[ANN] Standard library documentation available

Gavin Sinclair

Folks,

On the eve of my hiking holiday in New Zealand, ill-timed to clash
with the Rugby World Cup quarter finals, I have rushed through the
preparation of a fairly useful set of standard library documentation.

See http://stdlib-doc.rubyforge.org/html/index.html

It's all RDoc-generated. If you like what you see, and want to see
more, feel free to contribute some RDoc comments. They'll end up in
this collection soon enough with credit to contributors.

Suggestions for improvement welcome.

Cheers,
Gavin

Raphael Bauduin

Gavin said:
Folks,

On the eve of my hiking holiday in New Zealand, ill-timed to clash
with the Rugby World Cup quarter finals, I have rushed through the
preparation of a fairly useful set of standard library documentation.

See http://stdlib-doc.rubyforge.org/html/index.html

It's all RDoc-generated. If you like what you see, and want to see
more, feel free to contribute some RDoc comments. They'll end up in
this collection soon enough with credit to contributors.

Suggestions for improvement welcome.

Cheers,
Gavin

Cool! It's already bookmarked! :)

Is there a place where rdoc is clearly documented? I'd like to use it
for my code too, but didn't find really good doc about it.

Raph

Kent Dahl

Gavin said:
On the eve of my hiking holiday in New Zealand, ill-timed to clash
with the Rugby World Cup quarter finals, I have rushed through the
preparation of a fairly useful set of standard library documentation.

See http://stdlib-doc.rubyforge.org/html/index.html

Excellent work!

Are these available in a nice download, or do I have to use CVS or wget
to get a local copy?
It's all RDoc-generated. If you like what you see, and want to see
more, feel free to contribute some RDoc comments. They'll end up in
this collection soon enough with credit to contributors.

Suggestions for improvement welcome.

A small error in the TOC, which may be RDoc related:

Notice the text is resolv for both, but probably should be
resolv-replace for the latter, or am I missing something?

gabriele renzi

il Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:21:03 +0900, Gavin Sinclair
Suggestions for improvement welcome.

well, obviousl please make them avaiòable as a tar.gz , xml, chm, ri
data file and whatever :)

One note:
fileutils has stuff like
+:method+.
I think the + is RDoc markup that gets wrongly interpreted, for all
the Symbols.

gsinclair

gabriele renzi said:
il Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:21:03 +0900, Gavin Sinclair

well, obviousl please make them avaiòable as a tar.gz , xml, chm, ri
data file and whatever :)

That will happen; some of it, anyway. Because I was in a hurry, I
hacked that stuff together. But the tools are half-done to generate
everything yourself.
One note:
fileutils has stuff like
+:method+.
I think the + is RDoc markup that gets wrongly interpreted, for all
the Symbols.

Ah yeah, I got sick of typing <tt> and hoped RDoc would change. It
didn't, so I have to go back and change it :)

Cheers,
Gavin

gsinclair

Kent Dahl said:
Excellent work!

Are these available in a nice download, or do I have to use CVS or wget
to get a local copy?

Not available yet, I'm afraid, and I wouldn't touch the CVS either.
It's way out of date and I need to replace the repository from
scratch.

I'd like ideas on how it should be distributed, though. Initially I
was going to commit all the generated RDoc stuff to CVS so people
could easily get the latest. However, I think that's a bit much. I
think I'll concentrate on the tools that allow you to generate it
yourself, and then make documentation snapshots downloadable. In
fact, I'll make one downloadable tonight since there's a couple of
requests. But then no activity for two weeks!

Another issue to consider is what docs should be shown: latest stable
release or CVS? What if 1.8.x is out but many people are still using
1.8.0? I'll consider these questions when it gets hosted on
ruby-doc.org.

A quick note on that matter. I intend to keep hosting the software on
rubyforge, but will place the end results on ruby-doc.org for online
viewing.
A small error in the TOC, which may be RDoc related:

Notice the text is resolv for both, but probably should be
resolv-replace for the latter, or am I missing something?

Yep, my error. Over-eagerly applying a Vim macro. Will fix.

Cheers,
Gavin