[ANN] Trollop 1.15 released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by William Morgan, Sep 30, 2009.

  1. Dear Rubyists,

    I have released Trollop 1.15. This release is dedicated to my fellow wrinkled,
    old-fashioned, out-moded throwbacks who still use the commandline instead of
    clicking on their webapp.

    Trollop is a commandline option parser for Ruby that just gets out of your way.
    One line of code per option is all you need to write. For that, you get a nice
    automatically-generated help page, robust option parsing, subcommand support,
    and sensible defaults for everything you don't specify.

    It's one file. If you don't want to gem install it, just copy the damn thing
    into your lib/ directory and get off my lawn.

    Main page: http://trollop.rubyforge.org
    Release announcements and comments: http://all-thing.net/label/trollop/

    == FEATURES/PROBLEMS

    - Dirt-simple usage.
    - Sensible defaults. No tweaking necessary, much tweaking possible.
    - Support for long options, short options, short option bundling, and
    automatic type validation and conversion.
    - Support for subcommands.
    - Automatic help message generation, wrapped to current screen width.
    - Lots of unit tests.

    == REQUIREMENTS

    * A burning desire to write less code.

    == CHANGES in 1.15

    * Don't raise an exception when out of short arguments (thanks to Rafael
    Sevilla for pointing out how dumb this behavior was).
    --
    William <>
    William Morgan, Sep 30, 2009

  2. Re: Trollop 1.15 released

    William Morgan wrote:
    > I have released Trollop 1.15. This release is dedicated to my fellow
    > wrinkled, old-fashioned, out-moded throwbacks who still use the
    > commandline instead of clicking on their webapp.

    Many thanks for this new release and colorful dedication!

    Sincerely,

    A fellow old-fashioned commandline enthusiast. :)
    Suraj Kurapati, Oct 1, 2009

  3. William Morgan

    Tom Cloyd Guest

    William - thanks. I can use this. Just my style.

    t.

    William Morgan wrote:
    > Dear Rubyists,
    >
    > I have released Trollop 1.15. This release is dedicated to my fellow wrinkled,
    > old-fashioned, out-moded throwbacks who still use the commandline instead of
    > clicking on their webapp.
    >
    > Trollop is a commandline option parser for Ruby that just gets out of your way.
    > One line of code per option is all you need to write. For that, you get a nice
    > automatically-generated help page, robust option parsing, subcommand support,
    > and sensible defaults for everything you don't specify.
    >
    > It's one file. If you don't want to gem install it, just copy the damn thing
    > into your lib/ directory and get off my lawn.
    >
    > Main page: http://trollop.rubyforge.org
    > Release announcements and comments: http://all-thing.net/label/trollop/
    >
    > == FEATURES/PROBLEMS
    >
    > - Dirt-simple usage.
    > - Sensible defaults. No tweaking necessary, much tweaking possible.
    > - Support for long options, short options, short option bundling, and
    > automatic type validation and conversion.
    > - Support for subcommands.
    > - Automatic help message generation, wrapped to current screen width.
    > - Lots of unit tests.
    >
    > == REQUIREMENTS
    >
    > * A burning desire to write less code.
    >
    > == CHANGES in 1.15
    >
    > * Don't raise an exception when out of short arguments (thanks to Rafael
    > Sevilla for pointing out how dumb this behavior was).

    Tom Cloyd, MS MA, LMHC
    Private practice Psychotherapist
    Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
    << >> (email)
    << TomCloyd.com >> (website)
    << sleightmind.wordpress.com >> (mental health issues weblog)
    Tom Cloyd, Oct 1, 2009
  4. William Morgan

    Ed Howland Guest

    William,

    I like the style of Trollop. I started doing something similar, but it
    is a generator, that just happens to have a part of it that is a DSL
    for option generation. Right now, it just wraps GetOptLong. It could
    just as easily wrap TrollOp for the options part. I like the fact that
    it can live as a file in lib/.

    However, I'd like to package my stuff as a gem, and TrollOp would have
    to be packaged in a template folder in there. Not sure if that is the
    best way to handle it, or to require TrollOp as a gem dependency.

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed Howland
    http://greenprogrammer.wordpress.com