[ANN] Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby, Chapter Four: Little Leavesof Code

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by why the lucky stiff, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Just wanted everyone to know that Chapter Four of the (Poignant) Guide
    is now available. Read the new chapter here:
    http://poignantguide.net/ruby/chapter-4.html

    Is it okay with everyone if I make chapter announcements on ruby-talk?
    I guess I figure it's as pertinent as a new software release, but I
    don't want to make an assumption. Please say.

    There are a few mailing lists now which cater to those who want to
    participate in this project.

    stiffs list: open discussion concerning the flow of the book, the
    technique (or lack of), the scripts behind it
    http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/poignant-stiffs

    watchers list: this list is read-only. low frequency updates.

    translators list: open discussion, come help offer the guide in your
    native tongue.

    I don't expect the translation effort to take off or anything. I have
    had a handful of people ask, so I figured I'd open a list and see what
    happens.

    I am considering offering art to those who play a major part in
    faithfully translating the book to another language. I have quite a bit
    of original artwork related to the book which I would like to give those
    who stick with it and finish a translation. Paintings of the foxes and
    Blix the Cat. Line art used in the book. I've made a few t-shirts as
    well. I've also been working on some cartoon paintings of Matz that are
    quite fun.

    Okay. Back to filling excavated mushroom clouds with squirrel napkins.

    _why
    why the lucky stiff, Mar 1, 2004

  2. why the lucky stiff

    Tom Copeland Guest

    Re: [ANN] Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby, Chapter Four: LittleLeaves of Code

    On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 16:26, why the lucky stiff wrote:
    > Just wanted everyone to know that Chapter Four of the (Poignant) Guide
    > is now available. Read the new chapter here:
    > http://poignantguide.net/ruby/chapter-4.html
    >
    > Is it okay with everyone if I make chapter announcements on ruby-talk?

    FWIW, I'm interested in hearing about them here...

    Tom
    Tom Copeland, Mar 1, 2004

  3. Re: [ANN] Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby, Chapter Four: Little Leavesof Code

    Tom Copeland wrote:

    >On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 16:26, why the lucky stiff wrote:
    >

    >>Just wanted everyone to know that Chapter Four of the (Poignant) Guide
    >>is now available. Read the new chapter here:
    >>http://poignantguide.net/ruby/chapter-4.html
    >>
    >>Is it okay with everyone if I make chapter announcements on ruby-talk?
    >>

    >FWIW, I'm interested in hearing about them here...
    >
    >Tom

    nice reading ...
    interested+=1
    Bermejo, Rodrigo, Mar 1, 2004
  4. why the lucky stiff

    Harry Ohlsen Guest

    why the lucky stiff wrote:

    > Just wanted everyone to know that Chapter Four of the (Poignant) Guide
    > is now available. Read the new chapter here:
    > http://poignantguide.net/ruby/chapter-4.html

    I absolutely love your work, but please, please, please can you change the layout so that it prints without chopping off the right hand side?

    Alternatively, if someone with more HTML knowledge can tell me what it is about this HTML that causes it to do that, I'll stop pleading and just try to write myself a script to fix it :).

    Previously, I tried changing the widths of some of the tables. That worked for chapter two, but not for chapter three, so there's presumably something else I need to fiddle with.

    Cheers,

    Harry O.
    Harry Ohlsen, Mar 1, 2004
  5. Harry Ohlsen wrote:

    > I absolutely love your work, but please, please, please can you change
    > the layout so that it prints without chopping off the right hand side?

    yeah, sorry. the comics are 800 pixels wide and are keeping the pages
    from shrinking. how much of the page is getting cut?

    presumably you are printing with internet explorer? in firefox, the
    pages print swell. and zooms out to 70% in some cases.

    _why
    why the lucky stiff, Mar 2, 2004
  6. why the lucky stiff

    Harry Ohlsen Guest

    why the lucky stiff wrote:

    > yeah, sorry. the comics are 800 pixels wide and are keeping the pages
    > from shrinking. how much of the page is getting cut?

    The main title of chapter 4 gets cut just after "Floating Leaves of Co". The sentence on the second? page that ends in " ... Ambrose Caverns is with the elf. He is" gets cut off just after "Amrbose Cave".

    > presumably you are printing with internet explorer? in firefox, the
    > pages print swell. and zooms out to 70% in some cases.

    Yes, I'm using Avant, which uses IE's rendering engine.

    However, given your point about Firefox, I just tried it in Mozilla and (at least the print preview) seems to do a much better job. It's cutting off just a couple of letters, which I can guess from the context.

    Now that I know it's browser-specific, I'll just print from Mozilla for the time being. Thanks for the pointer ... and thanks for the great work!

    Harry O.
    Harry Ohlsen, Mar 2, 2004
  7. Harry Ohlsen wrote:

    > However, given your point about Firefox, I just tried it in Mozilla
    > and (at least the print preview) seems to do a much better job. It's
    > cutting off just a couple of letters, which I can guess from the context.

    Better, better. Also go to 'Page Setup...' and set all the margins to
    zero. Turn off all headers and footers even, if you want it to print to
    every edge.

    _why
    why the lucky stiff, Mar 2, 2004
  8. why the lucky stiff

    Andre Nathan Guest

    why the lucky stiff said:
    > Just wanted everyone to know that Chapter Four of the (Poignant) Guide
    > is now available. Read the new chapter here:
    > http://poignantguide.net/ruby/chapter-4.html

    "You want to climb aboard a jet bound to Brazil with it. And after five
    days and four nights at the leisureful Costa do Sauipe Marriott Resort &
    Spa, to marry it, to bear a family of 55,000 starmonkeys with it."

    Did come for Brasil Open or something? :)

    > Is it okay with everyone if I make chapter announcements on ruby-talk?

    Please do...

    Andre
    Andre Nathan, Mar 2, 2004
  9. why the lucky stiff

    Harry Ohlsen Guest

    why the lucky stiff wrote:

    > Better, better. Also go to 'Page Setup...' and set all the margins to
    > zero. Turn off all headers and footers even, if you want it to print to
    > every edge.

    Excellent! It now fits just fine. Thanks for the suggestions.

    Harry O.
    Harry Ohlsen, Mar 2, 2004
  10. why the lucky stiff

    dhtapp Guest

    "why the lucky stiff" <> wrote in message

    > Is it okay with everyone if I make chapter announcements on ruby-talk?

    I can't speak for the more experienced folks (which is to say, everybody
    else on the list), but I'd prefer that you delivered such announcements to
    me in person.

    And as soon as I become governer of my very first (smallish) state, you're
    in charge of all the public school textbooks.

    - dan
    dhtapp, Mar 2, 2004
  11. Re: [ANN] Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby, Chapter Four: Little Leaves of Code

    On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:35:44 -0700, dhtapp <> wrote:

    > "why the lucky stiff" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Is it okay with everyone if I make chapter announcements on ruby-talk?

    > I can't speak for the more experienced folks (which is to say, everybody
    > else on the list), but I'd prefer that you delivered such announcements to
    > me in person.
    >
    > And as soon as I become governer of my very first (smallish) state, you're
    > in charge of all the public school textbooks.
    >
    > - dan

    Heh, Why_ promises a smallish book unless we are to to distinguishing here
    between light/small and light/easy reading, which I hope we are:

    On the book's home page Why_ writes:
    "This is just a small Ruby book. It won't crush you. It's light as a
    feather (because I haven't finished it yet'hehe). And there's a reason
    this book will stay light: because Ruby is simple to learn."

    I don't think I want him to stop writing, he should do a Dilbert or
    something and just go on and on... on everything Ruby, and any related
    tool that catches his fancy, (eventually converting and incorporating his
    previous writings on more specific subjects (what's new in ruby 1.8oh) or
    tools he uses or recommends with Ruby, like sqlite, or yaml into this style
    as later chapters of his book).

    Don't rush to finish (writing) it, and do write much, if you have the time
    it does not need to end.

    And as I don't write here that often, I'd like also to thank Andy and
    Dave here for writing the Pickaxe. When your book came out, I needed it,
    and could hardly wait for it, (and yes I still have a battered old
    hardcopy). To have it online as well, has been wonderful, not least when
    attempting to promote Ruby. Ok there are many others to thank lots in the
    Ruby community, and many of these too obvious to mention:

    Thank you all (don't stop),
    and Why_ please keep writing.

    ralph
    Ralph Amissah, Mar 3, 2004
  12. why the lucky stiff

    Jamis Buck Guest

    Ralph Amissah wrote:

    >On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:35:44 -0700, dhtapp <> wrote:
    >

    >I don't think I want him to stop writing, he should do a Dilbert or
    >something and just go on and on... on everything Ruby, and any related
    >tool that catches his fancy, (eventually converting and incorporating his
    >previous writings on more specific subjects (what's new in ruby 1.8oh) or
    >tools he uses or recommends with Ruby, like sqlite, or yaml into this style
    >as later chapters of his book).

    Have you seen his blog? If not, it's a must-see:

    http://whytheluckystiff.net

    It's often just as entertaining as the Poignant Guide, though perhaps
    not as "directed"... ;)

    --
    Jamis Buck

    http://www.jamisbuck.org/jamis

    ruby -h | ruby -e 'a=[];readlines.join.scan(/-(.)\[e|Kk(\S*)|le.l(..)e|#!(\S*)/) {|r| a << r.compact.first };puts "\n>#{a.join(%q/ /)}<\n\n"'
    Jamis Buck, Mar 3, 2004
  13. Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT, Mar 4, 2004