[ANN] sandbox 0.2

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by why the lucky stiff, Sep 8, 2006.

  1. The 0.2 release of the FreakyFreakySandbox is here. I almost had to add a third
    Freaky because of some thread-related haps, but they've all been sufficient
    scared and squared. Everything is now calm, like grapes on a gold platter.

    gem install sandbox --source code.whytheluckystiff.net

    Or there's a dist (with setup.rb inside):

    http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/dist/sandbox-0.2.tgz

    You will need to patch your Ruby 1.8.5 to do this. Instructions:
    <http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/sandbox/wiki/InstallingTheSandbox>

    The sandbox extension lets you create new Ruby environments, either restricted
    or featureful. Need a safe little housing for dangerous code, with an
    explode-proof shield on it? Aha, get over here. Or, need to load a conflicting
    library into a safe, clean Ruby? See, look at all these reasons.

    box = Sandbox.safe:)timeout => 10)
    answer = box.eval(unsafe_code)

    Looksee, in this release: a timer. If you can best it, I will give you a
    free, no-strings-attached photograph of young Hayley Mills.

    The sandbox is often prefixed FreakyFreaky, as a warning to all that this is an
    extreme hack, very experimental -- practically implausible. However, it turns
    out that Ruby threading kind of does this trick anyway, so it's not really that
    bad. Anyway, I like the prefix and I call the shots on this one, guys.

    For more instructions, steps and things, the wiki and bug tracker is:
    <http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/sandbox/>

    _why

    why the lucky stiff, Sep 8, 2006