[ANN] test-loop - Continuous testing with fork/eval

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Suraj Kurapati, Oct 15, 2010.

  1. test-loop - Continuous testing for Ruby with fork/eval
    http://github.com/sunaku/test-loop

    test-loop is a fast continuous testing tool for Ruby that continuously
    detects and tests changes in your Ruby application in an efficient
    manner, whereby it:

    1. Absorbs the test execution overhead into the main Ruby process.
    2. Forks to evaluate your test files directly and without overhead.

    It relies on file modification times to determine what parts of your
    Ruby application have changed and then uses Rake's `String#pathmap`
    function to determine which test files in your test suite correspond
    to those changes.

    Features
    --------

    * Tests CHANGES in your Ruby application; does NOT run all tests
    every time.

    * Reabsorbs test execution overhead if the test or spec helper file
    changes.

    * Mostly I/O bound, so you can have it always running without CPU
    slowdowns.

    * Supports Test::Unit, RSpec, or any other testing framework that is
    utilized by your application's `test/test_helper.rb` and
    `spec/spec_helper.rb` files.

    * Implemented in less than 50 (SLOC) lines of code! :)

    Installation
    ------------

    As a Ruby gem:

    gem install test-loop

    As a Git clone:

    git clone git://github.com/sunaku/test-loop

    Invocation
    ----------

    If installed as a Ruby gem:

    test-loop

    If installed as a Git clone:

    ruby -Ilib bin/test-loop

    Operation
    ---------

    * Press Control-Z (or send the SIGTSTP signal) to forcibly run all
    tests, even if there are no changes in your Ruby application.

    * Press Control-\ (or send the SIGQUIT signal) to forcibly reabsorb
    the test execution overhead, even if its sources have not changed.

    * Press Control-C (or send the SIGINT signal) to quit the test loop.

    License
    -------

    Released under the ISC license. See the LICENSE file for details.

    Suraj Kurapati, Oct 15, 2010

  2. Suraj Kurapati, Oct 16, 2010

  3. Suraj Kurapati, Dec 31, 2010
  4. ### test-loop - Continuous testing for Ruby with fork/eval ###
    ### https://github.com/sunaku/test-loop#readme ###

    I released version 3.0.0 which removes the dependence on Rake's
    String#pathmap function by replacing them with lambda functions.

    This makes test-loop a completely native and portable Ruby script
    because it does not use any gems or standard libraries at all! :)

    Happy testing!

    Suraj Kurapati, Jan 5, 2011
  5. Suraj Kurapati, Jan 12, 2011
  6. cool stuff. might use that one day

    2011/1/12 Suraj Kurapati <>:
    > ### test-loop - Continuous testing for Ruby with fork/eval ###
    > ### =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 https://github.com/sunaku/t=

    est-loop#readme ###

    Jonas Pfenniger (zimbatm), Jan 12, 2011
  7. ### test-loop - Continuous testing for Ruby with fork/eval ###
    ### 4.0.0 https://github.com/sunaku/test-loop#readme ###

    I just released version 4.0.0 which adds fine-grained change
    detection (finds which tests changed inside your test files!)
    to further accelerate your already skyrocketing productivity:

    * Only run changed tests inside changed test files.

    * Run tests in parallel: one worker per test file.

    * Print the status of each test file after execution.

    * Rename `@after_test_execution` to `@after_all_tests`
    and change its function signature.

    * Clean up implementation and improve documentation.

    Happy testing!

    Suraj Kurapati, Jan 14, 2011
  8. ### test-loop - Continuous testing for Ruby with fork/eval ###
    ### 4.0.1 https://github.com/sunaku/test-loop#readme ###

    I just released version 4.0.1 with these changes:

    * Print how much time it took to run all tests.

    * Do not print test file before loading because it
    is hard to follow parallel test execution anyway.

    * Print rescued top-level exceptions to STDERR.

    * Strip surrounding spaces from parsed test names.

    * Use long options when passing test names in ARGV.

    * Only prepend lib/, test/, and spec/ to $LOAD_PATH.

    Happy testing!

    Suraj Kurapati, Jan 14, 2011