[ANN] Vim/Ruby Configuration Files, 2004.09.20

Gavin Sinclair

Hi all,

Many Vim users will be aware of this RubyForge project:

http://vim-ruby.rubyforge.org/

It contains several configuration files that make Vim work better with
Ruby. The files in this release represent a significant improvement
over the ones in the Vim 6.3 release.

It's now easier than before to keep up to date with this project, so
long as you have RubyGems 0.8+ installed:

$ gem install -r vim-ruby
$ (sudo) vim-ruby-install.rb (--help)

A TGZ is also available. Installation instructions at the above link.

This installation mechanism is brand new. Please tread carefully,
especially with root access, and report any problems.
Ultra-conservative people should install the configuration files
manually :)

Cheers,
Gavin

Eric Hodel

Gavin Sinclair

On Sep 19, 2004, at 9:29 AM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
Last night I was wondering aloud on IRC why vim always unindented
comments when I typed them on a blank line. I thought I'd fixed the
problem at work, but couldn't remember how. Another guy had the same
problem. After poking around a bit, I discovered that the problem was
that I had smartindent turned on in my .vimrc. You really want
nosmartindent when editing ruby files in vim.

I guess that's something I can add to ftplugin/ruby.vim then:

set <buffer> nosmartindent

(Or whatever the correct syntax is.)

Gavin

P.S. I've been wondering that too!

Nikolai Weibull

* Gavin Sinclair said:
I guess that's something I can add to ftplugin/ruby.vim then:

Actually, I was looking at the wrong indent/ruby.vim. Please add
setlocal nosmartindent in indent/ruby.vim so that it is turned off
correctly. Sorry for shouting,
nikolai

Nikolai Weibull

* Gavin Sinclair said:
I guess that's something I can add to ftplugin/ruby.vim then:

set <buffer> nosmartindent

Eh eh eh, that's already set by indent/ruby.vim...

18:setlocal nosmartindent

So please don't put stuff pertaining to indentation in ftplugin.
There has to be something else going on. Either you're resetting it to
smartindent (why, oh why would you) or you're not loading the indent
files (filetype indent on) or something completely different.

In the old days doing =<motion> over a comment wouldn't reindent the
comment, as this would break indentation for other lines. This
non-feature has since been abolished.
nikolai