[ANN] win32-service 0.3.0

Daniel Berger

All,

I am very happy to announce the release of win32-service 0.3.0. Thanks to
the help of my fellow cohorts in crime, Park Heesob and Shashank Date, this
module now provides code that allows you to run Ruby programs as a Win32
Service!

What is it?
An interface for controlling and/or monitoring Win32 services. In addition,
you can now run Ruby code as a service using the Daemon subclass.

Where is it?
You can find it on the RAA or at http://rubyforge.org/projects/win32utils/

Sample Daemon code:
# (After installing the service)
# Write to a file every 10 seconds
class Daemon
def worker
while state == RUNNING
sleep 10
f = File.open("c:\\test.log","a+")
f.puts("service is running")
f.close
end
end
end

d = Daemon.new
d.mainloop

You can find out more information by reading the included documentation.
There is also a sample daemon script for you to play with.

Note that this should be considered an ALPHA release (the Daemon portion,
that is). We have great plans for this class, including hooks for signals,
and whatever else we can dream up.

Time for a shameless plug - if you're interested in following the
development of this module and the other win32 utils packages, you can
subscribe to the mailing list at
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/win32utils-devel. It's a moderated
list, so no spam. :)

Enjoy!

Dan, Park and Shashank

Gavin Sinclair

I am very happy to announce the release of win32-service 0.3.0. Thanks to
the help of my fellow cohorts in crime, Park Heesob and Shashank Date, this
module now provides code that allows you to run Ruby programs as a Win32
Service!

Dan, Park and Shashank

Thanks guys. This series of projects makes me more confident about
one days writing some real Win32 Ruby code :)

Cheers,
Gavin

Phil Tomson

[...]

Cool.

Just an idea: What about some kind of cross-platform Sevices/Deamon
package so that code written with it can be run on either Windows or *nix
unchanged?That way the same interface could be used to write code like this
on any platform. When the module is required it could figure out the correct
implementation for the class' methods based on PLATFORM (on *nix fork
could be used, for example).

Phil