[ANN] Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby, Chapters 1 to 3

why the lucky stiff

Sean said:
Congratulations _why, you just made the Slashdot front page!
Wonderful. Can't wait for the ensuing Python v. Ruby flamewar to start
up in the comments.

_why

Tim Hunter

Greetings. Man, I'm giddy about this announcement. My blood is visibly
pulsing.

Before I read this book I could never remember the difference between ".."
and "...". Now I'll never forget.

Bravo! Inside my head it sounds like a standing ovation.

Sean Russell

why the lucky stiff said:
I have not an whim of idea as to how we could get this book translated.
Especially considering that I am constantly revising and rephrasing. In

Use a version control system, one that does a good job of annotating
the differences between versions. Give your document versions real
versions. Your translators will be able to check out your document
and see the changes, and make their changes in the appropriate places.
Their documents will also have versions, so anybody ready any given
translation will know which version of the "master" document the
translation was made from.

It'd be even better if your master document wasn't written in HTML,
but was XML docbook, or something like that; then the translators
could run their translations through your style sheet and get the same
look, and you'd reduce the amount of grunt-work, non-content change
management that you'd have with HTML and embedded layout.

--- SER