[ANN] Tattle - The Ruby Census

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Chad Fowler, Jan 8, 2007.

  1. Chad Fowler

    Chad Fowler Guest

    Greetings and Happy New Year, Rubyists!

    At the first Rails Edge conference (http://therailsedge.com), Jim
    Weirich, Bruce Williams, and I were chatting about how to improve the
    RubyGems platform-specific behavior, when we realized that it would be
    really helpful to have more info about the install footprint of the
    Ruby community at large.

    So instead of going right into hacking RubyGems as was our plan, we
    created a little census tool and an accompanying web site to help us
    collect information. Most of the info we collect is from
    Config::CONFIG, with the addition of the RubyGems version.

    We know this information will help the implementers of RubyGems, and
    we hope it will also help Ruby implementers and library developers as
    well.

    To install:

    $ sudo gem install tattle

    To submit your info:

    $ tattle

    If you want to see what would be posted before posting, you can do:

    $ tattle report

    The information gets posted to http://tattle.rubygarden.org. You can
    view the posted data with your web browser at that URL.

    Thanks!
    Chad Fowler
    http://www.chadfowler.com
     
    Chad Fowler, Jan 8, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Chad Fowler

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Jan 8, 2007, at 13:00, Chad Fowler wrote:

    > Greetings and Happy New Year, Rubyists!
    >
    > At the first Rails Edge conference (http://therailsedge.com), Jim
    > Weirich, Bruce Williams, and I were chatting about how to improve the
    > RubyGems platform-specific behavior, when we realized that it would be
    > really helpful to have more info about the install footprint of the
    > Ruby community at large.


    Note that this will help us complete the most-requested RubyGems
    feature, the install --platform option.

    > We know this information will help the implementers of RubyGems, and
    > we hope it will also help Ruby implementers and library developers as
    > well.
    >
    > To install:
    >
    > $ sudo gem install tattle
    >
    > To submit your info:
    >
    > $ tattle
    >
    > If you want to see what would be posted before posting, you can do:
    >
    > $ tattle report
    >
    > The information gets posted to http://tattle.rubygarden.org. You can
    > view the posted data with your web browser at that URL.


    --
    Eric Hodel - - http://blog.segment7.net

    I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!
     
    Eric Hodel, Jan 8, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Chad Fowler

    Kashia Buch Guest

    Hi,

    > collect information. Most of the info we collect is from
    > Config::CONFIG, with the addition of the RubyGems version.


    I find this a worthy cause, and shared my configuration options...
    just to find out that I totally provided wrong information
    about my system! :p

    Reason: Tattle uses Config::CONFIG, which is where the ruby was
    compiled in, not what it is running on.

    $ uname -a
    Darwin 8.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.0: Fri Sep 8 17:18:57 PDT 2006;
    root:xnu-792.12.6.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

    But tattle reported `arch, powerpc-darwin8.4.0`, just so. I
    compiled ruby before on that system, upgraded, and now spread
    false information. :p

    Can happen, won't happen to many, just wanted to say so, how
    clever your approach is, you might want to revise it a little? :p

    Anyway, very nice idea, happy to be of service providing info,
    have a nice day.

    Kashia

    --
    Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
     
    Kashia Buch, Jan 8, 2007
    #3
  4. Chad Fowler

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Jan 8, 2007, at 14:21, Kashia Buch wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    >> collect information. Most of the info we collect is from
    >> Config::CONFIG, with the addition of the RubyGems version.

    >
    > I find this a worthy cause, and shared my configuration options...
    > just to find out that I totally provided wrong information
    > about my system! :p
    >
    > Reason: Tattle uses Config::CONFIG, which is where the ruby was
    > compiled in, not what it is running on.


    Its still darwin 8, so gems for your version of ruby should work ok
    with gems compiled for any other darwin 8 version. If you built for
    darwin 8 but your uname -a now reported AIX that would be cause for
    alarm.

    --
    Eric Hodel - - http://blog.segment7.net

    I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!
     
    Eric Hodel, Jan 9, 2007
    #4
  5. Re: Tattle - The Ruby Census

    Chad Fowler wrote:
    > Greetings and Happy New Year, Rubyists!
    >
    > At the first Rails Edge conference (http://therailsedge.com), Jim
    > Weirich, Bruce Williams, and I were chatting about how to improve the
    > RubyGems platform-specific behavior, when we realized that it would be
    > really helpful to have more info about the install footprint of the
    > Ruby community at large.
    >
    > So instead of going right into hacking RubyGems as was our plan, we
    > created a little census tool and an accompanying web site to help us
    > collect information. Most of the info we collect is from
    > Config::CONFIG, with the addition of the RubyGems version.
    >
    > We know this information will help the implementers of RubyGems, and
    > we hope it will also help Ruby implementers and library developers as
    > well.
    >
    > To install:
    >
    > $ sudo gem install tattle
    >
    > To submit your info:
    >
    > $ tattle
    >
    > If you want to see what would be posted before posting, you can do:
    >
    > $ tattle report
    >
    > The information gets posted to http://tattle.rubygarden.org. You can
    > view the posted data with your web browser at that URL.


    This is a great idea.

    Are there plans to allow submission of a semi-anonymous collection of
    internal census data from potentially thousands of internally managed
    clients? Perhaps some way to submit to you directly a data file
    containing a summation of the data submitted individually to tattle.

    That --platform option sounds very interesting as does the whole
    discussion of footprint.
     
    Rob Muhlestein, Jan 9, 2007
    #5
  6. Re: Tattle - The Ruby Census

    Rob Muhlestein wrote:
    > Chad Fowler wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings and Happy New Year, Rubyists!
    >>
    >> At the first Rails Edge conference (http://therailsedge.com), Jim
    >> Weirich, Bruce Williams, and I were chatting about how to improve the
    >> RubyGems platform-specific behavior, when we realized that it would be
    >> really helpful to have more info about the install footprint of the
    >> Ruby community at large.
    >>
    >> So instead of going right into hacking RubyGems as was our plan, we
    >> created a little census tool and an accompanying web site to help us
    >> collect information. Most of the info we collect is from
    >> Config::CONFIG, with the addition of the RubyGems version.
    >>
    >> We know this information will help the implementers of RubyGems, and
    >> we hope it will also help Ruby implementers and library developers as
    >> well.
    >>
    >> To install:
    >>
    >> $ sudo gem install tattle
    >>
    >> To submit your info:
    >>
    >> $ tattle
    >>
    >> If you want to see what would be posted before posting, you can do:
    >>
    >> $ tattle report
    >>
    >> The information gets posted to http://tattle.rubygarden.org. You can
    >> view the posted data with your web browser at that URL.
    >>

    >
    > This is a great idea.
    >
    > Are there plans to allow submission of a semi-anonymous collection of
    > internal census data from potentially thousands of internally managed
    > clients? Perhaps some way to submit to you directly a data file
    > containing a summation of the data submitted individually to tattle.
    >
    > That --platform option sounds very interesting as does the whole
    > discussion of footprint.
    >
    >
    >
    >

    Yes, it's a great idea ... but ... you are going to get *very* biased
    statistics, because many Ruby users will be prohibited, either
    electronically or by organizational policy, from uploading such information.

    --
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, PGS, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given rabbits fire.
     
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Jan 9, 2007
    #6
  7. Chad Fowler

    Bil Kleb Guest

    Re: Tattle - The Ruby Census

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
    >
    > Yes, it's a great idea ... but ... you are going to get *very* biased
    > statistics, because many Ruby users will be prohibited, either
    > electronically or by organizational policy, from uploading such
    > information.


    Our place is medium-paranoid, and after doing a "tattle report",
    I was comfortable doing a "tattle". So far, our IT Security folks
    haven't rained down upon me like the CDA in Monsters Inc.

    Regards,
    --
    Bil Kleb
    http://kleb.tadalist.com/lists/public/427170
     
    Bil Kleb, Jan 9, 2007
    #7
  8. Re: Tattle - The Ruby Census

    Bil Kleb wrote:
    > M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes, it's a great idea ... but ... you are going to get *very* biased
    >> statistics, because many Ruby users will be prohibited, either
    >> electronically or by organizational policy, from uploading such
    >> information.

    >
    > Our place is medium-paranoid, and after doing a "tattle report",
    > I was comfortable doing a "tattle". So far, our IT Security folks
    > haven't rained down upon me like the CDA in Monsters Inc.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --
    > Bil Kleb
    > http://kleb.tadalist.com/lists/public/427170

    Yeah ... I would have no problem with what tattle sent to the web site
    on any of my three machines either. But it's better to check than run
    the risk of getting written up in a corporate setting. Most folks work
    in places that "tolerate" Internet use among employees but if you read
    the corporate policy, you'll find that there are a lot of things you
    can't do. Sending even that minuscule amount of system configuration
    info somewhere is most likely a no-no in a lot of companies.

    --
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, PGS, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given rabbits fire.
     
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Jan 9, 2007
    #8
  9. Chad Fowler

    Pit Capitain Guest

    Chad Fowler schrieb:
    > To install:
    >
    > $ sudo gem install tattle


    Chad, why does tattle depend on the hoe and rubyforge gems?

    Regards,
    Pit
     
    Pit Capitain, Jan 9, 2007
    #9
  10. Re: Tattle - The Ruby Census

    On Jan 8, 2007, at 10:25 PM, Bil Kleb wrote:

    > So far, our IT Security folks
    > haven't rained down upon me like the CDA in Monsters Inc.


    <cracks up> I love that movie.

    James Edward Gray II
     
    James Edward Gray II, Jan 9, 2007
    #10
  11. Chad Fowler

    stu Guest

    Re: Tattle - The Ruby Census

    Chad Fowler wrote:
    >
    > To submit your info:
    >
    > $ tattle
    >


    sweet but it/ruby does not resolve through my proxy (even tho gems etc
    does)...

    Posting information to Tattle server. Thanks!
    c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/http.rb:560:in `initialize': getaddrinfo: no
    address associated with hostname. (SocketError)
    from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/http.rb:560:in `connect'
    from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:48:in `timeout'
    from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:76:in `timeout'
    from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/http.rb:560:in `connect'
    from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/http.rb:553:in `do_start'
    from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/http.rb:542:in `start'
    from
    c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/tattle-1.0.1/lib/tattle.rb:29:in `post'
    from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/tattle-1.0.1/bin/tattle:14
    from c:/ruby/bin/tattle:18


    Well, I gave a gracious effort and died in the trenches...

    -stu
     
    stu, Jan 9, 2007
    #11
  12. Chad Fowler

    Mat Schaffer Guest

    On Jan 8, 2007, at 4:00 PM, Chad Fowler wrote:
    > The information gets posted to http://tattle.rubygarden.org. You can
    > view the posted data with your web browser at that URL.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Chad Fowler
    > http://www.chadfowler.com


    On a totally non-security related note, why doesn't the rubyforge
    home page forward to http://tattle.rubygarden.org/ ?

    If I google for 'ruby tattle' I get the rubyforge project near the
    top. But no ruby garden page on the first page of results.

    -Mat
     
    Mat Schaffer, Jan 9, 2007
    #12
  13. Chad Fowler

    Bil Kleb Guest

    Pit Capitain wrote:
    >
    > Chad, why does tattle depend on the hoe and rubyforge gems?


    Or alternatively, why isn't hoe and rubyforge /in/ rubygems?

    Later,
    --
    Bil Kleb
    http://fun3d.larc.nasa.gov
     
    Bil Kleb, Jan 9, 2007
    #13
  14. Chad Fowler

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Jan 9, 2007, at 4:29 AM, Pit Capitain wrote:

    > Chad Fowler schrieb:
    >> To install:
    >> $ sudo gem install tattle

    >
    > Chad, why does tattle depend on the hoe and rubyforge gems?


    Uh... because hoe is the single most awesome thing for ruby project
    development in the last 6 years? It is used in 5% of all rubygems.
    Get over it.
     
    Ryan Davis, Jan 9, 2007
    #14
  15. Chad Fowler

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Jan 9, 2007, at 9:55 AM, Bil Kleb wrote:

    > Pit Capitain wrote:
    >> Chad, why does tattle depend on the hoe and rubyforge gems?

    >
    > Or alternatively, why isn't hoe and rubyforge /in/ rubygems?


    Good question!

    Chad? :p
     
    Ryan Davis, Jan 9, 2007
    #15
  16. On Wed, Jan 10, 2007, Ryan Davis wrote:
    > >Chad, why does tattle depend on the hoe and rubyforge gems?

    >
    > Uh... because hoe is the single most awesome thing for ruby project
    > development in the last 6 years? It is used in 5% of all rubygems.
    > Get over it.


    I think the question is "why is this neat tool useful only to the gem's
    developer required to install the gem on end-user systems?"

    So... why is that?

    Ben
     
    Ben Bleything, Jan 9, 2007
    #16
  17. Chad Fowler

    Kashia Buch Guest

    Hi,

    >> Reason: Tattle uses Config::CONFIG, which is where the ruby was
    >> compiled in, not what it is running on.

    >
    > Its still darwin 8, so gems for your version of ruby should work ok with
    > gems compiled for any other darwin 8 version. If you built for darwin 8
    > but your uname -a now reported AIX that would be cause for alarm.


    of course it works, how would you live without ruby. ;)

    My point was merely that I was spreading false information, and others
    might
    too. :p

    Jo

    --
    Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
     
    Kashia Buch, Jan 9, 2007
    #17
  18. Chad Fowler

    Chad Fowler Guest

    Re: Tattle - The Ruby Census

    On 1/9/07, stu <> wrote:
    >
    > Chad Fowler wrote:
    > >
    > > To submit your info:
    > >
    > > $ tattle
    > >

    >
    > sweet but it/ruby does not resolve through my proxy (even tho gems etc
    > does)...
    >
    > Posting information to Tattle server. Thanks!
    > c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/http.rb:560:in `initialize': getaddrinfo: no
    > address associated with hostname. (SocketError)
    > from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/http.rb:560:in `connect'
    > from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:48:in `timeout'
    > from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:76:in `timeout'
    > from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/http.rb:560:in `connect'
    > from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/http.rb:553:in `do_start'
    > from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/http.rb:542:in `start'
    > from
    > c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/tattle-1.0.1/lib/tattle.rb:29:in `post'
    > from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/tattle-1.0.1/bin/tattle:14
    > from c:/ruby/bin/tattle:18
    >
    >
    > Well, I gave a gracious effort and died in the trenches...
    >


    Proxy support is on the TODO list (in my head). You will be mourned.

    Chad
     
    Chad Fowler, Jan 9, 2007
    #18
  19. Chad Fowler

    Chad Fowler Guest

    On 1/9/07, Kashia Buch <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > >> Reason: Tattle uses Config::CONFIG, which is where the ruby was
    > >> compiled in, not what it is running on.

    > >
    > > Its still darwin 8, so gems for your version of ruby should work ok with
    > > gems compiled for any other darwin 8 version. If you built for darwin 8
    > > but your uname -a now reported AIX that would be cause for alarm.

    >
    > of course it works, how would you live without ruby. ;)
    >
    > My point was merely that I was spreading false information, and others
    > might
    > too. :p


    You're right (both that the report was wrong and that it's probably an
    edge case). I personally think we can live with it for now, but it
    might be worth rethinking our approach at some point. Just for the
    record, we didn't think using Config::CONFIG was particularly clever
    :)

    Chad
     
    Chad Fowler, Jan 9, 2007
    #19
  20. Chad Fowler

    Chad Fowler Guest

    On 1/9/07, Bil Kleb <> wrote:
    > Pit Capitain wrote:
    > >
    > > Chad, why does tattle depend on the hoe and rubyforge gems?

    >
    > Or alternatively, why isn't hoe and rubyforge /in/ rubygems?
    >


    I think that's a fair question.

    I'm not answering it, but it's a good question. ;)

    Seriously, worth a chat on rubygems-developers, I think.

    Chad
     
    Chad Fowler, Jan 9, 2007
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. yerk5
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    452
    Raymond SCHMIT
    Jul 23, 2008
  2. jared jennings
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    109
    jared jennings
    Aug 10, 2003
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    235
  4. anne001
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    582
  5. Masao Mutoh
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    128
    Masao Mutoh
    Dec 4, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page