ANN: Sydebar 1.0 - A browser sidebar generator for Pythondocumentation

Remy Blank

(I apologize for the poorly formatted message. Something between my news
client and the server decided, besides delaying the message for over 17
hours, to add an empty line for every line of text, which obviously
messed up some headers. Here's the content again, and hopefully this
message comes through unaltered.)

I am pleased to announce the first release of Sydebar, a browser sidebar
generator for Python documentation. For the impatient, sample outputs
for all Python versions ever released can be found here:

http://c-space.org/download/Sydebar/samples/

The program generates a single, self-contained XHTML file for a specific
Python documentation URL, which can be local or remote. The generated
file is loaded into the sidebar of some popular browsers (tested on
Firefox and Opera, Mozilla should work as well), and presents a tabbed
interface with one page for each of the following documentation sections:

* Tutorial
* Language reference
* Library reference
* Python/C API
* Extending and embedding
* Global module index

Each page shows a collapsible tree of chapters, with links opening the
corresponding section in the main browser pane. The global module index
features an incremental search functionality with fast keyboard navigation.

Moreover, a search page allows performing searches on various subsets of
python.org (specific parts of the website, PEPs, newsgroups, PyPI and
the issue tracker).

The documentation and PyPI entry can be found here:

http://c-space.org/software/Sydebar.html
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Sydebar

I would like to mention that Sydebar was inspired by python-sidebar from
Daniel Lundin at Edgewall Software, and even though I didn't borrow any
code from there, the layout does bear quite some resemblance.

Feedback is very welcome.

Thanks for reading!
-- Remy

Max M

Remy Blank skrev:
(I apologize for the poorly formatted message. Something between my news
client and the server decided, besides delaying the message for over 17
hours, to add an empty line for every line of text, which obviously
messed up some headers. Here's the content again, and hopefully this
message comes through unaltered.)

I am pleased to announce the first release of Sydebar, a browser sidebar
generator for Python documentation. For the impatient, sample outputs
for all Python versions ever released can be found here:

http://c-space.org/download/Sydebar/samples/

This looks great. I have been missing my chm based docs since moving to
Python. This goes a long way.

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/