[ANN] RubyScript2Exe 0.5.2

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Erik Veenstra, Apr 15, 2007.

  1. I've released RubyScript2Exe 0.5.2.

    RubyScript2Exe transforms your Ruby script into a standalone
    Windows or Linux executable. You can look at it as a
    "compiler", for it collects all necessary files to run your
    script on an other machine.

    For more information and download:
    http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/index.html

    gegroet,
    Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/

    CHANGES

    * Fixed a bug when using the gem as library.

    * Fixed a bug concerning RUBYSCRIPT2EXE.userdir(file) (as well
    as RUBYSCRIPT2EXE.appdir(file)) and full pathnames.

    * Replaced %TEMP% by %HOME%/eee, or %USERPROFILE%/eee, or
    %TEMP%/eee, or c:/eee (on Windows). Replaced /tmp by
    $HOME/.eee, or /tmp/.eee (on Linux/Darwin). This is to avoid
    "Insecure world writable dir".

    * Introduced RUBYSCRIPT2EXE.exedir and
    RUBYSCRIPT2EXE.executable.

    Erik Veenstra, Apr 15, 2007

  2. Erik Veenstra wrote:
    > I've released RubyScript2Exe 0.5.2.

    > * Replaced %TEMP% by %HOME%/eee, or %USERPROFILE%/eee, or
    > %TEMP%/eee, or c:/eee (on Windows). Replaced /tmp by
    > $HOME/.eee, or /tmp/.eee (on Linux/Darwin). This is to avoid
    > "Insecure world writable dir".

    I've been wondering something:

    Sometimes, a buggy program will not clean up the rubyscript2exe temp
    files. That's not rubyscript2exe's fault, it's just because the cleanup
    code never gets a chance to run, due to segfault, kill -9, etc.

    If the temp files are in /tmp, then at least they will usually get
    cleaned up (periodically, or at reboot).

    If they are in the $HOME/.eee dir (which I understand is necessary to
    avoid the warning messages), then how will they get cleaned up? Can the
    rubyscript2exe runtime do that automatically? Is there an API to do it
    from the app itself?

    Thanks again for rubyscript2exe, Erik!

    Joel VanderWerf, Apr 16, 2007

  3. Re: RubyScript2Exe 0.5.2

    > If they are in the $HOME/.eee dir (which I understand is
    > necessary to avoid the warning messages), then how will they
    > get cleaned up?

    Uh, not. They won't get cleaned up... :} That's a disadvantage,
    from sysadmin point of view. But it's an advantage for long
    running processes. The /tmp solution was not good enough for
    long running processes.

    > Can the rubyscript2exe runtime do that automatically?

    Well, maybe it should... I'll think about it.

    > Is there an API to do it from the app itself?

    The application itself shouldn't care about cleaning up these
    temporary files. So the API doesn't provide functions for this.

    Until there's a solution, you could add a "rm -rf /home/*/.eee"
    to your shutdown script.

    Thanks.

    Erik Veenstra, Apr 16, 2007