[ANN] Ruport 1.2 pre-release, please help test!

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Gregory Brown, Aug 27, 2007.

  1. Hi folks,

    It's been a while since we've done a major Ruport release (1.0 in mid-
    May), but we've been busy behind the scenes. Ruport 1.2 is just about
    ready and includes a boat load of changes and enhancements.

    What we're asking folks to do is pull it down, kick the tires, try to
    break stuff, run the tests, etc. We'd also appreciate people helping
    us out to find issues with documentation being out of date or unclear.

    If all goes well, you should see the official release in a couple
    days, but for the adventurous:

    gem install ruport --source http://gems.rubyreports.org
    gem install ruport-util --source http://gems.rubyreports.org

    This will pull ruport 1.1.9999 and ruport-util 0.7.9999

    We've put the API docs for this pre-release up at:
    http://api.rubyreports.org/edge

    It'll take us a little while to get it back up to date, but the
    content in the Ruport Book should be helpful for finding your way
    around, though not all the new features have been covered yet.

    http://ruportbook.com

    Please report all problems with docs, the book, or the source, or just
    general cantankerousness at http://list.rubyreports.org

    Of course, if you have found a bug, you can put it right in the
    trackers:

    Ruport:
    http://code.rubyreports.org/ruport

    ruport-util:
    http://code.rubyreports.org/ruport-util

    Use the anonymous account: ruport / blinky

    Abridged release notes follow, but you can find the full notes as a
    work in progress at:
    http://stonecode.svnrepository.com/svn/ruport/ruport-www/release_notes-1.2.html

    Looking forward to any feedback,

    -greg

    == Ruport 1.2 CHANGELOG

    API Breakage

    * acts_as_reportable now uses real association names
    * Data::Table constructors now yield Data::Feeder objects instead
    of Data::Table
    * append_hash, append_array, and append_record removed from
    Data::Table
    * Renderer::Hooks changed signature for renderable_data() to
    renderable_data(format)
    * Formatter::pDF#draw_text no longer changes the position of the
    drawing cursor
    * Ruport 0.7 style stage building syntax removed

    Enhancements to existing features

    * Table#sort_rows_by now allows nil objects and allows ascending /
    descending order
    * Table constructors now accept :filters and :transforms Procs
    * AAR's report_table() now accept :filters and :transforms Procs
    * Grouping constructor accepts :eek:rder, and new
    Grouping#sort_grouping_by method
    * Formatter::pDF#draw_table now exposes column heading formatting
    options
    * Renderers can now be passed :file => "somefile.txt" to save
    output

    Brand New Features

    * Data::Feeder allows for custom transformations and filters on
    data
    * Grouping#sigma added (Thanks Dave Nelson)
    * Formatter::pDF#draw_text! will draw text at an absolute
    position, ignoring margins
    * Formatter::Template provides a simple templating system for
    renderer options
    Gregory Brown, Aug 27, 2007