsgroup with my name and
    "hacking" you should find an old topic (~6/9 month) where i presented
    a 10 lines ruby.exe hack that i wrote in a few minutes that killed all
    discussed ways to encrpyt and protect a ruby program.

    At the moment it is simply not possible (in an easy way and with the
    current ruby license).

    Lothar Scholz http://www.ruby-ide.com
    Lothar Scholz, Dec 27, 2004
  5. Hi Lothar,

    Lothar Scholz wrote:

    > If you do a groups.google search in this newsgroup with my name and
    > "hacking" you should find an old topic (~6/9 month) where i presented
    > a 10 lines ruby.exe hack that i wrote in a few minutes that killed all
    > discussed ways to encrpyt and protect a ruby program.

    Yes, I remember reading it a while back and was aware of the situation
    from the very outset. However, I was not discouraged by it either since
    we had not planned on commercializing it.

    Admitedly, my requests to Eric appear naive but that is my (wierd) way
    of showing my admiration to his work.

    > At the moment it is simply not possible (in an easy way and with the
    > current ruby license).

    What has the license to do with it ?

    -- shanko
    Shashank Date, Dec 28, 2004
  6. Hi Lothar,

    Shashank Date, Dec 28, 2004
  7. Hello Shashank,

    >> At the moment it is simply not possible (in an easy way and with the
    >> current ruby license).

    SD> What has the license to do with it ?

    I'm not very good in reading license texts so i might be wrong here.

    It is possible to do a really good encrpytion (locking out 99,9% of all hackers)
    of your program if you could modify the ruby.exe file without being forced to
    publish your changes. But the current license does not allow this.

    I don't want to discuss the way how to do the protection in a public
    newsgroup.

    Lothar Scholz http://www.ruby-ide.com
    Lothar Scholz, Dec 28, 2004
  8. Christian Neukirchen wrote:

    > The only proper way to make Ruby code currently runnable but not
    > readable is IMO dumping the eval tree and reloading it at startup.
    > This is technically possible, but I wont help any efforts to do this.

    However it is usually easy to go back to source code from the eval tree.
    Florian Gross, Dec 28, 2004