[Ann] RueDoc: rdoc-hacks 0.1.2

ES

Exciting news! :)

rdoc-hacks got some new functionality: firstly, it is able to
RueDoc.fix data output by RDoc to add in missing method names
from C, something sorely missing from the previous version.

The second and far more exciting change is RueDoc.normalize,
which takes the data structure generated by RDoc and rearranges
it into a much more sensible one. This makes it much easier to
do arbitrary things with the data (see Examples for a plain YAML
dump of a structure). I included a description of the generated
data structure at the bottom of this message.

The frameless template underwent some minor changes, no real
new functionality. Still seems to suffer from previous problems.

Examples:
http://www.magical-cat.org/projects/ruedoc/yaml
http://www.magical-cat.org/projects/ruedoc/oughtve
http://www.magical-cat.org/projects/ruedoc/ruby-1.9

Download:
http://www.magical-cat.org/projects/ruedoc/download/ruedoc-0.1.2.tar.gz
http://www.magical-cat.org/projects/ruedoc/download/ruedoc-0.1.2.tar.bz2

Documentation:
http://www.magical-cat.org/projects/ruedoc/rdoc/

================| Normalized data format |====================

Calling RueDoc.normalize on the data generated by
RDoc (see below) generates this data structure:

modules: <as classes>
classes:
-
name: <name of the class>
parent: <parent class>
type: <class or module>
desc: <class description>
files:
-
path: <relative path to file where class defined>

constants:
-
name: <name of the constant>
value: <value of the constant>
desc: <description of the constant>

public_class_methods:
-
name: <method name>
params: <(parameters)>
desc: <description>
source: <source code>
example: <example of calling the method> # C methods only

protected_class_methods: <as above>
private_class_methods: <as above>
public_instance_methods: <as above>
protected_instance_methods: <as above>
private_instance_methods: <as above>

files:
-
name: <filename>
path: <relative path>
desc: <description>
modified: <modification timestamp>
requires:
-
name: <library name>

ES

Terrible! Incorrect example URLs. Let us attempt again:

Examples:
http://www.magical-cat.org/projects/ruedoc/examples/yaml
http://www.magical-cat.org/projects/ruedoc/examples/oughtve
http://www.magical-cat.org/projects/ruedoc/examples/ruby-1.9

[...]

Lothar said:
Hello ES,

E> The second and far more exciting change is RueDoc.normalize,
E> which takes the data structure generated by RDoc and rearranges
E> it into a much more sensible one. This makes it much easier to
E> do arbitrary things with the data (see Examples for a plain YAML
E> dump of a structure). I included a description of the generated
E> data structure at the bottom of this message.

Did you work on the mny bugs in the ruby doc parser. Like skipping
inheritance classes, no differences between modules and classes, wrong
visibility declarations (not stored at all), infinite loops (for
rails) etc. ?

No. These are specifically hacks to ease the pain until I or someone
else comes up with a new, simple and workable documentation generator.
I will eventually take that up, time permitting, if no-one else does.
Or is anybody working on it instead of frontend hacks ?

Ryan Davis and Eric Hodel are tending to RDoc itself but
I could not venture a guess what their position might be.

Austin Ziegler

Hello ES,
E> The second and far more exciting change is RueDoc.normalize,
E> which takes the data structure generated by RDoc and rearranges
E> it into a much more sensible one. This makes it much easier to
E> do arbitrary things with the data (see Examples for a plain YAML
E> dump of a structure). I included a description of the generated
E> data structure at the bottom of this message.
Did you work on the mny bugs in the ruby doc parser. Like skipping
inheritance classes, no differences between modules and classes, wrong
visibility declarations (not stored at all), infinite loops (for
rails) etc. ?
=20
Or is anybody working on it instead of frontend hacks ?

Have you added those as bugs to Rdoc on RubyForge? If not, Eric and
Ryan won't have a clue what you think needs to be fixed. They've
accepted ownership of the process, but without bug reports, it's
difficult to schedule the time to fix the stuff, what with their day
jobs and all.

-austin
--=20
Austin Ziegler * (e-mail address removed)
* Alternate: (e-mail address removed)

why the lucky stiff

ES said:
[.. features, urls..]

Great stuff, thankyou. I needed this. The YAML which RDoc builds is a
lot to sort through. This is just right. And the template you've got
is totally handy. Well done.

_why