[ANN] The MouseHole Proxy 1.0 -- a Greasemonkey alternative

why the lucky stiff

And now I ask these gaunt faces, "Is anyone in the mood for fledling
software, a few hours old?"

[*] the MouseHole proxy [*] 1.0 [*] with complimentary hoodwink.d free
pass [*]

= Background =
Lately, on RedHanded, we've been trying out an experiment with a
Greasemonkey script and a Ruby script. What we're doing is cladestine
off-web experimentation and it is of the utmost importance that we
remain concealed and uncatalogued by the major search engines.

Now we've challenged ourselves to replace Greasemonkey with a proxy
composed of Ruby.

= The Workings =
How does this proxy work? Well, THAT I can tell you.

* The proxy has a directory named `userScripts' which contains a bunch
of files with a .user.rb extension.
* You start up the proxy on your machine.
* Setup the proxy in the connection settings in your browser.
* As you surf, the proxy will rewrite the web, based on the scripts you
have in your `userScripts' directory.

The proxy is currently quite slow. And the HTML gets pretty munged
sometimes. And there is no caching.

But it's definitely cross-browser. And uses REXML for XPath support,
open-uri as a replacement for XMLHttpRequest, and JSON reading and printing.

= Crawling into the Hole =
A few MouseHole links:

* Project page: <http://rubyforge.org/projects/mousehole>
* Downloads: <http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=895>
* Announcement: <http://redhanded.hobix.com/inspect/theMouseholeProxy.html>

Over the next few days, we'll feature some basic user scripts on
RedHanded, so you can get the hang of scripting this thing.

_why

Phil Tomson

[...]

This looks like some kind of revolution starting over there at RedHanded. I
have this feeling that someone could end up winning next year's
'Hacker-of-the-year award' over all this... or perhaps a very slight
chance of banishment to Guantanamo (unlikely, but look on the bright
side, it's a tropical paradise).

Kudos and keep up the good work!

Phil