ANN: Sydebar 1.0 - A browser sidebar generator for Pythondocumentation

Discussion in 'Python' started by Remy Blank, Jun 4, 2008.

  1. Remy Blank

    Remy Blank Guest

    (I apologize for the poorly formatted message. Something between my news
    client and the server decided, besides delaying the message for over 17
    hours, to add an empty line for every line of text, which obviously
    messed up some headers. Here's the content again, and hopefully this
    message comes through unaltered.)

    I am pleased to announce the first release of Sydebar, a browser sidebar
    generator for Python documentation. For the impatient, sample outputs
    for all Python versions ever released can be found here:

    http://c-space.org/download/Sydebar/samples/

    The program generates a single, self-contained XHTML file for a specific
    Python documentation URL, which can be local or remote. The generated
    file is loaded into the sidebar of some popular browsers (tested on
    Firefox and Opera, Mozilla should work as well), and presents a tabbed
    interface with one page for each of the following documentation sections:

    * Tutorial
    * Language reference
    * Library reference
    * Python/C API
    * Extending and embedding
    * Global module index

    Each page shows a collapsible tree of chapters, with links opening the
    corresponding section in the main browser pane. The global module index
    features an incremental search functionality with fast keyboard navigation.

    Moreover, a search page allows performing searches on various subsets of
    python.org (specific parts of the website, PEPs, newsgroups, PyPI and
    the issue tracker).

    The documentation and PyPI entry can be found here:

    http://c-space.org/software/Sydebar.html
    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Sydebar

    I would like to mention that Sydebar was inspired by python-sidebar from
    Daniel Lundin at Edgewall Software, and even though I didn't borrow any
    code from there, the layout does bear quite some resemblance.

    Feedback is very welcome.

    Thanks for reading!
    -- Remy

    Remy Blank, Jun 4, 2008

  2. Remy Blank

    Max M Guest

    Remy Blank skrev:
    > (I apologize for the poorly formatted message. Something between my news
    > client and the server decided, besides delaying the message for over 17
    > hours, to add an empty line for every line of text, which obviously
    > messed up some headers. Here's the content again, and hopefully this
    > message comes through unaltered.)
    >

    > I am pleased to announce the first release of Sydebar, a browser sidebar
    > generator for Python documentation. For the impatient, sample outputs
    > for all Python versions ever released can be found here:
    >
    > http://c-space.org/download/Sydebar/samples/

    This looks great. I have been missing my chm based docs since moving to
    Python. This goes a long way.

    --

    hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

    http://www.mxm.dk/