[ANN] Text::Format 1.0.0

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Austin Ziegler, Jun 25, 2005.

  1. I am pleased to finally announce the release of Text::Format 1.0.0.
    Thanks to Jim Freeze for reminding me that I had not yet done so.
    The code has been done for months, but I'd just gotten lazy about
    releasing it.

    Text::Format 1.0.0
    =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
    Text::Format is provides the ability to nicely format fixed-width
    text with knowledge of the writeable space (number of columns),
    margins, and indentation settings. Text::Format can work with either
    TeX::Hyphen or Text::Hyphen to hyphenate words when formatting.

    This is release 1.0, containing both feature enhancements and bug
    fixes over the previous version, 0.64.

    Text::Format is originally based on the Perl library of the same
    name by G=E1bor Egressy. It is copyright 2002 - 2005 by Austin Ziegler
    and is licenced under Ruby's licence. It is also available under the
    Perl Artistic licence.=20

    =3D=3D Text::Format 1.0.0
    * Changed installer: added a .gem package.
    * Changed installer: moving to a variant of setup.rb by Minero Aoki.
    * Fixed significant problems with #hard_margin wrapping and fallback
    issues, eliminating all known possibilities for an infinite loop
    in wrapping. Some of the formatting changes involved with this
    result in different and more subtle wrapping and splitting of
    words; please read the full documentation for details.
    * Clarified the API for #hyphenate_to (delineated the return value
    required if the hyphenator cannot hyphenate the word to the
    specified size).
    * Changed a number of public and private API calls to work better.
    As long as the constants provided by Text::Format have been used
    (and not direct access to the constant values), there will be no
    issues presented by most of these changes.
    * Changed the initialization of the Text::Format object. The
    documentation has also been updated to be correct. Note that this
    will mean that some uses of Text::Format will not work, as
    Text::Format.new now yields +self+ if a block is given instead of
    evaluating the block with Object#instance_eval.
    * Added text numbering generators (Text::Format::Alpha,
    Text::Format::Number, and Text::Format::Roman) to work with
    #tag_paragraphs and #tag_text to generate numbered paragraphs.
    * #nobreak_regex must be a hash of regular expressions, not strings
    that are converted to regular expressions. This Perlism has
    finally been removed.
    * The performance has been improved; the number of times that lines
    are joined together and then split apart has been reduced.
    * Changed the dependency to Text::Hyphen from TeX::Hyphen.
    * Added auto-split capabilities to #paragraphs. See the updated
    documentation.

    -austin
    --=20
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:

    Austin Ziegler, Jun 25, 2005

  2. On 6/24/05, Austin Ziegler <> wrote:
    > I am pleased to finally announce the release of Text::Format 1.0.0.
    > Thanks to Jim Freeze for reminding me that I had not yet done so.
    > The code has been done for months, but I'd just gotten lazy about
    > releasing it.

    http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=3D294

    -austin
    --=20
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:

    Austin Ziegler, Jun 25, 2005

  3. Re: Text::Format 1.0.0

    Would you post a few usage examples? It always helps to see how
    someone would use a library ;)

    .adam sanderson

    Adam Sanderson, Jun 25, 2005
  4. Austin Ziegler wrote:
    > On 6/24/05, Austin Ziegler <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am pleased to finally announce the release of Text::Format 1.0.0.
    >>Thanks to Jim Freeze for reminding me that I had not yet done so.
    >>The code has been done for months, but I'd just gotten lazy about
    >>releasing it.

    > http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=294

    Any idea what's going wrong here?

    $ gem list --remote | grep Text::Format
    Text::Format formats fixed-width text nicely.
    $ gem install 'Text::Format'
    Attempting local installation of 'Text::Format'
    Local gem file not found: Text::Format*.gem
    Attempting remote installation of 'Text::Format'
    ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
    Could not find Text::Format (> 0) in the repository

    Joel VanderWerf, Jun 25, 2005
  5. Austin Ziegler

    Bill Guindon Guest

    On 6/25/05, Joel VanderWerf <> wrote:
    > Austin Ziegler wrote:
    > > On 6/24/05, Austin Ziegler <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I am pleased to finally announce the release of Text::Format 1.0.0.
    > >>Thanks to Jim Freeze for reminding me that I had not yet done so.
    > >>The code has been done for months, but I'd just gotten lazy about
    > >>releasing it.

    > > http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=3D294

    >=20
    > Any idea what's going wrong here?
    >=20
    > $ gem list --remote | grep Text::Format
    > Text::Format formats fixed-width text nicely.
    > $ gem install 'Text::Format'
    > Attempting local installation of 'Text::Format'
    > Local gem file not found: Text::Format*.gem
    > Attempting remote installation of 'Text::Format'
    > ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
    > Could not find Text::Format (> 0) in the repository

    I found it using a search, either way, this worked for me...
    gem install text-format=20

    --=20
    Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

    Bill Guindon, Jun 25, 2005
  6. Bill Guindon wrote:
    > On 6/25/05, Joel VanderWerf <> wrote:
    >
    >>Austin Ziegler wrote:

    >>>http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=294

    >>Any idea what's going wrong here?
    >>
    >>$ gem list --remote | grep Text::Format
    >> Text::Format formats fixed-width text nicely.
    >>$ gem install 'Text::Format'
    >>Attempting local installation of 'Text::Format'
    >>Local gem file not found: Text::Format*.gem
    >>Attempting remote installation of 'Text::Format'
    >>ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
    >> Could not find Text::Format (> 0) in the repository

    > I found it using a search, either way, this worked for me...
    > gem install text-format

    Duh, I forgot to use the unix name of the project. Ok, works now.

    Joel VanderWerf, Jun 25, 2005