[ANN] Slide Show (S9) Gem Now Supports Syntax Highlighting andHeaders for Gradients, Title, etc

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Gerald Bauer, May 19, 2008.

  1. Gerald Bauer

    Gerald Bauer Guest

    Hello,

    I've published an update to Slide Show (S9) - a Ruby gem that lets
    you create slide shows and author slides in plain text using a
    wiki-style markup language that's easy-to-write and easy-to-read.

    What's new?

    The Slide Show (S9) gem now supports headers that let you set
    options in your source e.g. use

    title: Microformats - Adding Semantics to Your Web Site - Web 3.0 in Action

    to set the web page title. Use

    gradient-colors: green lime
    gradient-colors: #0e1f5b #3b5998
    gradient: top-bottom black grey

    to set the style and/or colors for your gradient background theme.

    Use

    code-theme: blackboard
    code-line-numbers: false

    to select the Ultraviolet syntax highlighting theme and turn off
    line numbering. Thanks to zimbatm (*1) for sending in patches for
    fixing the slideshow gem executable on Unix and on getting started
    with syntax highlighting using the Ultraviolet (*2) gem.

    To use/turn on the experimental syntax highlighting in your slide
    shows specify the language using #! ruby after the code block e.g.:

    {{{
    #!ruby
    puts "syntaxes:"
    puts Uv.syntaxes.join( ", " )

    puts "themes:"
    puts Uv.themes.join( ", " )
    }}}

    Finally, I've created a new mailing list/forum for free web slide
    show alternatives such as S5, S9, FullerScreen and friends. Join us @
    http://groups.google.com/group/webslideshow

    Find out more about the Slide Show (S9) gem @ http://slideshow.rubyforge.org

    Cheers.

    (*1) http://oree.ch
    (*2) http://ultraviolet.rubyforge.org

    --
    Gerald Bauer - Internet Professional - http://geraldbauer.wordpress.com

    Gerald Bauer, May 19, 2008

  2. Gerald Bauer

    Gerald Bauer Guest

    Hello,

    To test the new code syntax highlighting machinery powered by the
    Ultraviolet (Uv) gem I have create a mini slideshow tutorial. For your
    enjoyment I have included some "Rubyize this" examples - the 5th
    Edition from RubyFleebie and the RubyCamp 2008 Vancouver Edition. To
    show syntax highlighting for other languages than Ruby I have added
    some Hello World samples from Ada, C, Erlang to Java and PHP.

    More @ http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/syntax.html
    The textile source resides @
    http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/svn/samples/syntax.textile

    Questions? Comments? Send them along to the Free Web Slide Show
    Alternatives - S5, S9, FullerScreen and Friends forum @
    http://groups.google.com/group/webslideshow

    Cheers.

    PS: S9 Bonus Tip: Replace .html with .svg to check your background
    gradient theme in your browser. Try
    http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/syntax.svg (Note, better browsers such
    as Firefox, Opera, etc. required with built-in vector graphics
    machinery).

    --
    Gerald Bauer - Internet Professional - http://geraldbauer.wordpress.com

    Gerald Bauer, May 20, 2008