[ANN] Scratch 1.0

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Scott Barron, Mar 1, 2005.

  1. Scott Barron

    Scott Barron Guest

    --------------enigFCB5FFAF5822C0612DDC09CB

    == What is Scratch?

    Scratch is a little toy I put together in Ruby on Rails. Think of it as
    a spin-off of my larger Rails app, Elite Journal. If nothing else, you
    can think of Scratch as a demonstration of the new Action Web Services
    component of Rails.

    From the web page:

    Scratch is the minimalist's web log. Scratch gives you nothing more than
    the meta-weblog API for posting. Reading is done via Atom or RSS. That's
    it. There's no HTML to hack up. You don't have to use the same, tired
    old web log template that everyone else is using. Break out of that
    blue, rounded rectangle! Be original! Thumb your nose at those primitive
    apes still using the web! Use Scratch! Scratch can also serve as a
    framework for developing your own weblog package, if that's the way you
    roll.

    There are no categories, comments, tags, users, blah, blah, blah. None
    of that bloat. Scratch is what it is and it ain't no more.

    == Installation

    % gem install Scratch
    % scratch

    From here you'll need something like MarsEdit or ecto to post and an
    aggregator to read (Newsfire and NetNewsWire are good).

    == More Information

    More information can be found at the Scratch website:

    http://scratch.rubyforge.org

    The subversion repository lives at:

    http://dev.elitists.textdriven.com/svn/software/Scratch/trunk

    (you'll need to login with anonymous/anonymous until I get around to
    turning that off, sorry).

    Enjoy
    -Scott

    Scott Barron, Mar 1, 2005

  2. Scott Barron

    Bil Kleb Guest

    Scott Barron wrote:

    > % gem install Scratch

    $ sudo gem install Scratch
    [..]
    Attempting remote installation of 'Scratch'
    Install required dependency sqlite-ruby? [Yn]
    Select which gem to install for your platform (i686-linux)
    1. sqlite-ruby 2.2.3 (ruby)
    2. sqlite-ruby 2.2.3 (mswin32)
    [..]
    13. Cancel installation
    > 1

    ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
    Gem files will remain installed in /usr/local/pkgs/ruby-1.8.2/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite-ruby-2.2.3 for inspection.
    ruby extconf.rb install Scratch\nchecking for main() in -lsqlite... no
    checking for sqlite.h... no

    So I need the raw sqlite, but I already have sqlite3 installed
    and the bindings,

    sqlite3-ruby (1.1.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.0)
    SQLite3/Ruby is a module to allow Ruby scripts to interface with a
    SQLite3 database.

    Can't I use this instead of installing the older(?) sqlite?

    Confused,
    --
    Bil Kleb, Hampton, Virginia
    http://fun3d.larc.nasa.gov

    Bil Kleb, Mar 2, 2005

  3. Scott Barron

    leon breedt Guest

    On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 06:59:43 +0900, Scott Barron <> wrote:
    > Scratch is a little toy I put together in Ruby on Rails. Think of it as
    > a spin-off of my larger Rails app, Elite Journal. If nothing else, you
    > can think of Scratch as a demonstration of the new Action Web Services
    > component of Rails.

    Cool...

    What I'd like to see is a full-featured tested-with-many-clients
    metaWeblog implementation using AWS that can be re-used by Rails-based
    blogging apps.

    Bit of a pie-in-the-sky, perhaps, since everyone likes their designing
    own model, but at least a common API definition for the methods in the
    spec and the extensions used by MT would be a good start.

    Leon

    leon breedt, Mar 2, 2005
  4. (note: answering here since I did not receive the original announcemente
    message)

    leon breedt ha scritto:
    > On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 06:59:43 +0900, Scott Barron <> wrote:
    >
    >>Scratch is a little toy I put together in Ruby on Rails. Think of it as
    >>a spin-off of my larger Rails app, Elite Journal. If nothing else, you
    >>can think of Scratch as a demonstration of the new Action Web Services
    >>component of Rails.

    > Cool...
    >
    > What I'd like to see is a full-featured tested-with-many-clients
    > metaWeblog implementation using AWS that can be re-used by Rails-based
    > blogging apps.
    > Bit of a pie-in-the-sky, perhaps, since everyone likes their designing
    > own model, but at least a common API definition for the methods in the
    > spec and the extensions used by MT would be a good start.
    >
    > Leon

    what would be wonmderful, imho, would be something like a micro blogish
    thing where you can plug modules to extend features. Say, allowing the
    chance to plug in categories or tagging ot atom output or html output or
    xmlrpc api or whatever.
    Is this the hidden real nature of scratch ?
    (since I have this floating idea of "build your blog from scratch".. )

    gabriele renzi, Mar 2, 2005
  5. Scott Barron

    Guest

    Hi Scott,

    How can I have multiple instances of Scratch ? It seems like the gem is
    dropping a rails app. Should I copy the sources to another path for
    development ? Shouldn't it better be in a generator ?

    Cheers,
    zimba

    , Mar 2, 2005
  6. Scott Barron wrote:
    > == What is Scratch?
    >
    > Scratch is a little toy I put together in Ruby on Rails. Think of it as
    > a spin-off of my larger Rails app, Elite Journal. If nothing else, you
    > can think of Scratch as a demonstration of the new Action Web Services
    > component of Rails.

    Great. Don't forget to list on RAA, so we can all find it later when we
    forget about this email and are looking for rails examples or for
    blogging software. (Also, there are only 5 Rails hits there, 3 of which
    are rails itself. Kinda gives the wrong impression...)

    Joel VanderWerf, Mar 2, 2005