[ANN] Spreadsheet-Excel 0.3.5 released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Hannes Wyss, Aug 18, 2006.

  1. Hannes Wyss

    Hannes Wyss Guest

    == What is it?
    Spreadsheet::Excel is a port of John McNamara's Perl module
    "Spreadsheet::WriteExcel". It allows you to generate Microsoft Excel compatible
    spreadsheets (in Excel 95 format) on *any* platform. These spreadsheets are
    viewable with most other popular spreadsheet programs, including Gnumeric.
    Spreadsheet::Excel was originally written by Daniel J. Berger and is now
    maintained by Hannes Wyss.

    == How to get it?
    gem install spreadsheet-excel
    (you may have to wait a couple of hours for the mirror-fairy to come around
    to your neighbourhood..)

    == Changes: 0.3.5 - 18-Aug-2006
    * Instead of making OLEWriter inherit from IO, Spreadsheet::Excel now just
    delegates the IO method calls to an IO object reference in an instance
    variable. That way the developer can specify an IO or IO-like object to which
    OLEWriter will write. This allows developers to use StringIO objects (or any
    IO-like object).
    Thanks go to Daniel Amelang for the feature request, the patch, and most of
    this description.
    * Implemented a Feature Request by Randal Santia: it is now possible to specify
    alignment and border as additional values in the configuration-hash passed to
    Format.new as if alignment= or border= were called.

    --
    Hannes Wyss

    Hannes Wyss, Aug 18, 2006

  2. Has anyone tried to support strings longer than 255 characters (the cell
    format is different from ordinary one) ?
    I've looked into Perl's port and I realized that more thorough knowledge
    of excel binary format is required.

    lopex

    Marcin Mielżyński, Aug 18, 2006

  3. --PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

    On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 11:17:23PM +0900, Hannes Wyss wrote:
    > =3D=3D What is it?
    > Spreadsheet::Excel is a port of John McNamara's Perl module
    > "Spreadsheet::WriteExcel". It allows you to generate Microsoft Excel=20
    > compatible
    > spreadsheets (in Excel 95 format) on *any* platform. These spreadsheets a=

    re
    > viewable with most other popular spreadsheet programs, including Gnumeric.
    > Spreadsheet::Excel was originally written by Daniel J. Berger and is now
    > maintained by Hannes Wyss.
    >=20
    > =3D=3D How to get it?
    > gem install spreadsheet-excel
    > (you may have to wait a couple of hours for the mirror-fairy to come arou=

    nd
    > to your neighbourhood..)
    >=20
    > =3D=3D Changes: 0.3.5 - 18-Aug-2006
    > * Instead of making OLEWriter inherit from IO, Spreadsheet::Excel now just
    > delegates the IO method calls to an IO object reference in an instance
    > variable. That way the developer can specify an IO or IO-like object to=

    =20
    > which
    > OLEWriter will write. This allows developers to use StringIO objects (or=

    =20
    > any
    > IO-like object).
    > Thanks go to Daniel Amelang for the feature request, the patch, and most=

    of
    > this description.
    > * Implemented a Feature Request by Randal Santia: it is now possible to=

    =20
    > specify
    > alignment and border as additional values in the configuration-hash pass=

    ed=20
    > Format.new as if alignment=3D or border=3D were called.

    URL, anyone? :)

    Is it http://rubyforge.org/projects/spreadsheet/ ?

    --=20
    Esteban Manchado Vel=E1zquez <> - http://www.foton.es

    --PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

    --PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr--

    Esteban Manchado Velázquez, Aug 21, 2006
  4. Hannes Wyss

    Hannes Wyss Guest

    Hannes Wyss, Aug 21, 2006