[ANN] The "Ruby Best Practices" Collaborative Blog

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Gregory Brown, Apr 14, 2009.

  1. Hi folks,

    This is a one-time announcement about yet another blog project of mine...

    =3D=3D What =3D=3D

    A couple weeks ago I put out a call for volunteers to run a
    collaborative blog with me focused on best practices in Ruby. It is
    now live at:

    http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

    =3D=3D Who =3D=3D

    For starters, I went with an 8 person core group, which aside from
    myself includes:

    James Britt, Kirk Haines, Robert Klemme, Jeremy McAnally, Sean
    O=92Halpin, Magnus Holm and Lakshan Perera

    =3D=3D Why =3D=3D

    You can read more about the details of the blog and each of these folks at:

    http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/about/

    But the general idea is that we want to provide great content that
    helps folks get better at Ruby while still keeping the focus on real
    world problems. We also want to have a lot of fun, too!

    Please enjoy the new blog, and get involved in the conversations that
    crop up as we continue to write new content. We will also begin
    accepting articles from casual contributors, so keep an eye out for an
    announcement about how that will work.

    -greg

    --=20
    BOOK: http://rubybestpractices.com
    TECH: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com
    NON-TECH: http://metametta.blogspot.com

    Gregory Brown, Apr 14, 2009

  2. Gregory Brown

    Ben Lovell Guest

    On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Gregory Brown <>wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > This is a one-time announcement about yet another blog project of mine...
    >
    > == What ==
    >
    > A couple weeks ago I put out a call for volunteers to run a
    > collaborative blog with me focused on best practices in Ruby. It is
    > now live at:
    >
    > http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

    Awesome... subscribed.

    Ben

    Ben Lovell, Apr 14, 2009

  3. Gregory Brown

    James Gray Guest

    On Apr 14, 2009, at 8:14 AM, Gregory Brown wrote:

    > A couple weeks ago I put out a call for volunteers to run a
    > collaborative blog with me focused on best practices in Ruby. It is
    > now live at:
    >
    > http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

    This is already shaping up to be a must-read, with only two real
    content posts so far. I really hope the trend continues.

    My only complaint is the lack of a <title> tag on the home page. I
    had to make up a title when I bookmarked it.

    James Edward Gray II

    James Gray, Apr 14, 2009
  4. On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Gregory Brown
    <> wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > This is a one-time announcement about yet another blog project of mine...
    >
    > =3D=3D What =3D=3D
    >
    > A couple weeks ago I put out a call for volunteers to run a
    > collaborative blog with me focused on best practices in Ruby. =A0 It is
    > now live at:
    >
    > http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

    Looks excellent!

    martin

    Martin DeMello, Apr 14, 2009
  5. Gregory Brown, Apr 14, 2009
  6. Gregory Brown

    Chuck Remes Guest

    On Apr 14, 2009, at 12:26 PM, Gregory Brown wrote:

    > On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:24 PM, James Gray <
    > > wrote:

    >> My only complaint is the lack of a <title> tag on the home page. I
    >> had to
    >> make up a title when I bookmarked it.

    > This should be fixed now, thanks.

    For those of us who read via RSS, it would be great if you either
    published the entire article to the news stream OR put a "more..."
    link into the summary so it is obvious there is more text.

    cr

    Chuck Remes, Apr 14, 2009
  7. On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Chuck Remes <> wrote:

    > For those of us who read via RSS, it would be great if you either published
    > the entire article to the news stream OR put a "more..." link into the
    > summary so it is obvious there is more text.

    Well, the summaries are completely independent from the text, so it
    should be pretty obvious over time. I thought about full text
    streams, but I don't trust the content to display properly that way.

    -greg

    Gregory Brown, Apr 14, 2009
  8. Gregory Brown

    Ben Lovell Guest

    On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Gregory Brown <>wrote:

    > On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Chuck Remes <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > For those of us who read via RSS, it would be great if you either

    > published
    > > the entire article to the news stream OR put a "more..." link into the
    > > summary so it is obvious there is more text.

    > Well, the summaries are completely independent from the text, so it
    > should be pretty obvious over time. I thought about full text
    > streams, but I don't trust the content to display properly that way.

    There are literally *stacks* of other technical blogs that display their
    contents correctly via feeds. What problem do you foresee?

    I would prefer to read the full text via RSS if possible.

    Great work otherwise!

    Ben Lovell, Apr 14, 2009
  9. Martin DeMello kirjoitti viestiss=E4=E4n (l=E4hetysaika tiistai, 14. huhtik=
    uuta 2009=20
    16:49:03):
    > On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Gregory Brown
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > Hi folks,
    > >
    > > This is a one-time announcement about yet another blog project of mine.=

    =2E.

    > > =3D=3D What =3D=3D
    > >
    > > A couple weeks ago I put out a call for volunteers to run a
    > > collaborative blog with me focused on best practices in Ruby. =A0 It is
    > > now live at:
    > >
    > > http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

    > Looks excellent!
    >
    > martin

    Agreed, not too web2point0

    Aapo Lehtinen, Apr 14, 2009
  10. Gregory Brown

    Tony Arcieri Guest

    On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Ben Lovell <>wrote:

    > There are literally *stacks* of other technical blogs that display their
    > contents correctly via feeds. What problem do you foresee?
    >
    > I would prefer to read the full text via RSS if possible.

    Yes, agreed. If the full text isn't in the RSS feed I typically won't
    bother reading it.

    I read many technical blogs with rich formatting and it's preserved just
    fine in my RSS reader.

    --
    Tony Arcieri
    medioh.com

    Tony Arcieri, Apr 14, 2009
  11. Re: The "Ruby Best Practices" Collaborative Blog

    Nice blog, especially the Blocks for Robustness post which uses one of
    my questions and gives me another good method of handling that problem.

    Michael Furmaniuk, Apr 14, 2009
  12. On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Tony Arcieri <> wrote:
    > On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Ben Lovell <>w=

    rote:

    >> There are literally *stacks* of other technical blogs that display their
    >> contents correctly via feeds. What problem do you foresee?
    >>
    >> I would prefer to read the full text via RSS if possible.
    >>

    > Yes, agreed. =A0If the full text isn't in the RSS feed I typically won't
    > bother reading it.

    Well, we can't have that, now can we?

    I just switched korma over to use full text feeds. We'll see how it works=
    out.
    If there are problems, please send me a direct email.

    -greg

    Gregory Brown, Apr 14, 2009
  13. Gregory Brown

    Ben Lovell Guest

    On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Gregory Brown <>wrote:

    I just switched korma over to use full text feeds. We'll see how it works
    > out.
    > If there are problems, please send me a direct email.
    >
    > -greg

    Great, thank you!

    Ben Lovell, Apr 14, 2009
  14. Gregory Brown

    john maclean Guest

    2009/4/14 Ben Lovell <>:
    > On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Gregory Brown <=
    >wrote:
    >
    > I just switched korma over to use full text feeds. =A0 We'll see how it w=

    orks
    >> out.
    >> If there are problems, please send me a direct email.
    >>
    >> -greg
    >>

    > Great, thank you!

    /me looks forward to some articles on testing.

    --=20
    John Maclean
    07739 171 531
    MSc (DIC)

    Timezone: GMT

    john maclean, Apr 14, 2009
  15. Gregory Brown

    Tony Arcieri Guest

    On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Gregory Brown <>wrote:

    > > Yes, agreed. If the full text isn't in the RSS feed I typically won't
    > > bother reading it.

    > Well, we can't have that, now can we?
    >
    > I just switched korma over to use full text feeds. We'll see how it works
    > out.
    > If there are problems, please send me a direct email.

    Thanks! And subscribed! :)

    --
    Tony Arcieri
    medioh.com

    Tony Arcieri, Apr 15, 2009
  16. On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 9:48 PM, Gregory Brown

    wrote:

    >>> There are literally *stacks* of other technical blogs that display thei=

    >>> contents correctly via feeds. What problem do you foresee?
    >>>
    >>> I would prefer to read the full text via RSS if possible.
    >>>

    >> Yes, agreed. =A0If the full text isn't in the RSS feed I typically won't
    >> bother reading it.

    > Well, we can't have that, now can we?
    >
    > I just switched korma over to use full text feeds. =A0 We'll see how it w=

    orks out.
    > If there are problems, please send me a direct email.

    Thanks for this, I'm on the side of those who prefer reading the full
    article in the RSS reader.
    I use Google Reader and it's showing up fine.

    I'm looking forward for more articles.
    Keep up the good job !!

    Jesus.

    Jesús Gabriel y Galán, Apr 15, 2009
  17. Gregory Brown

    Guest

    Re: The "Ruby Best Practices" Collaborative Blog

    great news: I've been looking forward to this since you mentioned it
    on your blog... and to be honest I wasn't expecting it this early.

    Diego

    , Apr 15, 2009
  18. On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 04:48:42 +0900
    Gregory Brown <> wrote:

    > On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Tony Arcieri <> wrote:
    > > On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Ben Lovell
    > > <>wrote:
    > >

    > >> There are literally *stacks* of other technical blogs that display
    > >> their contents correctly via feeds. What problem do you foresee?
    > >>
    > >> I would prefer to read the full text via RSS if possible.
    > >>

    > > Yes, agreed. =C2=A0If the full text isn't in the RSS feed I typically
    > > won't bother reading it.

    >=20
    > Well, we can't have that, now can we?
    >=20
    > I just switched korma over to use full text feeds. We'll see how it
    > works out. If there are problems, please send me a direct email.

    Doesn't that prevent gist embedding/highlighting in the feed?

    --=20
    ^ manveru

    Michael Fellinger, Apr 15, 2009
  19. On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Michael Fellinger
    <> wrote:

    >> Well, we can't have that, now can we?
    >>
    >> I just switched korma over to use full text feeds. =A0 We'll see how it
    >> works out. If there are problems, please send me a direct email.

    > Doesn't that prevent gist embedding/highlighting in the feed?

    I'm actually not sure. Anyone know the answer here?
    We definitely plan to use gist on the RBP blog.

    -greg

    Gregory Brown, Apr 15, 2009
  20. On 15.04.2009 17:46, Gregory Brown wrote:
    > On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Michael Fellinger
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Well, we can't have that, now can we?
    >>>
    >>> I just switched korma over to use full text feeds. We'll see how it
    >>> works out. If there are problems, please send me a direct email.

    >> Doesn't that prevent gist embedding/highlighting in the feed?

    > I'm actually not sure. Anyone know the answer here?
    > We definitely plan to use gist on the RBP blog.

    I don't know either. But let's see what happens when we have the first
    gist in a posting.

    Cheers

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Apr 15, 2009