ANN: SciPy 0.3 Released

Discussion in 'Python' started by Travis N. Vaught, Apr 21, 2004.

  1. Greetings,

    SciPy 0.3 has been released and binaries are available from the
    scipy.org site.

    http://www.scipy.org

    Changes since the 0.1 version (0.1 enjoyed a wide release, there was a
    version 0.2 that had limited exposure) include the following:

    - general improvements: Added utility functions for constructing arrays
    by concatenation, intended mainly for command-line use. Added bmat
    constructor for easy creation of block matrices. Added mat constructor
    for constructing matrices (where * is matrix multiplication). Added many
    PIL utility functions so that if the PIL is installed, image loading,
    saving, and other operations are available. Added scipy.info, which
    handles dynamic docstrings and class help better than python's help command.

    - documentation: much improved

    - sparse: superLU upgraded to 3.0

    - optimize: Added non-linear conjugate gradient algorithm. Improvements
    to BFGS algorithm and Wolfe-condition line-search. Added two CONSTRAINED
    optimization techniques. Added simulated annealing and brute-force
    optimization strategies and Powell's method. Added many very good 1-D
    root-finding routines.

    - stats: Added many statistical distributions. Many continuous and
    discrete random variables are available with a simple mechanism for
    adding new ones. Added several statistical tests.

    - special: Added MANY new special functions. |general_function| renamed
    to |vectorize| and moved to scipy_base. Improved the way domain errors
    are handled (user specified display of problems). More tests on special
    functions added.

    - fftpack: replaced with fftpack2--can optionally be configured to
    support djbfft

    - io: Reading of MATLAB .mat files (version 4 and 5) supported. Writing
    version 4 .mat files supported. Added very flexible and general_purpose
    text file reader. Added shelving save operation to save variables into
    an importable module. Routines for reading and writing fortran-records.

    - linalg: Linear algebra is greatly improved over SciPy 0.1. ATLAS is
    now optional (but encouraged). Most lapack functions have simplified
    interfaces (all lapack and blas available). Matrix exponentials and
    other matrix functions added.

    - signal: Added support for filter design and LTI system analysis.

    - xplt: Updated xplt to use newer pygist so that Windows platform is
    supported. Addition of several plotting types.

    - integrate: added another ODE integrator. Added romberg integration
    and several other integration approaches.

    The complete release notes can be found here:

    http://www.scipy.org/download/scipy_release_notes_0.3.html

    You'll also notice that scipy.org is now a spanking new Plone portal
    (http://www.plone.org -- keep up the good work, plone folks).

    This is the first binary release in a long time and we hope to increase
    the frequency to every 6 months or so.

    If you'd like to follow or join the community, you can subscribe to the
    mailing lists here:

    Best Regards,

    Travis

    BTW SciPy is:
    -------------
    SciPy is an open source library of scientific tools for Python. SciPy
    supplements the popular Numeric module, gathering a variety of high
    level science and engineering modules together as a single package.

    SciPy includes modules for graphics and plotting, optimization,
    integration, special functions, signal and image processing, genetic
    algorithms, ODE solvers, and others.
    Travis N. Vaught, Apr 21, 2004

  2. Travis N. Vaught wrote:
    > SciPy 0.3 has been released and binaries are available from the
    > scipy.org site.
    >
    > http://www.scipy.org

    Hi,
    What's the status of Chaco, the plotting package?
    Is it now included in SciPy download?

    I have tried to follow the chaco link in Enthought's site
    (http://www.enthought.com/) but it seems not working

    Tanks
    Enrique Castro
    Enrique Castro, Apr 22, 2004

  3. Travis N. Vaught

    eric Guest

    Hey Enrique,

    Chaco has moved to a new package. We hope to have it released within
    the next few weeks.

    thanks,
    eric

    eric, Apr 23, 2004