[ANN] SQLite/Ruby 2.0.0 BETA

Jamis Buck

SQLite/Ruby is an interface for Ruby into the SQLite database engine. It
is only for SQLite version 2.x -- it does not (yet) support 3.x.

http://sqlite-ruby.rubyforge.org
http://rubyforge.org/projects/sqlite-ruby

This version is a completely rewrite of the original codebase. (Yes,
you're probably sensing a pattern here... copland... then sqlite-ruby...
the more I learn about Ruby, the more I realize that much of the code I
wrote even a year ago could be done much more cleanly and concisely, and
I so I'm working to fix those flaws.)

Futhermore, this is only a BETA RELEASE. It is probably not ready for
production environments yet, since the API may change from release to
release. I need people willing to put this release through its paces, to
help me solidify it for a stable 2.1 release. If you're willing, go
ahead and download it and start sending me suggestions (or submitting
bug reports via the trackers on RubyForge).

So, the meat of this release:

* The previous release used the callback-based "sqlite_exec" API.
This was fairly fragile from Ruby's perspective, since exceptions and
the like could result easily in locked or busy databases. This release
moves to the compile/step/finalize API, which does not use C callback
functions. This makes it much easier to use both internal and external
iterators for queries. It also makes the Ruby interface much more robust.

* "show_datatypes" is now always on (and cannot be changed), since it
only applied to the "sqlite_exec" interface.

* Type translators are now registered per database instance, instead
of globally. This allows multiple databases to exist with different
translators for the same datatypes.

* The interface has been broken apart into
Database/Pragma/Statement/ResultSet responsibilities.

* Better metadata querying.

* Better (and more) unit tests.

* Rows are returned as arrays by default, instead of hashes, but rows
as hashes are still supported (see Database#results_as_hash).

Support for Ara's "arrayfields" module remains implicit. If you require
the arrayfields module before doing a query, then the rows that returned
may be indexed by column name (like a hash) or iterated through by index
(like an array).

Lastly: some of you may be wondering why I still bother with the older
2.x interface for SQLite, given that the 3.x interface is almost out of
beta. Three reasons: one, I'm familiar with it. Two, there are still
alot of people that use 2.x databases. Three, a Ruby interface for
SQLite3 is forthcoming--watch this space!

--
Jamis Buck
(e-mail address removed)

gabriele renzi

Jamis Buck ha scritto:
SQLite/Ruby is an interface for Ruby into the SQLite database engine. It
is only for SQLite version 2.x -- it does not (yet) support 3.x.

http://sqlite-ruby.rubyforge.org
http://rubyforge.org/projects/sqlite-ruby

This version is a completely rewrite of the original codebase.

Please, when the final version come out, could you make a mswin copy
available somewhere?
(Actually, I'd have loved to see a DL based version, so that this was
not needed at all, but this is OT ;)

Jamis Buck

gabriele said:
Jamis Buck ha scritto:

Please, when the final version come out, could you make a mswin copy
available somewhere?
(Actually, I'd have loved to see a DL based version, so that this was
not needed at all, but this is OT ;)

I'd be happy to make a mswin version available somewhere, but I'll need
someone else to prepare it. I do not have convenient access to a
windows-based development environment. :(

If there is anyone that would be willing to work with me to coordinate a
binary windows release of each future SQLite/Ruby version, please
contact me off-list. Thanks!

- Jamis

--
Jamis Buck
(e-mail address removed)
http://www.jamisbuck.org/jamis

Shashank Date

Hi Jamis,

--- Jamis Buck said:
I'd be happy to make a mswin version available
somewhere, but I'll need someone else to
prepare it.

After modifying the sqlite-api.c includes slightly, I
tried compiling it using MSVC++ 6.0 (on WIn 2K PRO)
and I got link errors. (See below:)

So where is _sqlite_progress_handler and
_sqlite_commit_hook defined?

-- shanko
Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\extract\_ruby\sqlite-ruby-2.0.0\ext>ruby extconf.rb
checking for main() in sqlite.lib... no
checking for sqlite.h... no

C:\extract\_ruby\sqlite-ruby-2.0.0\ext>ruby extconf.rb
checking for main() in sqlite.lib... yes
checking for sqlite.h... yes
checking for sqlite_open() in sqlite.lib... yes
creating Makefile

C:\extract\_ruby\sqlite-ruby-2.0.0\ext>nmake

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version
6.00.9782.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-1998. All rights
reserved.

cl -nologo -MD -Zi -O2b2xg- -G6 -I.
-Ic:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32
-Ic:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -I.
-DHAVE_SQLITE_H -I. -I./.. -I./../missing -c
-Tcsqlite-api.c
sqlite-api.c
sqlite-api.c(34) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open
include file: 'unistd.h': No such file or directory
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

C:\extract\_ruby\sqlite-ruby-2.0.0\ext>nmake

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version
6.00.9782.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-1998. All rights
reserved.

cl -nologo -MD -Zi -O2b2xg- -G6 -I.
-Ic:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32
-Ic:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -I.
-DHAVE_SQLITE_H -I. -I./.. -I./../missing -c
-Tcsqlite-api.c
sqlite-api.c
c:\ruby\bin\ruby -e "puts 'EXPORTS',
'Init_sqlite_api'" > sqlite_api-i386-mswin32.def
cl -nologo -LD -Fesqlite_api.so sqlite-api.obj
msvcrt-ruby18.lib sqlite.lib sqlite.lib oldnames.lib
user32.lib advapi32.lib wsock32.lib -link
-incremental:no -debug -opt:ref -opt:icf -dll
-libpath:"c:/ruby/lib"
-def:sqlite_api-i386-mswin32.def
Creating library sqlite_api.lib and object
sqlite_api.exp
sqlite-api.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol _sqlite_progress_handler
sqlite-api.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol _sqlite_commit_hook
sqlite_api.so : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved
externals
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

C:\extract\_ruby\sqlite-ruby-2.0.0\ext>

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Ara.T.Howard

SQLite/Ruby is an interface for Ruby into the SQLite database engine. It
is only for SQLite version 2.x -- it does not (yet) support 3.x.

you are an animal jamis!
Support for Ara's "arrayfields" module remains implicit. If you require
the arrayfields module before doing a query, then the rows that returned
may be indexed by column name (like a hash) or iterated through by index
(like an array).

thanks very much! for those of you wondering the sole intrusion into jamis'
code is a check for a 'field=' method. eg. you could implement your own
Array#fields= method and not use arrayfields.
Lastly: some of you may be wondering why I still bother with the older 2.x
interface for SQLite, given that the 3.x interface is almost out of beta.
Three reasons: one, I'm familiar with it. Two, there are still alot of
people that use 2.x databases. Three, a Ruby interface for SQLite3 is
forthcoming--watch this space!

i subscribe to the sqlite mailing list and read it often. 3 is definitely
not ready for production yet.

kind regards.

-a
| PHONE :: 303.497.6469
| --Dogen

Jamis Buck

you are an animal jamis!

_Homo sapiens_, to be precise. ;)
thanks very much! for those of you wondering the sole intrusion into
jamis'
code is a check for a 'field=' method. eg. you could implement your own
Array#fields= method and not use arrayfields.

Actually, I do a check to see if 'fields=' is already defined (by
arrayfields, for example), and if is hasn't been, I define it. That way
the interface is consistent, whether you're using arrayfields or not.
Pretty similar to what I did for the last version.
i subscribe to the sqlite mailing list and read it often. 3 is
definitely
not ready for production yet.

Good to know. I'll hold of a bit longer, then. :) It's not like I
haven't got enough to do, after all!
kind regards.

-a

- Jamis

--
Jamis Buck
(e-mail address removed)
http://www.jamisbuck.org/jamis

Justin Rudd

After modifying the sqlite-api.c includes slightly, I
tried compiling it using MSVC++ 6.0 (on WIn 2K PRO)
and I got link errors. (See below:)

So where is _sqlite_progress_handler and
_sqlite_commit_hook defined?

sqlite_progress_handler and sqlite_commit_hook aren't exported in the
pre-built Windows DLL. I built my own version of SqlLite (that also
removes the dependency on MSVCRT.dll), linked it against SqlLite/Ruby
2.0.0 beta and all is well.

Good news is...this one only took me about a half an hour. Guess the
6 hours I spent on MySQL this morning paid off.

I'll send the DLL to Jamis so he can put in the project. Let me know
if you have any issues with it. I didn't test it extensively (time
constraints...wife came home...gotta spend time with the wife :))