[ANN] Try Ruby is back up and better than ever!

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by andrew mcelroy, Dec 20, 2009.

  1. Greetings,

    First, I'd like to thank James for updating the link over at ruby-lang.org.

    As Mentioned before TryRuby.org is the new home of Try Ruby.
    TryRruby.sophrinix.com should resolve sometime soon by the middle of next week.
    The old link will simply be a redirect to TryRuby.org

    Now for the exciting news.

    All the lessons (including the ones using the File System) should now work.
    I would like to thank nanothief over at github for forking FakeFS and
    getting it to work
    with TryRuby!

    The new and improved Try Ruby is now on an EC2 instance rather than an
    old dedicated server with unimpressive pipes.
    For those interested, I am running Try Ruby on version ruby 1.9.1p376
    (2009-12-07 revision 26041) [i686-linux]

    With all this said, this opens the door for additional lessons. I will
    keep future plans and speculations limited to the ticket tracker and
    wiki
    over at the github repo for Try Ruby!

    Enjoy!

    Respectfully,
    Andrew McElroy
    andrew mcelroy, Dec 20, 2009

  2. It looks nice.

    Has anyone tried using TryRuby with the Opera browser?
    I ask, because that's what I mostly use, and using Opera I couldn't
    edit my input:
    BackSpace didn't work at all, and the arrow keys gave strange results.

    Editing using BackSpace and the arrow keys seems fine using Firefox
    and Internet Explorer 8.

    Maybe it might be worth saying on the TryRuby page that it has been tested
    and works (or should work, depending on how confident you are)
    with Firefox and Internet Explorer, etc, but that there are "issues"
    with Opera (etc?).
    Colin Bartlett, Dec 21, 2009

  3. On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 6:55 AM, Colin Bartlett <> w=
    rote:
    > It looks nice.
    >
    > Has anyone tried using TryRuby with the Opera browser?
    > I ask, because that's what I mostly use, and using Opera I couldn't
    > edit my input:
    > =A0BackSpace didn't work at all, and the arrow keys gave strange results.

    Please open a ticket on github http://github.com/Sophrinix/TryRuby,
    I need to know what keypress_test,html says. From there I can create a
    conditional in the
    keyboard event method and support it.

    Thanks.
    Andrew McElroy

    andrew mcelroy, Dec 21, 2009
  4. On Monday 21 December 2009 06:55:45 am Colin Bartlett wrote:
    > Has anyone tried using TryRuby with the Opera browser?
    > I ask, because that's what I mostly use, and using Opera I couldn't
    > edit my input:
    > BackSpace didn't work at all, and the arrow keys gave strange results.

    I'm in Chrome Beta on Linux. Arrow keys work fine, but backspace seems to be
    interpreted as a delete.
    David Masover, Dec 21, 2009
  5. On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 1:36 PM, andrew mcelroy <> wrote=
    :

    Colin Bartlett, Dec 22, 2009
  6. On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Colin Bartlett <> w=
    rote:
    > On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 1:36 PM, andrew mcelroy <> wro=

    te:
    >> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 6:55 AM, Colin Bartlett <=

    > wrote:
    >>> Has anyone tried using TryRuby with the Opera browser?
    >>> I ask, because that's what I mostly use, and using Opera I couldn't
    >>> edit my input:
    >>> =A0BackSpace didn't work at all, and the arrow keys gave strange result=

    s.

    >> Please open a ticket on github http://github.com/Sophrinix/TryRuby,
    >> I need to know what keypress_test,html says. From there I can create a
    >> conditional in the keyboard event =A0method and support it.

    > For speed (sorry, I don't yet have a github account) the following happen=

    s:
    > =A0Arrow keys: Up=3D>& =A0Down=3D>) =A0LeftArrow =3D>% =A0Right=3D>'
    > Have I understood your question:
    > =A0"I need to know what keypress_test,html says" ?

    I am looking for Keycodes.

    For instance on a mac with firefox, when I press the up arrow key I get:

    Keycode: 38

    The other data section is nice, but its the keycodes that I am after.

    I hope that helps.

    Andrew McElroy

    andrew mcelroy, Dec 22, 2009