[ANN] XPN 0.4.6

Discussion in 'Python' started by Nemesis, May 27, 2005.

  1. Nemesis

    Nemesis Guest

    XPN (X Python Newsreader XPN) is a multi-platform newsreader with
    Unicode support. It has features like scoring/actions, X-Face and Face
    decoding, muting of quoted text, newsrc import/export, find article and
    search in the body, spoiler char/rot13, random taglines, and
    configurable attribution lines.

    You can find it here:

    http://xpn.altervista.org/index-en.html
    http://sf.net/projects/xpn

    This is mainly a bug-fix release.
    Any feedback or help is really appreciated.
    If you want to translate XPN in your language you'll find the XPN.pot
    file inside the "lang" directory.

    New in the release:
    * v0.4.6: improved speed in article retrieving.
    * v0.4.6: added an indicator of unread articles in thread, now you don't have to open
    the thread in order to know if it contains unread articles.
    * v0.4.6: now the "CANCEL" works again, and "SUPERSEDE" lets you re-edit the original
    article text.
    * v0.4.6: fixed some pygtk issues, now XPN works correctly also with pygtk2.6 (and GTK2.6)
    * v0.4.6: fixed a bug in the "Edit Mail" window that caused some errors when closing
    the window.
    * v0.4.6: now the Error Dialog is shown also when XPN isn't able to start (thanks
    to Antonio Valentino).
    * v0.4.6: fixed some issues with shelve module that caused problems on some FreeBSD systems.
    * v0.4.6: some improvements in the french translation (thanks to Patrick Lamaiziere)
    * v0.4.6: some changes in the "raw view" management.
    * v0.4.6: changed subversion

    --
    I Used To Be Schizophrenic, But We're OK Now.

    |\ | |HomePage : http://nem01.altervista.org
    Nemesis, May 27, 2005

  2. Nemesis wrote:
    > XPN (X Python Newsreader XPN) is a multi-platform newsreader with
    > Unicode support. It has features like scoring/actions, X-Face and Face
    > decoding, muting of quoted text, newsrc import/export, find article and
    > search in the body, spoiler char/rot13, random taglines, and
    > configurable attribution lines.

    Wow, nice work!

    I'm using Thunderbird and am very happy with that, but
    looking quickly at your website it seems that XPN is a very
    nice application. Will it work on windows? It's not
    immediately clear to me...

    --Irmen
    Irmen de Jong, May 27, 2005

  3. Nemesis

    Nemesis Guest

    Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Irmen de Jong" scriveva:

    >> XPN (X Python Newsreader XPN) is a multi-platform newsreader with
    >> Unicode support. It has features like scoring/actions, X-Face and Face
    >> decoding, muting of quoted text, newsrc import/export, find article and
    >> search in the body, spoiler char/rot13, random taglines, and
    >> configurable attribution lines.

    > Wow, nice work!

    Thanks.

    > I'm using Thunderbird and am very happy with that, but
    > looking quickly at your website it seems that XPN is a very
    > nice application. Will it work on windows? It's not
    > immediately clear to me...

    Yes of course. You have thre options on Windowns:
    1) You have already installed Python + GTK + pyGTK.
    In this case just use XPN source version.
    2) You have installed GTK but not Python (I don't think this is your
    case ^__-).
    In this case you can use the binary version without GTK (the one
    large 2 MByte).
    3) You don't have GTK and Python.
    In this case simply use the binary version (the larger one).

    --
    I'm not unemployed... I'm a consultant.

    Nemesis, May 27, 2005