[ANN] Slide Show (S9) Gem Now Includes S5 Support (IncludingBuilt-In Gradient Themes)

Gerald Bauer

Hello,

The Ruby Slide Show (S9) gem that lets you create slide shows and
author slides in plain text using a wiki-style markup language that's
easy-to-write and easy-to-read now includes (experimental) support for
S5 slide shows.

To create a S5 slide show instead of a FullerScreen slide show just
flip the s5 switch. Example:

slideshow -s5 microformats

That's it. The slideshow (S9) gem will create a web page
(microformats.html), a style sheet (microformats.css) and a
"loss-free" gradient theme using vector graphics (microformats.svg)
plus copy the S5 machinery into the s5 subfolder (that you can share
between all your slide shows).

You can find some S9 generated S5 samples online:

o Slide Show (S9) 10-Minute Tutorial @
http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/tutorial.html
o Microformats - Add Semantics to Your Web Site @
http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/microformats.html
o Facebook Stats, Numbers & More @
http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/facebook.html
o Merb - All You Need, None You Don't @
http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/merb.html

(Note, S5 slide shows include a hidden control bar. Scroll to the
lower right corner to make the jump box, outline toggle button and
more show up).

If you're curious you can find the plain-text sources online @
http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/svn/samples

Questions and comments welcome. Enjoy.

Cheers.

PS: S9 Tip of the Day: Replace .html with .svg to check your
background gradient theme. Try
http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/microformats.svg

James Britt

Gerald said:
Hello,

The Ruby Slide Show (S9) gem that lets you create slide shows and
author slides in plain text using a wiki-style markup language that's
easy-to-write and easy-to-read now includes (experimental) support for
S5 slide shows.

Under what license is this released? It doesn't seem to say on the
project page.

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding

Peña, Botp

From: Gerald Bauer [mailto:[email protected]]=20
# (Note, S5 slide shows include a hidden control bar. Scroll to the
# lower right corner to make the jump box, outline toggle button and
# more show up).

arggh, how could i miss that. very nifty indeed. all the time i was just =
happy clicking :)

thanks for slideshow, Gerald
kind regards -botp

Axel Etzold

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 14:59:39 +0900
Von: "Gerald Bauer" <[email protected]>
An: (e-mail address removed)
Betreff: [ANN] Slide Show (S9) Gem Now Includes S5 Support (Including Built-In Gradient Themes)
[...]

Dear Gerald,

thank you for this. It looks very nice. Is it possible to integrate it somehow with
Latex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX) for formula/Greek variables editing ?

Thank you very much,

Best regards,

Axel

Gerald Bauer

Hello,
Under what license is this released? It doesn't seem to say on the project
page.

It's public domain. Do whatever you like with it. No restrictions
whatsoever. Cheers.

Gerald Bauer

Hello Axel,
thank you for this. It looks very nice. Is it possible to integrate it somehow with
Latex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX) for formula/Greek variables editing ?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add your idea to the list for
possible upcoming additions.

If anyone wants to go ahead and add formulas you're more than
welcome. A good starting point might be the S5 in Instiki package that
uses itex2MML to let you add formulas using LaTeX that gets converted
to MathML as far as I can tell. See
http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/instiki/show/S5

If anyone is interested in contributing extensions, addons,
patches etc. I invite you to join the mailing list/forum @
http://groups.google.com/group/webslideshow

Cheers.

Tim Pease

Dear Gerald,

thank you for this. It looks very nice. Is it possible to integrate
it somehow with
Latex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX) for formula/Greek
variables editing ?

Thank you very much,

Take a look at Webby. It can output S5 style presentations and it
includes support for Latex formulas / Greek letters, Graphviz
diagrams, Ultraviolet and CodeRay syntax highlighting, Markdown,
Textile, and more.

http://webby.rubyforge.org/

Blessings,
TwP

James Britt

Gerald said:
Hello,

It's public domain. Do whatever you like with it. No restrictions
whatsoever. Cheers.

Thanks.

A suggestion; I couldn't find anything that explicitly stated the
release license, and in the absence of such a thing I assume it comes
with restrictions. Perhaps adding a LICENSE.TXT file would be good.

Thanks,

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding

Robert Dober

Thanks.

A suggestion; I couldn't find anything that explicitly stated the release
license, and in the absence of such a thing I assume it comes with
restrictions. Perhaps adding a LICENSE.TXT file would be good.
I agree, that is to protect your great work, and I mean it, for
staying open source, I guess you would like to use a very liberal
license as e.g. BSD.
Cheers
Robert

hemant

[...]

Is it just me or there is an issue with Firefox3 and Slide Show on Linux?
Xorg/Firefox make system freeze while loading those awesome presentations.

ThoML

The Ruby Slide Show (S9) gem that lets you create slide shows and
author slides in plain text using a wiki-style markup language

How difficult would it be to plug in another input filter instead of
textile?

I currently use a somewhat clumsy, homegrown solution for such kind of
presentations when I don't have to impress powerpoint-minded people
with fancy animations and stuff.

See here for a simple example: http://deplate.sourceforge.net/presentation.html

I like the graphical layout of your solution but would like to keep
the viki/deplate input syntax. I would also like to still be able to
generate slides via deplate so that I could use the plain html version
if the browser doesn't support slideshow (in cases when you have to
use the computer provided by the hosts/organizers).

For ideas about how to embed LaTeX formulas see here:
http://deplate.sourceforge.net/Modules.html#hd008005002
http://mathml.rubyforge.org

Regards,
Thomas.

Gerald Bauer

Hello Thomas,
How difficult would it be to plug in another input filter instead of
textile?

The slideshow (S9) gem also supports markdown (using the maruku)
gem that you can use as an example to plug in your own text-to-markup
filter.

Here's the code from the gem:

# convert light-weight markup to hypertext

if known_markdown_extnames.include?( extname )
content = Maruku.new( content, {:eek:n_error => :raise} ).to_html
# old code: content = BlueCloth.new( content ).to_html
else
content = RedCloth.new( content ).to_html
end

That's basically all there is to it. Full source @
http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/lib/slideshow.rb
I currently use a somewhat clumsy, homegrown solution for such kind of
presentations when I don't have to impress powerpoint-minded people
with fancy animations and stuff.

See here for a simple example: http://deplate.sourceforge.net/presentation.html

I like the graphical layout of your solution but would like to keep
the viki/deplate input syntax. I would also like to still be able to
generate slides via deplate so that I could use the plain html version
if the browser doesn't support slideshow (in cases when you have to
use the computer provided by the hosts/organizers).

For ideas about how to embed LaTeX formulas see here:
http://deplate.sourceforge.net/Modules.html#hd008005002
http://mathml.rubyforge.org

Thanks for the pointers. Adding formulas is definitely a next step.
Any contributions welcome. Cheers.

wmorgan-ruby-talk

Reformatted excerpts from geraldbauer2007's message of 2008-07-03:
If anyone wants to go ahead and add formulas you're more than
welcome. A good starting point might be the S5 in Instiki package that
uses itex2MML to let you add formulas using LaTeX that gets converted
to MathML as far as I can tell. See
http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/instiki/show/S5

My Ritex gem is a pure-Ruby implementation of itex2MML, that
additionally has macro support.