ANN: Veusz 0.8 released

Jeremy Sanders

Veusz 0.8
---------
Velvet Ember Under Sky Zenith
-----------------------------
http://home.gna.org/veusz/

Veusz is Copyright (C) 2003-2005 Jeremy Sanders <[email protected]>
Licenced under the GPL (version 2 or greater)

Veusz is a scientific plotting package written in Python (currently
100% Python). It uses PyQt for display and user-interfaces, and
numarray for handling the numeric data. Veusz is designed to produce
publication-ready Postscript output.

Veusz provides a GUI, command line and scripting interface (based on
Python) to its plotting facilities. The plots are built using an
object-based system to provide a consistent interface.

Changes from 0.7:
Please refer to ChangeLog for all the changes.
Highlights include:
* Datasets can be linked together with expressions
* SVG export
* Edit/Copy/Cut support of widgets
* Pan image with mouse
* Click on graph to change settings
* Lots of UI improvements

Features of package:
* X-Y plots (with errorbars)
* Images (with colour mappings)
* Stepped plots (for histograms)
* Line plots
* Function plots
* Fitting functions to data
* Stacked plots and arrays of plots
* Plot keys
* Plot labels
* LaTeX-like formatting for text
* EPS output
* Simple data importing
* Scripting interface
* Save/Load plots
* Dataset manipulation
* Embed Veusz within other programs

To be done:
* Contour plots
* UI improvements
* Import filters (for qdp and other plotting packages, fits, csv)

Requirements:
Python (probably 2.3 or greater required)
http://www.python.org/
Qt (free edition)
http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/
PyQt (SIP is required to be installed first)
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/sip/
numarray
http://www.stsci.edu/resources/software_hardware/numarray
Microsoft Core Fonts (recommended)
http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/
PyFITS (optional)
http://www.stsci.edu/resources/software_hardware/pyfits

For documentation on using Veusz, see the "Documents" directory. The
manual is in pdf, html and text format (generated from docbook).

If you enjoy using Veusz, I would love to hear from you. Please join
the mailing lists at

https://gna.org/mail/?group=veusz

to discuss new features or if you'd like to contribute code. The
newest code can always be found in CVS.