[ANN] Slide Show (S9) Gem Now Includes S5 Support (IncludingBuilt-In Gradient Themes)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Gerald Bauer, Jul 3, 2008.

  1. Gerald Bauer

    Gerald Bauer Guest

    Hello,

    The Ruby Slide Show (S9) gem that lets you create slide shows and
    author slides in plain text using a wiki-style markup language that's
    easy-to-write and easy-to-read now includes (experimental) support for
    S5 slide shows.

    To create a S5 slide show instead of a FullerScreen slide show just
    flip the s5 switch. Example:

    slideshow -s5 microformats

    That's it. The slideshow (S9) gem will create a web page
    (microformats.html), a style sheet (microformats.css) and a
    "loss-free" gradient theme using vector graphics (microformats.svg)
    plus copy the S5 machinery into the s5 subfolder (that you can share
    between all your slide shows).

    You can find some S9 generated S5 samples online:

    o Slide Show (S9) 10-Minute Tutorial @
    http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/tutorial.html
    o Microformats - Add Semantics to Your Web Site @
    http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/microformats.html
    o Facebook Stats, Numbers & More @
    http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/facebook.html
    o Merb - All You Need, None You Don't @
    http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/merb.html

    (Note, S5 slide shows include a hidden control bar. Scroll to the
    lower right corner to make the jump box, outline toggle button and
    more show up).

    If you're curious you can find the plain-text sources online @
    http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/svn/samples

    Questions and comments welcome. Enjoy.

    Cheers.

    PS: S9 Tip of the Day: Replace .html with .svg to check your
    background gradient theme. Try
    http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/microformats.svg

    --
    Gerald Bauer - Internet Professional - http://geraldbauer.wordpress.com

    Gerald Bauer, Jul 3, 2008

  2. Gerald Bauer

    James Britt Guest

    Gerald Bauer wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > The Ruby Slide Show (S9) gem that lets you create slide shows and
    > author slides in plain text using a wiki-style markup language that's
    > easy-to-write and easy-to-read now includes (experimental) support for
    > S5 slide shows.

    Under what license is this released? It doesn't seem to say on the
    project page.

    --
    James Britt

    www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding

    James Britt, Jul 3, 2008

  3. Gerald Bauer

    Peña, Botp Guest

    Re: [ANN] Slide Show (S9) Gem Now Includes S5 Support (Including Built-In Gradient Themes)

    From: Gerald Bauer [mailto:]=20
    # (Note, S5 slide shows include a hidden control bar. Scroll to the
    # lower right corner to make the jump box, outline toggle button and
    # more show up).

    arggh, how could i miss that. very nifty indeed. all the time i was just =
    happy clicking :)

    thanks for slideshow, Gerald
    kind regards -botp

    Peña, Botp, Jul 3, 2008
  4. Gerald Bauer

    Axel Etzold Guest

    -------- Original-Nachricht --------
    > Datum: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 14:59:39 +0900
    > Von: "Gerald Bauer" <>
    > Betreff: [ANN] Slide Show (S9) Gem Now Includes S5 Support (Including Built-In Gradient Themes)

    > Hello,
    >
    > The Ruby Slide Show (S9) gem that lets you create slide shows and
    > author slides in plain text using a wiki-style markup language that's
    > easy-to-write and easy-to-read now includes (experimental) support for
    > S5 slide shows.
    >
    > To create a S5 slide show instead of a FullerScreen slide show just
    > flip the s5 switch. Example:
    >
    > slideshow -s5 microformats
    >
    > That's it. The slideshow (S9) gem will create a web page
    > (microformats.html), a style sheet (microformats.css) and a
    > "loss-free" gradient theme using vector graphics (microformats.svg)
    > plus copy the S5 machinery into the s5 subfolder (that you can share
    > between all your slide shows).
    >
    > You can find some S9 generated S5 samples online:
    >
    > o Slide Show (S9) 10-Minute Tutorial @
    > http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/tutorial.html
    > o Microformats - Add Semantics to Your Web Site @
    > http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/microformats.html
    > o Facebook Stats, Numbers & More @
    > http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/facebook.html
    > o Merb - All You Need, None You Don't @
    > http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/merb.html
    >
    > (Note, S5 slide shows include a hidden control bar. Scroll to the
    > lower right corner to make the jump box, outline toggle button and
    > more show up).
    >
    > If you're curious you can find the plain-text sources online @
    > http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/svn/samples
    >
    > Questions and comments welcome. Enjoy.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > PS: S9 Tip of the Day: Replace .html with .svg to check your
    > background gradient theme. Try
    > http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/microformats.svg
    >
    > --
    > Gerald Bauer - Internet Professional - http://geraldbauer.wordpress.com

    Dear Gerald,

    thank you for this. It looks very nice. Is it possible to integrate it somehow with
    Latex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX) for formula/Greek variables editing ?

    Thank you very much,

    Best regards,

    Axel

    --
    Psssst! Schon das coole Video vom GMX MultiMessenger gesehen?
    Der Eine für Alle: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/messenger03

    Axel Etzold, Jul 3, 2008
  5. Gerald Bauer

    Gerald Bauer Guest

    Hello,

    > Under what license is this released? It doesn't seem to say on the project
    > page.

    It's public domain. Do whatever you like with it. No restrictions
    whatsoever. Cheers.

    --
    Gerald Bauer - Internet Professional - http://geraldbauer.wordpress.com

    Gerald Bauer, Jul 3, 2008
  6. Gerald Bauer

    Gerald Bauer Guest

    Hello Axel,

    > thank you for this. It looks very nice. Is it possible to integrate it somehow with
    > Latex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX) for formula/Greek variables editing ?

    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add your idea to the list for
    possible upcoming additions.

    If anyone wants to go ahead and add formulas you're more than
    welcome. A good starting point might be the S5 in Instiki package that
    uses itex2MML to let you add formulas using LaTeX that gets converted
    to MathML as far as I can tell. See
    http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/instiki/show/S5

    If anyone is interested in contributing extensions, addons,
    patches etc. I invite you to join the mailing list/forum @
    http://groups.google.com/group/webslideshow

    Cheers.
    --
    Gerald Bauer - Internet Professional - http://geraldbauer.wordpress.com

    Gerald Bauer, Jul 3, 2008
  7. Gerald Bauer

    Tim Pease Guest

    On Jul 3, 2008, at 2:21 AM, Axel Etzold wrote:

    > Dear Gerald,
    >
    > thank you for this. It looks very nice. Is it possible to integrate
    > it somehow with
    > Latex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX) for formula/Greek
    > variables editing ?
    >
    > Thank you very much,

    Take a look at Webby. It can output S5 style presentations and it
    includes support for Latex formulas / Greek letters, Graphviz
    diagrams, Ultraviolet and CodeRay syntax highlighting, Markdown,
    Textile, and more.

    http://webby.rubyforge.org/

    Blessings,
    TwP

    Tim Pease, Jul 3, 2008
  8. Gerald Bauer

    James Britt Guest

    Gerald Bauer wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    >> Under what license is this released? It doesn't seem to say on the project
    >> page.

    > It's public domain. Do whatever you like with it. No restrictions
    > whatsoever. Cheers.

    Thanks.

    A suggestion; I couldn't find anything that explicitly stated the
    release license, and in the absence of such a thing I assume it comes
    with restrictions. Perhaps adding a LICENSE.TXT file would be good.

    Thanks,

    James Britt, Jul 3, 2008
  9. Gerald Bauer

    Robert Dober Guest

    On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 11:09 PM, James Britt <> wrote:
    > Gerald Bauer wrote:
    >>
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >>> Under what license is this released? It doesn't seem to say on the
    >>> project
    >>> page.

    >> It's public domain. Do whatever you like with it. No restrictions
    >> whatsoever. Cheers.

    > Thanks.
    >
    > A suggestion; I couldn't find anything that explicitly stated the release
    > license, and in the absence of such a thing I assume it comes with
    > restrictions. Perhaps adding a LICENSE.TXT file would be good.

    I agree, that is to protect your great work, and I mean it, for
    staying open source, I guess you would like to use a very liberal
    license as e.g. BSD.
    Cheers
    Robert
    --
    http://ruby-smalltalk.blogspot.com/

    ---
    AALST (n.) One who changes his name to be further to the front
    D.Adams; The Meaning of LIFF

    Robert Dober, Jul 4, 2008
  10. Gerald Bauer

    hemant Guest

    On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Gerald Bauer <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > The Ruby Slide Show (S9) gem that lets you create slide shows and
    > author slides in plain text using a wiki-style markup language that's
    > easy-to-write and easy-to-read now includes (experimental) support for
    > S5 slide shows.
    >
    > To create a S5 slide show instead of a FullerScreen slide show just
    > flip the s5 switch. Example:
    >
    > slideshow -s5 microformats
    >
    > That's it. The slideshow (S9) gem will create a web page
    > (microformats.html), a style sheet (microformats.css) and a
    > "loss-free" gradient theme using vector graphics (microformats.svg)
    > plus copy the S5 machinery into the s5 subfolder (that you can share
    > between all your slide shows).
    >
    > You can find some S9 generated S5 samples online:
    >
    > o Slide Show (S9) 10-Minute Tutorial @
    > http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/tutorial.html
    > o Microformats - Add Semantics to Your Web Site @
    > http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/microformats.html
    > o Facebook Stats, Numbers & More @
    > http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/facebook.html
    > o Merb - All You Need, None You Don't @
    > http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/merb.html
    >
    > (Note, S5 slide shows include a hidden control bar. Scroll to the
    > lower right corner to make the jump box, outline toggle button and
    > more show up).
    >
    > If you're curious you can find the plain-text sources online @
    > http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/svn/samples
    >
    > Questions and comments welcome. Enjoy.

    Is it just me or there is an issue with Firefox3 and Slide Show on Linux?
    Xorg/Firefox make system freeze while loading those awesome presentations.

    hemant, Jul 4, 2008
  11. Gerald Bauer

    ThoML Guest

    Re: Slide Show (S9) Gem Now Includes S5 Support (Including Built-InGradient Themes)

    > The Ruby Slide Show (S9) gem that lets you create slide shows and
    > author slides in plain text using a wiki-style markup language

    How difficult would it be to plug in another input filter instead of
    textile?

    I currently use a somewhat clumsy, homegrown solution for such kind of
    presentations when I don't have to impress powerpoint-minded people
    with fancy animations and stuff.

    See here for a simple example: http://deplate.sourceforge.net/presentation.html

    I like the graphical layout of your solution but would like to keep
    the viki/deplate input syntax. I would also like to still be able to
    generate slides via deplate so that I could use the plain html version
    if the browser doesn't support slideshow (in cases when you have to
    use the computer provided by the hosts/organizers).

    For ideas about how to embed LaTeX formulas see here:
    http://deplate.sourceforge.net/Modules.html#hd008005002
    http://mathml.rubyforge.org

    Regards,
    Thomas.

    ThoML, Jul 4, 2008
  12. Gerald Bauer

    Gerald Bauer Guest

    Re: Slide Show (S9) Gem Now Includes S5 Support (Including Built-In Gradient Themes)

    Hello Thomas,

    > How difficult would it be to plug in another input filter instead of
    > textile?

    The slideshow (S9) gem also supports markdown (using the maruku)
    gem that you can use as an example to plug in your own text-to-markup
    filter.

    Here's the code from the gem:

    # convert light-weight markup to hypertext

    if known_markdown_extnames.include?( extname )
    content = Maruku.new( content, {:eek:n_error => :raise} ).to_html
    # old code: content = BlueCloth.new( content ).to_html
    else
    content = RedCloth.new( content ).to_html
    end

    That's basically all there is to it. Full source @
    http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/lib/slideshow.rb

    > I currently use a somewhat clumsy, homegrown solution for such kind of
    > presentations when I don't have to impress powerpoint-minded people
    > with fancy animations and stuff.
    >
    > See here for a simple example: http://deplate.sourceforge.net/presentation.html
    >
    > I like the graphical layout of your solution but would like to keep
    > the viki/deplate input syntax. I would also like to still be able to
    > generate slides via deplate so that I could use the plain html version
    > if the browser doesn't support slideshow (in cases when you have to
    > use the computer provided by the hosts/organizers).
    >
    > For ideas about how to embed LaTeX formulas see here:
    > http://deplate.sourceforge.net/Modules.html#hd008005002
    > http://mathml.rubyforge.org

    Thanks for the pointers. Adding formulas is definitely a next step.
    Any contributions welcome. Cheers.

    --
    Gerald Bauer - Internet Professional - http://geraldbauer.wordpress.com

    Gerald Bauer, Jul 4, 2008
  13. Gerald Bauer

    Tim Pease Guest

    On Jul 4, 2008, at 12:03 PM, Gerald Bauer wrote:

    > Thanks for the pointers. Adding formulas is definitely a next step.
    > Any contributions welcome. Cheers.

    Inspiration found here ...

    <http://github.com/TwP/webby/tree/master/lib/webby/helpers/tex_img_helper.rb

    Tailor to suit your needs.

    Blessings,
    TwP

    Tim Pease, Jul 5, 2008
  14. Reformatted excerpts from geraldbauer2007's message of 2008-07-03:
    > If anyone wants to go ahead and add formulas you're more than
    > welcome. A good starting point might be the S5 in Instiki package that
    > uses itex2MML to let you add formulas using LaTeX that gets converted
    > to MathML as far as I can tell. See
    > http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/instiki/show/S5

    My Ritex gem is a pure-Ruby implementation of itex2MML, that
    additionally has macro support.
    --
    William <>

    wmorgan-ruby-talk, Jul 6, 2008