[ANN] XPN 0.5.0 released

Discussion in 'Python' started by Nemesis, Jul 25, 2005.

  1. Nemesis

    Nemesis Guest

    XPN (X Python Newsreader) is a multi-platform newsreader with Unicode
    support. It is written with Python+GTK. It has features like
    scoring/actions, X-Face and Face decoding, muting of quoted text,
    newsrc import/export, find article and search in the body, spoiler
    char/rot13, random taglines and configurable attribution lines.

    You can find it on:

    http://xpn.altervista.org/index-en.html

    or

    http://sf.net/projects/xpn

    Changes in this release:

    * added some checks on the validity of out-going articles, as required by
    the GNKSA2.0
    * added Reply-To, Followup-To and Newsgroups headers in the Article Pane,
    as required by the GNKSA2.0
    * added !setcolor action, it lets you modify the foreground and
    backgrounnd colors of the article.
    * added inverted rules, they are successfull when the match is not
    satisfied.
    * now is possible to disable the threaded view.
    * now sorting column in the Threads Pane is stored
    * the header parser has been rewritten
    * added double-click support when you subscribe/unsubscribe
    groups (thanks to Lethalman).
    * fixed a bug in the autowrap feature that created double lines
    in some circumstances.
    * now the "View Raw Article" is correctly stored.

    XPN is translated in Italian and French, if you'd like to translate it
    in your language and you are familiar with gettext and po-files
    editing please contact me ().
    --
    Calm down. It's only ones and zeros.

    |\ | |HomePage : http://nem01.altervista.org

    Nemesis, Jul 25, 2005

  2. On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:41:03 GMT, Nemesis <>
    wrote:

    >XPN (X Python Newsreader) is a multi-platform newsreader with Unicode
    >support. It is written with Python+GTK. It has features like
    >scoring/actions, X-Face and Face decoding, muting of quoted text,
    >newsrc import/export, find article and search in the body, spoiler
    >char/rot13, random taglines and configurable attribution lines.
    >[...]

    Hello Nemesis,

    cool, thank you, I like Xpn.

    Even better would be, if the Application would be written
    in wxPython :)

    Would it be possible to also customize the fonts in the
    groups and threads pane (I'd like to have everywhere proportional
    (monospaced fonts).
    --
    Franz Steinhaeusler

    Franz Steinhaeusler, Jul 25, 2005

  3. Nemesis

    Nemesis Guest

    Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhaeusler"
    scriveva:

    >>XPN (X Python Newsreader) is a multi-platform newsreader with Unicode
    >>support. It is written with Python+GTK. It has features like
    >>scoring/actions, X-Face and Face decoding, muting of quoted text,
    >>newsrc import/export, find article and search in the body, spoiler
    >>char/rot13, random taglines and configurable attribution lines.
    >>[...]

    > Hello Nemesis,

    Hi Franz,

    > cool, thank you, I like Xpn.

    thanks

    > Even better would be, if the Application would be written
    > in wxPython :)

    Hmm, I don't think so, I like pyGTK very much :-D

    > Would it be possible to also customize the fonts in the
    > groups and threads pane (I'd like to have everywhere proportional
    > (monospaced fonts).

    Not at the moment, maybe in the future ... but of course if you can't
    wait you can modify the source by yourself, the files to modify are
    xpn_src/Groups_Pane.py and xpn_src/Threads_Pane.py
    just add the line

    import pango

    in the both the files, and then:
    at the end of Groups_Pane.py add this line (do not change the
    indentation):

    self.groups_list.modify_font(pango.FontDescription("monospace 10"))

    at the end of Threads_Pane.py add this line (do not change the
    indentation):

    self.threads_tree.modify_font(pango.FontDescription("monospace 10"))

    of course you can change the font description as you like.

    --
    First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

    Nemesis, Jul 25, 2005
  4. On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:47:13 GMT, Nemesis <>
    wrote:

    >[...]

    Hello Nemesis,

    >> Would it be possible to also customize the fonts in the
    >> groups and threads pane (I'd like to have everywhere proportional
    >> (monospaced fonts).

    >Not at the moment, maybe in the future ... but of course if you can't
    >wait you can modify the source by yourself, the files to modify are
    >xpn_src/Groups_Pane.py and xpn_src/Threads_Pane.py
    >just add the line
    >
    >import pango
    >
    >in the both the files, and then:
    >at the end of Groups_Pane.py add this line (do not change the
    >indentation):
    >
    > self.groups_list.modify_font(pango.FontDescription("monospace 10"))
    >
    >at the end of Threads_Pane.py add this line (do not change the
    >indentation):
    >
    > self.threads_tree.modify_font(pango.FontDescription("monospace 10"))
    >
    >of course you can change the font description as you like.

    thank you for the tip.

    --
    Franz Steinhaeusler

    Franz Steinhaeusler, Jul 26, 2005