[ann] svg graph generator, early release

Simon Strandgaard

It looks great Simon.
Are you planning to incorporate other chart types ?
( pie, gantt, etc. )

Minor suggestion: make shadows optional, they look nice on screen,
sometimes not that good on cheap printers.

I am considering making a barchart. I have no plans about pie nor gantt
charts (yet).

shadows.. hmm. SVG can be configured with CSS, I guess I can do something
fancy, so that another styles is used if media==printer.

Opinions about the code are in paticular welcome :)

vruz

[snip]
shadows.. hmm. SVG can be configured with CSS, I guess I can do something
fancy, so that another styles is used if media==printer.

you *may* want to have shadows if you have a good laser printer
you *may* want to disable shadows on screen
Opinions about the code are in paticular welcome :)

having a look at it now :)

cheers,

Simon Strandgaard

Any relation or shared code or comparisons with Sean Russell's SVG::Graph?

http://www.rubyxml.com/index.rb/Applications@SVG_Graph_0.3.0.txt

Wow.. there is a bunch of nice charts here.
I wasn't aware of this package.

There is no relation yet, at this moment there is no dependencies on other
packages (except test::unit).

I will think I will take a peek at Sean's source. I can see he has been
able to place the labels in a nice way.

btw: Thanks James for this link.

Aron Stansvik

Not that it really matters, but graph != chart, they are different
things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graph. I've considered using
ruby-svg for generating graphs of PostgreSQL databases, but I think
I'll end up generating Dot files for Graphviz instead.

Best regards,
Aron Stansvik