[ANN] Sup 0.2 released

William Morgan

Sup version 0.2 has been released!

http://sup.rubyforge.org

Sup is a console-based email client for people with a lot of email.
It supports tagging, very fast full-text search, automatic contact-
list management, and more. If you're the type of person who treats
email as an extension of your long-term memory, Sup is for you.

Sup makes it easy to:
- Handle massive amounts of email.

- Mix email from different sources: mbox files (even across different
machines), Maildir directories, IMAP folders, POP accounts, and
GMail accounts.

- Instantaneously search over your entire email collection. Search
over body text, or use a query language to combine search
predicates in any way.

- Handle multiple accounts. Replying to email sent to a particular
account will use the correct SMTP server, signature, and from
address.

- Add custom code to handle certain types of messages or to handle
certain types of text within messages.

- Organize email with user-defined labels, automatically track
recent contacts, and much more!

The goal of Sup is to become the email client of choice for nerds
everywhere.

Changes:

== 0.2 / 2007-10-29
* Complete hook system for user-inserted code.
* GPG signature verification and decryption.
* Automatically scold users who top-post.
* Automatically warn when sending a message with words like
"attachment" in the body if there aren't actually any attachments to
the message.
* Millions of bugfixes.

http://sup.rubyforge.org

Konrad Meyer

--nextPart1465896.5IBFMYqjEU

Quoth William Morgan:
Sup version 0.2 has been released!
=20
http://sup.rubyforge.org
=20
[...]
=3D=3D 0.2 / 2007-10-29
* Complete hook system for user-inserted code.
* GPG signature verification and decryption.
* Automatically scold users who top-post.
* Automatically warn when sending a message with words like
"attachment" in the body if there aren't actually any attachments to
the message.
* Millions of bugfixes.
=20
http://sup.rubyforge.org
=20
=20
--=20
William <[email protected]>

Looks very cool. I have a couple questions:
* Can sup fetch mail from a pop3 server (over ssl) and store it to a loca=
l=20
mailbox, using that as a source?
* Can sup use any sort of spam filtering?

Thanks,
=2D-=20
Konrad Meyer <[email protected]> http://konrad.sobertillnoon.com/

--nextPart1465896.5IBFMYqjEU

--nextPart1465896.5IBFMYqjEU--

Manish Sapariya

Great stuff.
However I felt that I should have following functionality, may be there
is way
but I could not figure it out in my brief usage.

- I would like to cache the mails themselves, primarily because I have
very slow
connection to my mail server.
- Spam filtering and auto-trashing spam mails. Is there way I can write
filter rule
to automatically delete the mails marked as Spam.
- When sending mails, can I use designated smtp mail server instead of
sendmail.
- May be this is known bug, but when I added more sources, it overwrites
the first
one. I had to manually edit sources.yaml.
- Is there a way for asking user for password instead of copying it in
yaml file,
every time one starts sup.
- Are there any plans to support this on windows?

Great tool. I am looking forward to future releases.
Thanks,
Manish

wmorgan-ruby-talk

Excerpts from Konrad Meyer's message of Mon Oct 29 21:16:16 -0700 2007:
* Can sup fetch mail from a pop3 server (over ssl) and store it to a
local mailbox, using that as a source?

Sadly there's no POP functionality. (Patches welcome, of course!)
* Can sup use any sort of spam filtering?

There's no built-in spam filtering. You can mark messages/threads as
spam, but all that really does it hide them. So any spam filtering has
to be done before the mail hits the Sup index.

wmorgan-ruby-talk

Excerpts from Manish Sapariya's message of Tue Oct 30 04:22:44 -0700 2007:
- I would like to cache the mails themselves, primarily because I have
very slow connection to my mail server.

You could download and store them locally with fetchmail. But (if you're
using IMAP) Sup makes fairly efficient use of its IMAP connection once
everything's been indexed, so you could just try it and see if it's too
slow.
- Spam filtering and auto-trashing spam mails. Is there way I can
write filter rule to automatically delete the mails marked as Spam.

If you're using fetchmail as above, you can filter with procmail.
There's also a patch on the sup-talk list which will allow you to do
programmatic filtering at message import time directly in Sup.
- When sending mails, can I use designated smtp mail server instead of
sendmail.

Currently you have to use an external program to deliver mail. You don't
have to install sendmail proper though. The Sup Wiki lists a couple
simple sendmail-style programs and the corresponding Sup configuration.
- May be this is known bug, but when I added more sources, it
overwrites the first one. I had to manually edit sources.yaml.

Known bug. Sorry! If you remove the SentLoader and DraftLoader lines in
sources.yaml, sup-add should start working.
- Is there a way for asking user for password instead of copying it in
yaml file, every time one starts sup.

Not currently.
- Are there any plans to support this on windows?

It is reported to work under Cygwin.