[ANN] Typo 2.0

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tobias Luetke, Apr 24, 2005.

  1. I'm proud to announce the 2.0 release of the typo web logging engine.
    What started as a toy project while I was waiting for a client at
    starbucks now became a prestige open source project with tons of
    modern features a dedicated dev team and even its own hosting service!

    You can find it at http://rubyforge.org/projects/typo/

    The 2.0 release has been long coming. Here are some of the new features:

    Highlights:

    * HTML admin - Thats right, I gave up. Typo now has a real html admin
    and you can access most of its features from it. Some minor features
    are still desktop client only but you can definitely get your blogging
    fix on vacation now.

    * Sophisticated Spam protection. Patrick Lenz ported the most popular
    Movable Type spam protection weapons right to the typo codebase. Typo
    ships with more spam protection than most other engines can get with
    plugins.

    * Ajax galore. Comments are posted using Ajax, We also have a live
    search like google suggest and live textile/markdown preview in the
    admin.
    * Pretty urls (permalinks)

    Other feature improvements:

    * One-click setup
    * Support for non-vhost installations
    * Support for multiple authors
    * Pagination
    * Syndication of 43 Things
    * Database backed sessions
    * Transition to ActionWebService
    * Markdown support
    * Migration script for MovableType 3 users
    * Extended testing suites

    Non code:

    Justin Palmer has started working on the Typo visual identity which is
    due to arrive with the next release (bye bye kubrick)
    You can see the new typo logo here: http://www.encytemedia.com/images/5.png

    I would like to thank all the contributors who sent patches and
    suggestions for this release. Especially I want to thank Patrick Lenz
    and Seth Hall for the tireless bug fixing and improvement of the code
    health.

    Typo is now 1435 lines of very aesthetic code and is backed up by 1120
    lines of tests putting it at a 0:8 ratio.

    --
    Tobi
    http://www.snowdevil.ca - Snowboards that don't suck
    Tobias Luetke, Apr 24, 2005

  2. Tobias Luetke wrote:

    > Highlights:
    >
    > * HTML admin - Thats right, I gave up. Typo now has a real html admin
    > and you can access most of its features from it. Some minor features
    > are still desktop client only but you can definitely get your blogging
    > fix on vacation now.

    This is very cool, although I did see one problem.

    The HTML preview in the comments posting section wasn't working for me.
    Removing the .to_html from Admin::ContentController#preview made it work.

    Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that I'm not using
    markdown or textile? Actually, I imagine that wouldn't be the cause,
    since HtmlEngine seems to be returning HTML format data already in
    text_filter, so calling .to_html again seems like at best it won't do
    anything, at worst it'll die because there is no .to_html...

    Of course, I know like nothing about BlueCloth and RedCloth, so I could
    be totally off base here.

    Thanks for your excellent work on Typo, it's getting to the point where
    it's quite tempting to start using it.

    -garrett
    Garrett Rooney, Apr 24, 2005