[ANN] Text::Format 1.0.0

Austin Ziegler

I am pleased to finally announce the release of Text::Format 1.0.0.
Thanks to Jim Freeze for reminding me that I had not yet done so.
The code has been done for months, but I'd just gotten lazy about
releasing it.

Text::Format 1.0.0
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Text::Format is provides the ability to nicely format fixed-width
text with knowledge of the writeable space (number of columns),
margins, and indentation settings. Text::Format can work with either
TeX::Hyphen or Text::Hyphen to hyphenate words when formatting.

This is release 1.0, containing both feature enhancements and bug
fixes over the previous version, 0.64.

Text::Format is originally based on the Perl library of the same
name by G=E1bor Egressy. It is copyright 2002 - 2005 by Austin Ziegler
and is licenced under Ruby's licence. It is also available under the
Perl Artistic licence.=20

=3D=3D Text::Format 1.0.0
* Changed installer: added a .gem package.
* Changed installer: moving to a variant of setup.rb by Minero Aoki.
* Fixed significant problems with #hard_margin wrapping and fallback
issues, eliminating all known possibilities for an infinite loop
in wrapping. Some of the formatting changes involved with this
result in different and more subtle wrapping and splitting of
words; please read the full documentation for details.
* Clarified the API for #hyphenate_to (delineated the return value
required if the hyphenator cannot hyphenate the word to the
specified size).
* Changed a number of public and private API calls to work better.
As long as the constants provided by Text::Format have been used
(and not direct access to the constant values), there will be no
issues presented by most of these changes.
* Changed the initialization of the Text::Format object. The
documentation has also been updated to be correct. Note that this
will mean that some uses of Text::Format will not work, as
Text::Format.new now yields +self+ if a block is given instead of
evaluating the block with Object#instance_eval.
* Added text numbering generators (Text::Format::Alpha,
Text::Format::Number, and Text::Format::Roman) to work with
#tag_paragraphs and #tag_text to generate numbered paragraphs.
* #nobreak_regex must be a hash of regular expressions, not strings
that are converted to regular expressions. This Perlism has
finally been removed.
* The performance has been improved; the number of times that lines
are joined together and then split apart has been reduced.
* Changed the dependency to Text::Hyphen from TeX::Hyphen.
* Added auto-split capabilities to #paragraphs. See the updated
documentation.

-austin
--=20
Austin Ziegler * (e-mail address removed)
* Alternate: (e-mail address removed)

http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=3D294

-austin
--=20
Austin Ziegler * (e-mail address removed)
* Alternate: (e-mail address removed)

Adam Sanderson

Would you post a few usage examples? It always helps to see how
someone would use a library ;)

.adam sanderson

Joel VanderWerf

Austin said:

Any idea what's going wrong here?

$ gem list --remote | grep Text::Format
Text::Format formats fixed-width text nicely.
$ gem install 'Text::Format'
Attempting local installation of 'Text::Format'
Local gem file not found: Text::Format*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'Text::Format'
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
Could not find Text::Format (> 0) in the repository

Bill Guindon

=20
Any idea what's going wrong here?
=20
$ gem list --remote | grep Text::Format
Text::Format formats fixed-width text nicely.
$ gem install 'Text::Format'
Attempting local installation of 'Text::Format'
Local gem file not found: Text::Format*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'Text::Format'
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
Could not find Text::Format (> 0) in the repository

I found it using a search, either way, this worked for me...
gem install text-format=20

--=20
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

Joel VanderWerf

Bill said:
I found it using a search, either way, this worked for me...
gem install text-format

Duh, I forgot to use the unix name of the project. Ok, works now.