ANN: Veusz 0.6 - a scientific plotting package

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jeremy Sanders, May 19, 2005.

  1. Veusz 0.6
    ---------
    Velvet Ember Under Sky Zenith
    -----------------------------
    http://home.gna.org/veusz/

    Veusz is Copyright (C) 2003-2005 Jeremy Sanders <>
    Licenced under the GPL (version 2 or greater)

    Veusz is a scientific plotting package written in Python (currently
    100% Python). It uses PyQt for display and user-interfaces, and
    numarray for handling the numeric data. Veusz is designed to produce
    publication-ready Postscript output.

    Veusz provides a GUI, command line and scripting interface (based on
    Python) to its plotting facilities. The plots are built using an
    object-based system to provide a consistent interface.

    Changes from 0.5:
    Please refer to ChangeLog for all the changes.
    Highlights include:
    * Major UI enhancements - much faster to control now, more dialogs
    * Veusz can be embedded within other non-PyQt Python programs. Its plots
    can be updated at any time from the embedding program using the
    command line interface.
    * Dialogs for manipulating datasets using expressions, and direct editing
    * Multiple documents can be opened simultaneously
    * Lots of bug fixes (e.g. log axes improvement, rotation of labels)
    * Unicode support in plots

    Features of package:
    * X-Y plots (with errorbars)
    * Stepped plots (for histograms)
    * Line plots
    * Function plots
    * Fitting functions to data
    * Stacked plots and arrays of plots
    * Plot keys
    * Plot labels
    * LaTeX-like formatting for text
    * EPS output
    * Simple data importing
    * Scripting interface
    * Save/Load plots
    * Dataset manipulation
    * Embed Veusz within other programs

    To be done:
    * Contour plots
    * Images
    * UI improvements
    * Import filters (for qdp and other plotting packages, fits, csv)

    Requirements:
    Python (probably 2.3 or greater required)
    http://www.python.org/
    Qt (free edition)
    http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/
    PyQt (SIP is required to be installed first)
    http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/
    http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/sip/
    numarray
    http://www.stsci.edu/resources/software_hardware/numarray
    Microsoft Core Fonts (recommended)
    http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/

    For documentation on using Veusz, see the "Documents" directory. The
    manual is in pdf, html and text format (generated from docbook).

    If you enjoy using Veusz, I would love to hear from you. Please join
    the mailing lists at

    https://gna.org/mail/?group=veusz

    to discuss new features or if you'd like to contribute code. The
    newest code can always be found in CVS.

    If non GPL projects are interested in using Veusz code, please contact
    me. I am happy to consider relicencing code for other free projects,
    if I am legally allowed to do so.

    Cheers

    Jeremy
    Jeremy Sanders, May 19, 2005

  2. Jeremy Sanders

    Guest

    Hi Jeremy,
    I am interested in collaborating to your project, but first of all I
    must install Veusz and see what is the feeling I get. I'm almost a
    newbie in Python but I'm an old programmer and have quite a lot of
    experience in designing scientific software. For example I know very
    well contour plots also if the alghorithm I used can now be a little
    out-dated (some year ago it was a flash in C...).
    Another reason to be tempted in this adventure is the fact that your
    choice is exactly mine: Python and Qt (and besides that I can learn to
    use OO ... at last!)
    Bye.
    , May 21, 2005