ANN: Snakelets 1.33 (simple-to-use web app server with dynamic pages)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Irmen de Jong, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. I'm happy to say that Snakelets 1.33 is available.

    Snakelets is a very simple-to-use Python web application server.
    This project provides a built-in threaded web server (so you don't
    need to set up Apache or another web server), Ypages (HTML+Python
    language, similar to Java's JSPs) and Snakelets: code-centric page
    request handlers (similar to Java's Servlets).
    Snakelets is fully unicode compatible and it's possible to run it
    from a CD (read-only mode).

    It's released under the open-source MIT Software license.

    You can download from http://snakelets.sourceforge.net
    (go to the SF project site, and then the file section).

    Recent changes include:

    * updated docs
    * created a 'plugin' mechanism
    * more convenient encoding handling
    * minor bugfixes in webapp and session stuff and ypage parser
    * manage webapp access logfile scanner fixed
    * manage webapp shows logged in user name for each session
    * many authentication/login improvements (might be incompatible
    with older code. Consult the manual)

    To start, edit the vhost config file (see docs) and
    then run the serv.py script, or the monitor.py script
    if you want to start it as a daemon (on Unix).

    Enjoy,
    --Irmen de Jong.

    P.S. if you want to see it in action, visit www.promozilla.nl
    (the site is all Dutch though)
    Irmen de Jong, Jul 27, 2004

  2. Re: ANN: Snakelets 1.33 (simple-to-use web app server with dynamicpages)

    Irmen de Jong wrote:
    > I'm happy to say that Snakelets 1.33 is available.
    >
    > Snakelets is a very simple-to-use Python web application server.
    > This project provides a built-in threaded web server (so you don't
    > need to set up Apache or another web server), Ypages (HTML+Python
    > language, similar to Java's JSPs) and Snakelets: code-centric page
    > request handlers (similar to Java's Servlets).

    This is a cool project...

    Great idea to model it after the javaserver pages. It keeps
    people in familiar territory. I'd recommend that you
    integrate your system with SimpleTAL:

    http://www.owlfish.com/software/simpleTAL/

    In the meantime I'll give the little snakeletes a good workout,
    some benchnmarking, loadtesting and such (within reason)
    to see how they hold up in a production environment...

    Istvan.
    Istvan Albert, Jul 27, 2004

  3. Re: ANN: Snakelets 1.33 (simple-to-use web app server with dynamicpages)

    Istvan Albert wrote:
    > Irmen de Jong wrote:
    >
    >> I'm happy to say that Snakelets 1.33 is available.

    [...]

    > This is a cool project...

    Thanks :)

    > Great idea to model it after the javaserver pages. It keeps
    > people in familiar territory. I'd recommend that you
    > integrate your system with SimpleTAL:
    >
    > http://www.owlfish.com/software/simpleTAL/

    Which is just one of the possible template etc. toolkits
    out there. For the next major upgrade, I want to somehow
    make some sort of pluggable template enginge so that you
    can plug in your template-system-of-choice... be it
    Spyce, Cheetah, TAL, whatever.

    > In the meantime I'll give the little snakeletes a good workout,
    > some benchnmarking, loadtesting and such (within reason)
    > to see how they hold up in a production environment...

    I'm interested in the results.

    --Irmen
    Irmen de Jong, Jul 27, 2004