[ANN] unicorn 0.93.2 - more compatible with Rails

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Eric Wong, Oct 7, 2009.

  1. Eric Wong

    Eric Wong Guest

    Unicorn is a HTTP server for Rack applications designed to take
    advantage of features in Unix/Unix-like kernels and only serve fast
    clients on low-latency, high-bandwidth connections. Slow clients should
    only be served by placing a reverse proxy capable of fully-buffering
    both the the request and response in between Unicorn and slow clients.

    * http://unicorn.bogomips.org/
    *
    * git://git.bogomips.org/unicorn.git

    Thanks to Chris Wanstrath for reporting issues with large
    POST bodies and for helping me test.

    Changes:

    Avoid truncated POST bodies with URL-encoded forms in Rails
    by switching TeeInput to use read-in-full semantics (only) when
    a Content-Length: header exists. Chunked request bodies
    continue to exhibit readpartial semantics to support
    simultaneous bidirectional chunking.

    The lack of return value checking in Rails to protect against a
    short ios.read(length) is entirely reasonable even if not
    pedantically correct. Most ios.read(length) implementations
    return the full amount requested except right before EOF.

    A ticket has been opened here to track the issue:
    https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/3343

    Also there are some minor documentation improvements.

    Eric Wong (8):
    Fix NEWS generation on single-paragraph tag messages
    Include GPLv2 in docs
    doc: make it clear contributors retain copyrights
    TODO: removed Rainbows! (see rainbows.rubyforge.org)
    Document the START_CTX hash contents
    more-compatible TeeInput#read for POSTs with Content-Length
    tests for read-in-full vs readpartial semantics
    unicorn 0.93.2
    --
    Eric Wong
    Eric Wong, Oct 7, 2009

  2. Re: unicorn 0.93.2 - more compatible with Rails

    On Oct 7, 3:00=A0am, Eric Wong <> wrote:
    > Unicorn is a HTTP server for Rack applications designed to take
    > advantage of features in Unix/Unix-like kernels and only serve fast
    > clients on low-latency, high-bandwidth connections. =A0Slow clients shoul=

    > only be served by placing a reverse proxy capable of fully-buffering
    > both the the request and response in between Unicorn and slow clients.
    >
    > *http://unicorn.bogomips.org/
    > *
    > * git://git.bogomips.org/unicorn.git
    >
    > Thanks to Chris Wanstrath for reporting issues with large
    > POST bodies and for helping me test.
    >
    > Changes:
    >
    > Avoid truncated POST bodies with URL-encoded forms in Rails
    > by switching TeeInput to use read-in-full semantics (only) when
    > a Content-Length: header exists. =A0Chunked request bodies
    > continue to exhibit readpartial semantics to support
    > simultaneous bidirectional chunking.
    >
    > The lack of return value checking in Rails to protect against a
    > short ios.read(length) is entirely reasonable even if not
    > pedantically correct. =A0Most ios.read(length) implementations
    > return the full amount requested except right before EOF.
    >
    > A ticket has been opened here to track the issue:
    > =A0https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/3343
    >
    > Also there are some minor documentation improvements.
    >
    > Eric Wong (8):
    > =A0 =A0 =A0 Fix NEWS generation on single-paragraph tag messages
    > =A0 =A0 =A0 Include GPLv2 in docs
    > =A0 =A0 =A0 doc: make it clear contributors retain copyrights
    > =A0 =A0 =A0 TODO: removed Rainbows! (see rainbows.rubyforge.org)
    > =A0 =A0 =A0 Document the START_CTX hash contents
    > =A0 =A0 =A0 more-compatible TeeInput#read for POSTs with Content-Length
    > =A0 =A0 =A0 tests for read-in-full vs readpartial semantics
    > =A0 =A0 =A0 unicorn 0.93.2
    > --
    > Eric Wong

    There was a pretty good blog entry on Unicorn recently:

    http://tomayko.com/writings/unicorn-is-unix

    Regards,

    Dan
    Daniel Berger, Oct 7, 2009

  3. Eric Wong

    Eric Wong Guest

    Daniel Berger <> wrote:
    > On Oct 7, 3:00 am, Eric Wong <> wrote:
    > > Unicorn is a HTTP server for Rack applications designed to take
    > > advantage of features in Unix/Unix-like kernels and only serve fast
    > > clients on low-latency, high-bandwidth connections.  Slow clients should
    > > only be served by placing a reverse proxy capable of fully-buffering
    > > both the the request and response in between Unicorn and slow clients.
    > >

    > There was a pretty good blog entry on Unicorn recently:
    >
    > http://tomayko.com/writings/unicorn-is-unix

    Yup, it is excellent :)

    One minor correction about SELF_PIPE usage here:

    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.ruby.unicorn.general/59

    Overall I'm extremely happy with the article and interest this has
    generated in good ol' Unix-isms :)

    --
    Eric Wong
    Eric Wong, Oct 7, 2009
  4. Re: unicorn 0.93.2 - more compatible with Rails

    Daniel Berger, Oct 8, 2009