[ANN] Wirble 0.1.1: Irb Enhancements for the Masses

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Paul Duncan, Sep 8, 2006.

  1. Paul Duncan

    Paul Duncan Guest

    --7l042bGvurpep9Wg

    Hi All,

    I just released version 0.1.1 of Wirble. Wirble is a small collection
    of enhancements Irb, packaged in an easy-to-use format. Wirble includes
    tab-completion, persistent history, built-in ri support, and syntax
    highlighting for Irb results. Here's a screenshot of Wirble in action:

    http://pablotron.org/software/wirble/shots/wirble-0.png

    All of Wirble's features are configurable, including the color settings.
    Each is documented in glorious technicolor in the README, which is
    linked below.

    URLs
    =3D=3D=3D=3D
    * Wirble 0.1.1 Tarball
    o Download: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.1.tar.gz
    o Signature: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.1.tar.gz.asc
    * Wirble 0.1.1 Gem
    o Download: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.1.gem
    o Signature: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.1.gem.asc
    * Documentation
    o Secret Decoder Ring: http://pablotron.org/software/wirble/README
    o ChangeLog: http://pablotron.org/software/wirble/ChangeLog-0.1.1

    If you've seen most of Wirble before, that's because, well, you've seen
    most of Wirble before. Several of the features were collected from the
    "Irb Tips and Tricks" page of the Ruby Garden Wiki. My Irb config file
    was out of control, so I decided to clean things up and share the
    results. =20

    Questions, comments, candy, weapons of mass destruction, etc, are always
    appreciated, and can be sent to the email address below.

    --=20
    Paul Duncan <> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
    http://www.pablotron.org/ OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

    --7l042bGvurpep9Wg

    --7l042bGvurpep9Wg--

    Paul Duncan, Sep 8, 2006

  2. Paul Duncan

    Guest

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I just released version 0.1.1 of Wirble. Wirble is a small collection
    > of enhancements Irb, packaged in an easy-to-use format. Wirble includes
    > tab-completion, persistent history, built-in ri support, and syntax
    > highlighting for Irb results. Here's a screenshot of Wirble in action:

    That looks great! :) A feature request: Could you syntax highlight the
    input lines as well as the output lines?

    Cheers,
    Benj

    , Sep 8, 2006

  3. Re: Wirble 0.1.1: Irb Enhancements for the Masses

    unknown wrote:
    > That looks great! :) A feature request: Could you syntax highlight the
    > input lines as well as the output lines?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Benj

    Like, in real time, like an IDE? That'd be awesome.

    William Crawford, Sep 8, 2006
  4. William Crawford, Sep 8, 2006
  5. Paul Duncan

    John Wilger Guest

    On 9/8/06, Paul Duncan <> wrote:
    > URLs
    > ====

    > * Wirble 0.1.1 Gem
    > o Download: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.1.gem
    > o Signature: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.1.gem.asc

    FYI, the gem file doesn't seem to exist. I tried both the URL abave
    and RubyForge (which is specified n the README in the tarball).

    --
    Regards,
    John Wilger

    -----------
    Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked.
    "Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
    "I don't know," Alice answered.
    "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
    - Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland

    John Wilger, Sep 8, 2006
  6. Paul Duncan

    F. Senault Guest

    Le 08 septembre à 15:32, John Wilger a écrit :

    > On 9/8/06, Paul Duncan <> wrote:
    >> URLs
    >> ====

    >> * Wirble 0.1.1 Gem
    >> o Download: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.1.gem
    >> o Signature: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.1.gem.asc

    > FYI, the gem file doesn't seem to exist. I tried both the URL abave
    > and RubyForge (which is specified n the README in the tarball).

    I found it there :

    http://pablotron.org/files/gems/wirble-0.1.1.gem

    Nice little tool, BTW... ;)

    Fred
    --
    In the beginning there was nothing, and God said, "Let there be light."
    And there was still nothing, but you could see it.

    F. Senault, Sep 8, 2006
  7. Nicolas Olivier, Sep 8, 2006
  8. Paul Duncan

    Paul Duncan Guest

    --iwjEIfU64POCkTAH

    * John Wilger () wrote:
    > On 9/8/06, Paul Duncan <> wrote:
    > >URLs
    > >=3D=3D=3D=3D

    >=20
    > >* Wirble 0.1.1 Gem
    > > o Download: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.1.gem
    > > o Signature: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.1.gem.asc

    >=20
    > FYI, the gem file doesn't seem to exist. I tried both the URL abave
    > and RubyForge (which is specified n the README in the tarball).

    That's what I get for doing a release at 4am :).

    All my gems are located at http://pablotron.org/files/gems/. So the
    correct URLs for the Wirble gem are:

    http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.1.gem
    http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.1.gem.asc

    Thanks for the heads up!

    > --=20
    > Regards,
    > John Wilger
    > http://johnwilger.com
    >=20
    > -----------
    > Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked.
    > "Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
    > "I don't know," Alice answered.
    > "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
    > - Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland

    --=20
    Paul Duncan <> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
    http://www.pablotron.org/ OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

    --iwjEIfU64POCkTAH

    --iwjEIfU64POCkTAH--

    Paul Duncan, Sep 8, 2006
  9. Paul Duncan

    Paul Duncan Guest

    Re: Re : [ANN] Wirble 0.1.1: Irb Enhancements for the Masses

    --qjSZefE6w0iW6XmQ

    * Surendra Singhi () wrote:
    > Hi Paul,
    > When I tried it on Windows XP, I get this wierd error:
    > I don't have rubilicious=20

    Now that is bug is both hilarious and stupid.

    I must have used the rubilcious gemspec as a template for the Wirble
    gempsec :).

    I'll get that fixed and release a new version, stat.

    > irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
    > =3D> false
    > irb(main):002:0> require 'wirble'
    > LoadError: no such file to load -- rubilicious
    > from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21=

    :in `re
    > quire__'
    > from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21=

    :in `re
    > quire'
    > from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:182:in `activate'
    > from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:181:in `activate'
    > from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:26=

    :in `re
    > quire'
    > from (irb):2
    > irb(main):003:0>
    >=20
    > --=20
    > Surendra Singhi
    > http://ssinghi.kreeti.com, http://www.kreeti.com
    > Read my blog at: http://cuttingtheredtape.blogspot.com/
    > ,----
    > | Great wits are sure to madness near allied,
    > | And thin partitions do their bounds divide.
    > |=20
    > | (John Dryden, Absalom and Achitophel, 1681)
    > `----
    >=20

    --=20
    Paul Duncan <> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
    http://www.pablotron.org/ OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

    --qjSZefE6w0iW6XmQ

    --qjSZefE6w0iW6XmQ--

    Paul Duncan, Sep 8, 2006
  10. Re: Wirble 0.1.1: Irb Enhancements for the Masses

    Paul Duncan wrote:
    > * John Wilger () wrote:
    >> On 9/8/06, Paul Duncan <> wrote:
    >> >URLs
    >> >====

    >> >* Wirble 0.1.1 Gem
    >> > o Download: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.1.gem
    >> > o Signature: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.1.gem.asc

    >> FYI, the gem file doesn't seem to exist. I tried both the URL abave
    >> and RubyForge (which is specified n the README in the tarball).

    > That's what I get for doing a release at 4am :).
    >
    > All my gems are located at http://pablotron.org/files/gems/. So the
    > correct URLs for the Wirble gem are:
    >
    > http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.1.gem
    > http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.1.gem.asc
    >
    > Thanks for the heads up!

    Hmm... Maybe it's not just the 4am thing ;) Maybe you have a mental
    block dealing with gems and urls?

    <cough>
    > http://pablotron.org/files/gems/wirble-0.1.1.gem
    > http://pablotron.org/files/gems/wirble-0.1.1.gem.asc

    </cough>

    ;)

    William Crawford, Sep 8, 2006
  11. --HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

    On Sat, Sep 09, 2006, Paul Duncan wrote:
    > All my gems are located at http://pablotron.org/files/gems/. So the
    > correct URLs for the Wirble gem are:
    >=20
    > http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.1.gem
    > http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.1.gem.asc

    I think you mean...

    http://pablotron.org/files/gems/wirble-0.1.1.gem
    http://pablotron.org/files/gems/wirble-0.1.1.gem.asc

    :)

    Ben

    --HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

    --HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV--

    Ben Bleything, Sep 8, 2006
  12. Paul Duncan

    Paul Duncan Guest

    --pvq4FPIYehQuVelz

    * () wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I just released version 0.1.1 of Wirble. Wirble is a small collection
    > > of enhancements Irb, packaged in an easy-to-use format. Wirble includes
    > > tab-completion, persistent history, built-in ri support, and syntax
    > > highlighting for Irb results. Here's a screenshot of Wirble in action:

    >=20
    > That looks great! :) A feature request: Could you syntax highlight the
    > input lines as well as the output lines?

    I looked into highlighting the input in Irb, too. It's a lot more work,
    but it might be doable. At a minimum, I'd need to write, borrow, or
    steal a full-blown Ruby lexer. I'd probably need a more terminal-
    friendly replacement for readlines (probably curses).

    Now that I know more people are interested, I'll have to investigate :).

    > Cheers,
    > Benj

    --=20
    Paul Duncan <> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
    http://www.pablotron.org/ OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

    --pvq4FPIYehQuVelz

    --pvq4FPIYehQuVelz--

    Paul Duncan, Sep 8, 2006
  13. Paul Duncan

    Paul Duncan Guest

    Re: Wirble 0.1.1: Irb Enhancements for the Masses

    --CGcXfQ1PUDCmwDYp

    * William Crawford () wrote:
    > Hmm... Maybe it's not just the 4am thing ;) Maybe you have a mental=20
    > block dealing with gems and urls?

    I pretty much just have a mental block. I don't think it's constrained
    to gems or urls, either.

    > <cough>
    > > http://pablotron.org/files/gems/wirble-0.1.1.gem
    > > http://pablotron.org/files/gems/wirble-0.1.1.gem.asc

    > </cough>

    Here we go:

    http://pablotron.org/files/gems/wirble-0.1.1.gem
    http://pablotron.org/files/gems/wirble-0.1.1.gem.asc

    The only way I got those out was to copy and paste yours :D.

    Thanks!

    > ;)

    --=20
    Paul Duncan <> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
    http://www.pablotron.org/ OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

    --CGcXfQ1PUDCmwDYp

    --CGcXfQ1PUDCmwDYp--

    Paul Duncan, Sep 8, 2006
  14. Paul Duncan

    Paul Duncan Guest

    --K5roPakIqCb4O6y8

    * F. Senault () wrote:
    > Le 08 septembre =E0 15:32, John Wilger a =E9crit :
    >=20
    > > On 9/8/06, Paul Duncan <> wrote:

    [snipped]
    > > FYI, the gem file doesn't seem to exist. I tried both the URL abave
    > > and RubyForge (which is specified n the README in the tarball).

    >=20
    > I found it there :
    >=20
    > http://pablotron.org/files/gems/wirble-0.1.1.gem
    >=20
    > Nice little tool, BTW... ;)

    Thanks, I'm glad you like it! :)

    > Fred

    --=20
    Paul Duncan <> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
    http://www.pablotron.org/ OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

    --K5roPakIqCb4O6y8

    --K5roPakIqCb4O6y8--

    Paul Duncan, Sep 8, 2006
  15. Paul Duncan

    Paul Duncan Guest

    Re: Re : Wirble 0.1.1: Irb Enhancements for the Masses

    --jZNlLGxhPb4urluq

    * William Crawford () wrote:
    > Eric Torreborre wrote:
    > > -the coloring alters the output line

    > > "hee"
    > > =3D> ???[0;32mnil???[0;0m

    >=20
    > Those are ANSI codes. You'll need to use a console that deals with=20
    > them, or load ANSI.SYS.
    >=20
    > http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/Windows2000/UserTips/M=

    iscellaneous/CommandInterpreterAnsiSupport.html

    I'll add this to the documentation for future releases. Thanks!

    --=20
    Paul Duncan <> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
    http://www.pablotron.org/ OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

    --jZNlLGxhPb4urluq

    --jZNlLGxhPb4urluq--

    Paul Duncan, Sep 8, 2006
  16. Paul Duncan

    Paul Duncan Guest

    Re: Re : [ANN] Wirble 0.1.1: Irb Enhancements for the Masses

    --yIMHf/Pa6CzSkARF

    * Eric Torreborre () wrote:
    > Hi Paul,
    >=20
    > I take it that the windows masses are not concerned,...

    Any problems on Windows are a direct result of sloth and incompetence on
    my part, rather than intentional malice. I haven't done much console
    development on Windows, and I don't have easy access to a Windows
    machine for testing.

    > I have tried wirble on my windows laptop:
    >=20
    > -the gem install doesn't work

    The URL in the original email was wrong and the gem had an accidental
    dependency on Rubilicious. I've fixed the latter and regenerated the
    former. Here's the URL:

    http://pablotron.org/files/gems/wirble-0.1.2.gem
    http://pablotron.org/files/gems/wirble-0.1.2.gem.asc

    (Note: This version doesn't address the two issues you have below)

    > -the Object.ri sample brings an exec error
    >=20
    > >> Object.ri 'object_h'

    > Errno::ENOEXEC: Exec format error - ri 'object_h'
    > from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/wirble.rb:465:in ``'
    > from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/wirble.rb:465:in `ri'
    > from (irb):1

    Hi, it should be one of the following forms:

    ri 'Object#object_id'
    ri Object.ri 'object_id'

    It should definitely have a more graceful error message. I'll add that
    to my list of stuff to fix.

    > -the coloring alters the output line
    > >> p "hee"

    > "hee"
    > =3D> ???[0;32mnil???[0;0m
    >=20
    > -The persistent history works! Yes!

    One out of three ain't bad! :)

    > I am not used to the internals of the windows console. Do you think it
    > is possible to have wirble working on both Unix and Windows
    > plateforms?

    I'm not familiar with the Windows console either. I'll follow up on
    some of the other URLs in this thread and see what I can find out.

    --=20
    Paul Duncan <> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
    http://www.pablotron.org/ OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

    --yIMHf/Pa6CzSkARF

    --yIMHf/Pa6CzSkARF--

    Paul Duncan, Sep 8, 2006
  17. Paul Duncan

    Paul Duncan Guest

    Re: Re : [ANN] Wirble 0.1.1: Irb Enhancements for the Masses

    --/LSm8UPTCLHL4o89

    * Surendra Singhi () wrote:
    > Hi Paul,
    > When I tried it on Windows XP, I get this wierd error:
    > I don't have rubilicious=20

    I've fixed this bug and packaged up an 0.1.2.

    Here's the URL(s):

    http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.2.tar.gz
    http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.1.2.tar.gz.asc
    http://pablotron.org/files/gems/wirble-0.1.2.gem
    http://pablotron.org/files/gems/wirble-0.1.2.gem.asc

    All I did was remove the accidental rubilicious depencency and
    regenerate the gem.

    By the way, some other people have had problems with the color codes
    under Windows, so I make no promises about how well that will work for
    you :).

    --=20
    Paul Duncan <> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
    http://www.pablotron.org/ OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

    --/LSm8UPTCLHL4o89

    --/LSm8UPTCLHL4o89--

    Paul Duncan, Sep 8, 2006
  18. Re: Re : [ANN] Wirble 0.1.1: Irb Enhancements for the Masses

    I got colors to work on my XP box by installing win32_console.

    http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/win32_console/

    after that I just added:
    require 'win32/console/ansi'

    Gordon Thiesfeld, Sep 9, 2006
  19. Paul Duncan

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Paul Duncan wrote:

    > I looked into highlighting the input in Irb, too. It's a lot more work,
    > but it might be doable. At a minimum, I'd need to write, borrow, or
    > steal a full-blown Ruby lexer. I'd probably need a more terminal-
    > friendly replacement for readlines (probably curses).

    You can use the lexer built into irb. I forget how it's
    done, but I did it two years ago. ;)

    Hal

    Hal Fulton, Sep 9, 2006
  20. Paul Duncan

    Hans Fugal Guest

    Paul Duncan wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I just released version 0.1.1 of Wirble. Wirble is a small collection
    > of enhancements Irb, packaged in an easy-to-use format. Wirble includes
    > tab-completion, persistent history, built-in ri support, and syntax
    > highlighting for Irb results.

    Nice! I think you should do auto indent too.

    IRB.conf[:AUTO_INDENT]=true

    Hans Fugal, Sep 9, 2006