[ANN] Rucola 0.0.1 released.

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by eloy.de.enige@gmail.com, Nov 4, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    Yesterday we released the first alpha version of rucola:
    http://rucola.rubyforge.org/

    For a screencast (showed at RubyConf by Dr Nic) using the rucola
    command see this post:
    http://www.superalloy.nl/blog/2007/11/04/rucola-a-rubycocoa-application-builder/

    Cheers,
    Eloy Duran & Justin Palmer

    A Framework for building Cocoa applications in Ruby

    Rucola is a light weight framework that helps you write RubyCocoa apps.
    It allows you to build, test, and deploy applications using rake
    commands,
    eliminating the need to use XCode, however you can use XCode if you
    wish.

    Rucola provides a set of generators to help you generate controllers,
    window controllers,
    and document-based applications. It also provides APIs for simplifying
    some of Objective-C’s
    ways of doing things.

    , Nov 4, 2007

    Excellent beginning!
    I was just thinking about such things on the toilet this morning (of
    course, where else?).
    With RubyCocoa now officially bundled in OS X, it is only a matter of
    months before this kind of thing explodes.
    I was thinking about:

    Using ActiveRecord, and potentially some sort of Rails-like
    framework. But for OS X development, there is no reason to install
    MySQL, rather, just use SQLite, since it too is bundled and is
    commonly used by Mac applications.

    Using WebKit as a super-lazy, "no need to learn Cocoa" approach to
    building an app.

    Even for developing Dashboard Widgets... a Ruby solution would be nice.

    On Nov 4, 2007, at 9:12 AM, Eloy Duran wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Yesterday we released the first alpha version of rucola:
    > http://rucola.rubyforge.org/
    >
    > For a screencast (showed at RubyConf by Dr Nic) using the rucola
    > command see this post:
    > http://www.superalloy.nl/blog/2007/11/04/rucola-a-rubycocoa-
    > application-builder/
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Eloy Duran & Justin Palmer

    > ==
    > A Framework for building Cocoa applications in Ruby
    >
    > Rucola is a light weight framework that helps you write RubyCocoa
    > apps.
    > It allows you to build, test, and deploy applications using rake
    > commands,
    > eliminating the need to use XCode, however you can use XCode if you
    > wish.
    >
    > Rucola provides a set of generators to help you generate
    > controllers, window controllers,
    > and document-based applications. It also provides APIs for
    > simplifying some of Objective-C’s
    > ways of doing things.

    , Nov 4, 2007

    Hi John,

    There is also already some code in RubyCocoa that allows you to use
    ActiveRecord (with for instance SQLite) in combination with Cocoa
    bindings.

    http://rubycocoa.sourceforge.net/ActiveRecordSupport

    It doesn't support everything (yet) of course, but it's a good basis
    for such glue code.
    And bindings will make you happy.... generally :)

    Actually I think that the "no need to learn" cocoa is not gonna happen.
    But it will also not be such a problem with projects like Rucola I
    think,
    because you get up and running in way which is generally known to ruby
    devs.
    Instead of (the pain of) learning xcode etc.

    Once you get past that you will see that cocoa is a very nice
    environment to work in.
    And Interface Builder rocks!

    Cheers,
    Eloy

    PS: I thought everybody did their coding exclusively on the toilet? ;)

    On 4 nov 2007, at 19:18, John Joyce wrote:

    > Excellent beginning!
    > I was just thinking about such things on the toilet this morning (of
    > course, where else?).
    > With RubyCocoa now officially bundled in OS X, it is only a matter
    > of months before this kind of thing explodes.
    > I was thinking about:
    >
    > Using ActiveRecord, and potentially some sort of Rails-like
    > framework. But for OS X development, there is no reason to install
    > MySQL, rather, just use SQLite, since it too is bundled and is
    > commonly used by Mac applications.
    >
    > Using WebKit as a super-lazy, "no need to learn Cocoa" approach to
    > building an app.
    >
    > Even for developing Dashboard Widgets... a Ruby solution would be
    > nice.
    >

    > On Nov 4, 2007, at 9:12 AM, Eloy Duran wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Yesterday we released the first alpha version of rucola:
    >> http://rucola.rubyforge.org/
    >>
    >> For a screencast (showed at RubyConf by Dr Nic) using the rucola
    >> command see this post:
    >> http://www.superalloy.nl/blog/2007/11/04/rucola-a-rubycocoa-application-builder/
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Eloy Duran & Justin Palmer
    >>
    >> =
    >> =
    >> =
    >> A Framework for building Cocoa applications in Ruby
    >>
    >> Rucola is a light weight framework that helps you write RubyCocoa
    >> apps.
    >> It allows you to build, test, and deploy applications using rake
    >> commands,
    >> eliminating the need to use XCode, however you can use XCode if you
    >> wish.
    >>
    >> Rucola provides a set of generators to help you generate
    >> controllers, window controllers,
    >> and document-based applications. It also provides APIs for
    >> simplifying some of Objective-C’s
    >> ways of doing things.

    , Nov 4, 2007

    I've been working through some books on Cocoa lately to be a little
    prepared.
    It's just that Cocoa is such a HUGE framework, and so much of the
    framework was written long ago and it shows with some of the naming
    schemes and concept names. Learning Ruby and Rails actually makes
    Cocoa much easier to swallow I think.
    So whenever I get the spare cash to get a new Mac, I'll be monkeying
    with RubyCocoa (and maybe Rucola).
    This iBook G4 can probably run Leopard, but I already have so much
    set up on here that I need to keep it as is until something new is
    set up to take its place.
    On Nov 4, 2007, at 12:33 PM, Eloy Duran wrote:

> [...]
    >>> command see this post:
    >>> http://www.superalloy.nl/blog/2007/11/04/rucola-a-rubycocoa-
    >>> application-builder/
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> Eloy Duran & Justin Palmer
    >>>
    >>> ====================================================================
    >>> ====
    >>> A Framework for building Cocoa applications in Ruby
    >>>
    >>> Rucola is a light weight framework that helps you write RubyCocoa
    >>> apps.
    >>> It allows you to build, test, and deploy applications using rake
    >>> commands,
    >>> eliminating the need to use XCode, however you can use XCode if
    >>> you wish.
    >>>
    >>> Rucola provides a set of generators to help you generate
    >>> controllers, window controllers,
    >>> and document-based applications. It also provides APIs for

    , Nov 5, 2007

    Just to be clear, you don't need Leopard to play with RubyCocoa.
    It will just as happily work on Tiger. Although with less framework
    support than
    Leopard, it's still very usable foor the majority of the applications.
    You could even run it on Panther with some extra work.

    Eloy

    On 5 nov 2007, at 02:47, John Joyce wrote:

    > I've been working through some books on Cocoa lately to be a little
    > prepared.
    > It's just that Cocoa is such a HUGE framework, and so much of the
    > framework was written long ago and it shows with some of the naming
    > schemes and concept names. Learning Ruby and Rails actually makes
    > Cocoa much easier to swallow I think.
    > So whenever I get the spare cash to get a new Mac, I'll be monkeying
    > with RubyCocoa (and maybe Rucola).
    > This iBook G4 can probably run Leopard, but I already have so much
    > set up on here that I need to keep it as is until something new is
    > set up to take its place.
    > On Nov 4, 2007, at 12:33 PM, Eloy Duran wrote:
    >
    >> Hi John,
    >>
    >> There is also already some code in RubyCocoa that allows you to use
    >> ActiveRecord (with for instance SQLite) in combination with Cocoa
    >> bindings.
    >>
    >> http://rubycocoa.sourceforge.net/ActiveRecordSupport
    >>
    >> It doesn't support everything (yet) of course, but it's a good
    >> basis for such glue code.
    >> And bindings will make you happy.... generally :)
    >>
    >> Actually I think that the "no need to learn" cocoa is not gonna
    >> happen.
    >> But it will also not be such a problem with projects like Rucola I
    >> think,
    >> because you get up and running in way which is generally known to
    >> ruby devs.
    >> Instead of (the pain of) learning xcode etc.
    >>
    >> Once you get past that you will see that cocoa is a very nice
    >> environment to work in.
    >> And Interface Builder rocks!
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Eloy
    >>
    >> PS: I thought everybody did their coding exclusively on the
    >> toilet? ;)
    >>
    >> On 4 nov 2007, at 19:18, John Joyce wrote:
    >>
    >>> Excellent beginning!
    >>> I was just thinking about such things on the toilet this morning
    >>> (of course, where else?).
    >>> With RubyCocoa now officially bundled in OS X, it is only a matter
    >>> of months before this kind of thing explodes.
    >>> I was thinking about:
    >>>
    >>> Using ActiveRecord, and potentially some sort of Rails-like
    >>> framework. But for OS X development, there is no reason to install
    >>> MySQL, rather, just use SQLite, since it too is bundled and is
    >>> commonly used by Mac applications.
    >>>
    >>> Using WebKit as a super-lazy, "no need to learn Cocoa" approach to
    >>> building an app.
    >>>
    >>> Even for developing Dashboard Widgets... a Ruby solution would be
    >>> nice.

    , Nov 5, 2007

    I remember it being introduced or at least getting a little hype back
    in the Panther days. That's the first time I heard of Ruby.
    I'm kind of waiting though, I'm very curious to see what Xcode 3 will
    do for me. It's really tough to imagine doing Ruby in anything other
    than TextMate now. TM spoiled me...
    On Nov 5, 2007, at 2:49 AM, Eloy Duran wrote:

    > Just to be clear, you don't need Leopard to play with RubyCocoa.
    > It will just as happily work on Tiger. Although with less framework
    > support than
    > Leopard, it's still very usable foor the majority of the applications.
    > You could even run it on Panther with some extra work.
    >
    > Eloy
    >
    > On 5 nov 2007, at 02:47, John Joyce wrote:
    >
    >> I've been working through some books on Cocoa lately to be a
    >> little prepared.
    >> It's just that Cocoa is such a HUGE framework, and so much of the
    >> framework was written long ago and it shows with some of the
    >> naming schemes and concept names. Learning Ruby and Rails actually
    >> makes Cocoa much easier to swallow I think.
    >> So whenever I get the spare cash to get a new Mac, I'll be
    >> monkeying with RubyCocoa (and maybe Rucola).
    >> This iBook G4 can probably run Leopard, but I already have so much
    >> set up on here that I need to keep it as is until something new is
    >> set up to take its place.
    >> On Nov 4, 2007, at 12:33 PM, Eloy Duran wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi John,
    >>>
    >>> There is also already some code in RubyCocoa that allows you to use
    >>> ActiveRecord (with for instance SQLite) in combination with Cocoa
    >>> bindings.
    >>>
    >>> http://rubycocoa.sourceforge.net/ActiveRecordSupport
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't support everything (yet) of course, but it's a good
    >>> basis for such glue code.
    >>> And bindings will make you happy.... generally :)
    >>>
    >>> Actually I think that the "no need to learn" cocoa is not gonna
    >>> happen.
    >>> But it will also not be such a problem with projects like Rucola
    >>> I think,
    >>> because you get up and running in way which is generally known to
    >>> ruby devs.
    >>> Instead of (the pain of) learning xcode etc.
    >>>
    >>> Once you get past that you will see that cocoa is a very nice
    >>> environment to work in.
    >>> And Interface Builder rocks!
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> Eloy
    >>>
    >>> PS: I thought everybody did their coding exclusively on the
    >>> toilet? ;)

    , Nov 5, 2007

    I use TextMate exclusively with my RubyCocoa projects.
    There's no added benefit for me of working with Xcode.
    Of course I sometimes need to use it to tweak app settings, but that's
    about it.

    Eloy

    , Nov 5, 2007