[ANN] SqlStatement 1.0.0 - hide the syntax of SQL behind familiarruby syntax

Ken Bloom

sqlstatement - Generate complex SQL statements programmatically

The main goal of this library is to be able to construct an SQL
statement from "slices" that concern different aspects of the final
query (perhaps in different places in your code) and then combine them
all together into one statement easily.

Another important goal of this library is to give some consistent Ruby
syntax to three statements (INSERT, SELECT, and UPDATE) that seem to
have different enough syntax that one has two write different code to
generate each kind of statement.

I use my SQL database (specifically MySQL) largely as a bulk data
processing engine, by doing INSERT...SELECT or CREATE TABLE...SELECT
statements. This library is intended to make that kind of coding easier.
I expect that Object Relational mappers (such as ActiveRecord) are more
useful for most people, who are performing queries and
inserting/updating/querying for individual records. I have nevertheless
added INSERT...VALUES statements, and will add other statements soon, for
consistency.

This library is inspired by CLSQL for Common LISP, or SchemeQL for
Scheme, although it is very different from these two libraries. Scheme
and LISP‘s use of s-expressions make it very easy to construct an entire
sublanguage for the WHERE clause, simply by list parsing. The Criteria
library for Ruby has attempted this, but in a more limited manner than
SchemeQL or CLSQL. My library aims to cover much of the functionality in
these libraries.

This library doesn‘t try to abstract out the limitations of your DBMS,
and I think that the SQL it uses should be fairly portable, in large
measure because it hasn‘t attempted to deal with serious CREATE TABLE
statements, where a lot of syntax concerning types, keys and sequences
is much more variable.

This library can be downloaded from
http://rubyforge.org/projects/sqlstatement/
Its rdoc documentation is online at http://sqlstatement.rubyforge.org/

License: BSD license

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

sqlstatement - Generate complex SQL statements programmatically

The main goal of this library is to be able to construct an SQL
statement from "slices" that concern different aspects of the final
query (perhaps in different places in your code) and then combine them
all together into one statement easily.

Another important goal of this library is to give some consistent Ruby
syntax to three statements (INSERT, SELECT, and UPDATE) that seem to
have different enough syntax that one has two write different code to
generate each kind of statement.

I use my SQL database (specifically MySQL) largely as a bulk data
processing engine, by doing INSERT...SELECT or CREATE TABLE...SELECT
statements. This library is intended to make that kind of coding =20
easier.
I expect that Object Relational mappers (such as ActiveRecord) are =20
more
useful for most people, who are performing queries and
inserting/updating/querying for individual records. I have =20
nevertheless
added INSERT...VALUES statements, and will add other statements =20
soon, for
consistency.

This library is inspired by CLSQL for Common LISP, or SchemeQL for
Scheme, although it is very different from these two libraries. Scheme
and LISP=91s use of s-expressions make it very easy to construct an =20=
entire
sublanguage for the WHERE clause, simply by list parsing. The Criteria
library for Ruby has attempted this, but in a more limited manner than
SchemeQL or CLSQL. My library aims to cover much of the =20
functionality in
these libraries.

This library doesn=91t try to abstract out the limitations of your = DBMS,
and I think that the SQL it uses should be fairly portable, in large
measure because it hasn=91t attempted to deal with serious CREATE = TABLE
statements, where a lot of syntax concerning types, keys and sequences
is much more variable.

This library can be downloaded from
http://rubyforge.org/projects/sqlstatement/
Its rdoc documentation is online at http://sqlstatement.rubyforge.org/

License: BSD license

--=20

Hi Ken-

This sounds really cool. But I don't see any examples really in =
the =20
docs. Do you have a page with some simple examples of how you would =20
use this and why its so cool?

Cheers-
-Ezra

Ken Bloom

Hi Ken-

This sounds really cool. But I don't see any examples really in the
docs. Do you have a page with some simple examples of how you would
use this and why its so cool?

Cheers-
-Ezra

I've got an example.rb file in the gem (in bin/). I wasn't sure where the
best place was to put it in the gem, so if you know of another more
visible place (where it won't get documented like it's part of the
library), I'll happily move it there.

--Ken

ara.t.howard

I've got an example.rb file in the gem (in bin/). I wasn't sure where the
best place was to put it in the gem, so if you know of another more
visible place (where it won't get documented like it's part of the
library), I'll happily move it there.

--Ken

here's the gemspec i use. it's for directories named 'libname-x.x.x', but you
can ignore that part if you wish.

~: > cat a.rb
lib, version = File::basename(File::dirname(File::expand_path(__FILE__))).split %r/-/, 2

require 'rubygems'

Gem::Specification::new do |spec|
spec.name = lib
spec.version = version
spec.platform = Gem::platform::RUBY
spec.summary = lib

#
# the important part
#
spec.files = Dir::glob "**/**"
spec.executables = Dir::glob("bin/*").map{|exe| File::basename exe}

spec.require_path = "lib"
spec.autorequire = lib

spec.has_rdoc = File::exist? "doc"
spec.test_suite_file = "test/#{ lib }.rb" if File::directory? "test"

spec.author = "Ara T. Howard"
spec.email = "(e-mail address removed)"
spec.homepage = "http://codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/#{ lib }/"
end

so, this just grabs everything. then you can make a dir called samples/,
examples/, or whatever and it gets included.

regards.

-a