[ANN] XPN 0.6.5 released

Nemesis

XPN (X Python Newsreader) is a multi-platform newsreader with Unicode
support. It is written with Python+GTK. It has features like
scoring/actions, X-Face and Face decoding, muting of quoted text,
newsrc import/export, find article and search in the body, spoiler
char/rot13, random taglines and configurable attribution lines.

You can find it on:

http://xpn.altervista.org/index-en.html

or

http://sf.net/projects/xpn

Changes in this release:

* v0.6.5: now is possible to customize the keyboad shortcuts. XPN will also
check for duplicated shortcuts
* v0.6.5: added a new way to show threads, now is possible to put the
threads expander in the From column
* v0.6.5: now is possible to subscribe a group writing its name manually
so you don't have to download the groups list
* v0.6.5: now is possible to limit the number of articles headers to
download with the Get New Headers function
* v0.6.5: now is possible to choose the headers to show in the Article Pane,
and the background color of this area now is customizable
* v0.6.5: added two new layouts for the main window
* v0.6.5: now is possible to re-apply the scoring/action rules on the
articles you have already downloaded.
* v0.6.5: fixed a bug in the Config Window that caused XPN not to change the
color for URLs.
* v0.6.5: fixed a bug that caused XPN not open the next article when the
first thread was selected and collapsed
* v0.6.5: fixed a bug in the View Parent function
* v0.6.5: fixed a bug in the Export Newsrc function, that caused ad crash
trying to export groups with 0 articles inside.

XPN is translated in Italian French and German, if you'd like to translate it
in your language and you are familiar with gettext and po-files
editing please contact me ([email protected]).

Nemesis

Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Nemesis" scriveva:
XPN (X Python Newsreader) is a multi-platform newsreader with Unicode
support. It is written with Python+GTK. It has features like
scoring/actions, X-Face and Face decoding, muting of quoted text,
newsrc import/export, find article and search in the body, spoiler
char/rot13, random taglines and configurable attribution lines.
Changes in this release:

I'm sorry but I forgot to write that the article format is changed, so
if you want to keep your old articles you should perform a "Export
Newsrc" with the old XPN version and then a "Import Newsrc" with the
newer one.

Franz Steinhaeusler

XPN (X Python Newsreader) is a multi-platform newsreader with Unicode
support. It is written with Python+GTK. It has features like
scoring/actions, X-Face and Face decoding, muting of quoted text,
newsrc import/export, find article and search in the body, spoiler
char/rot13, random taglines and configurable attribution lines.

Hello Nemesis,

that is a great program, thank you.

I will try to use it and also attempt to
customize it, so that it works like forte agent.

<ironic>Even better would it be to have it in wxPython</ironic>

Some little points:

There is no progress bar or other info, if I subscribe one list.
There is a little in the lower left corner, but if a lot of headers
and bodies are received, the program seems to hang.
I actually killed it, because I thought that hanging.

It would be nice, if I click on the groups pane another group,
the messages appear immediatly, without needing to double click the
group.

When composing messages, the tab size is 8. It would be nice to
have the possibility to adjust this size.

Cheers

Nemesis

Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhaeusler"
scriveva:
XPN (X Python Newsreader) is a multi-platform newsreader with Unicode
[...]
Hello Nemesis,
that is a great program, thank you.
Thanks.

I will try to use it and also attempt to
customize it, so that it works like forte agent.
<ironic>Even better would it be to have it in wxPython</ironic>

I disagree :-D
Some little points:

There is no progress bar or other info, if I subscribe one list.
There is a little in the lower left corner, but if a lot of headers
and bodies are received, the program seems to hang.
I actually killed it, because I thought that hanging.

XPN is monothreaded, so when it is downloading the headers (it is a
monolotic job) the progress bar can't be updated.
It would be nice, if I click on the groups pane another group,
the messages appear immediatly, without needing to double click the
group.

You can configure this behaviour, in the Configure Window go to
"Misc"->"Miscellaneous" and you'll find two check buttons
One Click Enter Group
One Click Enter Article
When composing messages, the tab size is 8. It would be nice to
have the possibility to adjust this size.

Hmm, it is a GTK default I don't know if I can change it, I'll check it.

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhaeusler"
scriveva:

XPN is monothreaded, so when it is downloading the headers (it is a
monolotic job) the progress bar can't be updated.

Why? I guess there's a loop involved. Can't you update the GUI after
each message?

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Nemesis

Marc said:
Why? I guess there's a loop involved. Can't you update the GUI after
each message?

If you use the "Donwload New Headers" function XPN will download the
header for the subscribed groups, for each group it has to send the
NNTP command XOVER to retrieve the new headers. For each group I update
the interface when the XOVER command ends, so the interface gets
updated betweenfor every group but if there are a lot of new headers
the XOVER command can take a lot of time ... and during this time I
can't update the interface.
This is the pseudo-code

for group in subscribed:
nntplib.xover(group)
statusbar.push("Downloaded ...")
gtk.update_interface()

Franz Steinhaeusler

Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhaeusler"
scriveva:
[...]

Hello Nemesis,

you're welcome.
I disagree :-D

He he :)
XPN is monothreaded, so when it is downloading the headers (it is a
monolotic job) the progress bar can't be updated.

You can configure this behaviour, in the Configure Window go to
"Misc"->"Miscellaneous" and you'll find two check buttons
One Click Enter Group
One Click Enter Article

Thanks, this is quite useful.
Hmm, it is a GTK default I don't know if I can change it, I'll check it.

Not so important.

A few other notes (or should I post into the feature requests on
sourceforge?)

little point: I find it superfluos on the header pane, to always have
the term "Re:" before (it would probaly easier to read without this
text).

an option possibly (as in agent): if you click on the tree the "+" sign,
it would be more convenient (for me) to open *all* subbranches, this
means show all responses headers for this thread.

if you change the groups, it would be nice to remember the position of
the last readed thread in the header pane, which means changing forth
and back to a certain group (as option for example).

Nemesis

Franz said:
A few other notes (or should I post into the feature requests on
sourceforge?)

To be honest I do not check sourceforge forums very often. If you want
you can also send me an email (the email is written in the readme
file).
little point: I find it superfluos on the header pane, to always have
the term "Re:" before (it would probaly easier to read without this
text).

Maybe that's true ... but I tend not to modify the informations I show,
I like not to elaborate to much the articles.
an option possibly (as in agent): if you click on the tree the "+" sign,
it would be more convenient (for me) to open *all* subbranches, this
means show all responses headers for this thread.

I should change the behaviour of the expander and that's not a correct
way of acting.
You can expand the whole thread with the command "Expand Selected
Subthread" in the "Subscribed Groups" menu (or on the Toolbar). If you
want you can associate a shortcut to this function ... there is also a
standard GTK shortcut for this function SHIFT+CTRL+NUMPAD_PLUS
where NUMPAD_PLUS is the plus key on the numpad.
if you change the groups, it would be nice to remember the position of
the last readed thread in the header pane, which means changing forth
and back to a certain group (as option for example).

that's an optimization I've thinking about for a while ... but at the
moment I don't know how to implement it.

Franz Steinhäusler

To be honest I do not check sourceforge forums very often. If you want
you can also send me an email (the email is written in the readme
file).

Ok. I have still a few suggestions! ;)
Maybe that's true ... but I tend not to modify the informations I show,
I like not to elaborate to much the articles.
Yes.

I should change the behaviour of the expander and that's not a correct
way of acting.
You can expand the whole thread with the command "Expand Selected
Subthread" in the "Subscribed Groups" menu (or on the Toolbar). If you
want you can associate a shortcut to this function ... there is also a
standard GTK shortcut for this function SHIFT+CTRL+NUMPAD_PLUS
where NUMPAD_PLUS is the plus key on the numpad.

Ah, great. I changed, this was not working immediatly.
So I remembered, most often you have to restart the App, and so its is
working.

Small Notice: There was the warning then: Another Instance is running,
I pressed yes.

that's an optimization I've thinking about for a while ... but at the
moment I don't know how to implement it.

I see, you have to remember after refreshing the list the position and
the state of the folding. I can imagine, this is not trivial.

I'm sure, I will discover some more useful things about your program!
In some cases, it already beats forte agent!

Some remarks:

* I don't find any function to delete threads or single messages (for
spam messages for instance)

* It would be fine to have an option to switch in search for "case
insensitive" as default on.

* nice would be, if nothing is found in the search, a little message
box appear.

* threads are somtimes not assigned correctly, this means, that
one thread is divided into two.
I subscribed to wxPyhton mailing list in gmane, and there is:
One thread
Applications written in wxPyhton
and another
RE: Applications written in wxPyhton

but this (is) or should be *one* thread.

* the enter key is not working in some dialogs (for example in search)
and Esc to cancel the dialog. (or is that a gkt issue?)

* the find dialog is sometimes not working

* in the find, it would be nice to remember the last state.
I check (case insensitive on, and the next time, this option is of
again).

* After starting XPN, it would be good, to jump
either the last selected group or the first group immediatly
showing the headers.

* to mark more than one article at one time (to be able to mark
multiple articles at one as read, ...)

* If I press 'n' for next: the last message is reached in a group,
and I find it useful to jump to the next group and looks for the next
unread message. (Now it simply stops there).

If I am wrong about some things, please correct me.
It could be that I have overseen some things.

best regards,

Franz Steinhäusler

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 18:16:13 +0200, Franz Steinhäusler

:::: Sat Sep 16 18:23:04 2006 ::::

For the find, I personally would prefer to jump default to "body",
but this is of course a matter of taste.
Could that be an option.

I dos prompt, all the time the prompt doesn't return anymore
(are there still open windows)?

I quit with ctrl-break:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 507, in destroy

self.purge_groups()

File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 2456, in purge_groups

articles.update(articles_dict)

File "C:\Python24\lib\UserDict.py", line 147, in update

self[k] = v

File "c:\Python24\lib\shelve.py", line 129, in __setitem__

p.dump(value)

KeyboardInterrupt

If I start next time I get "An Instance of XPN" is already running.

I think, there is a problem with the shutdown of the program.

I changed the key Find message to ctrl f, and then I restart, I got:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 2987, in ?
main=MainWin(options.use_home,options.custom_dir)
File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 2917, in __init__
self.show_subscribed()
File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 557, in show_subscribed
total=len(articles.keys())
File "c:\Python24\lib\shelve.py", line 98, in keys
return self.dict.keys()
File "C:\Python24\lib\bsddb\__init__.py", line 238, in keys
return self.db.keys()
DBPageNotFoundError: (-30988, 'DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not
found')

I cannot start the program anymore.

maybe it has something to to with shortcuts.dat.
(I don't know).

Cheers,

Nemesis

Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhäusler" scriveva:
Ah, great. I changed, this was not working immediatly.
So I remembered, most often you have to restart the App, and so its is
working.

Here is working fine.
Small Notice: There was the warning then: Another Instance is running,
I pressed yes.

XPN uses the file xpn.lock to see if there is another istance running,
if the program is not closed correctly it doesn't remove this file so
you get the warning.
I see, you have to remember after refreshing the list the position and
the state of the folding. I can imagine, this is not trivial.

That's right. You should also remember the open/closed threads ... at
least the one with the article selected.
I'm sure, I will discover some more useful things about your program!
In some cases, it already beats forte agent!

Thank you. Agent is (was) a great software I've been using it for a long
time.
Some remarks:
* threads are somtimes not assigned correctly, this means, that
one thread is divided into two.
I subscribed to wxPyhton mailing list in gmane, and there is:
One thread
Applications written in wxPyhton
and another
RE: Applications written in wxPyhton

threading is based on the References header and then on the subject, you
can have problems with mailing-lists cause mail-agents sometimes do not
produce the References header but only the In-Reply-To.
Another problem could be the date, before building the threads XPN
reorders the articles by date ... but if the date in the article is
wrong it can confuse the threads.
but this (is) or should be *one* thread.
Yes.

* the enter key is not working in some dialogs (for example in search)
and Esc to cancel the dialog. (or is that a gkt issue?)

It's a focus issue, in the search dialog the focus is set on the entry.
The Esc key is not binded to any button by default.
* the find dialog is sometimes not working

What exactly is not working?
* to mark more than one article at one time (to be able to mark
multiple articles at one as read, ...)

Yes but selecting more then one article introduces some difficulties I
preferred to avoid for the moment ;-)

Nemesis

Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhäusler" scriveva:

For the find, I personally would prefer to jump default to "body",
but this is of course a matter of taste.

Do you mean you would like the focus to be set on the "body" search
field?
I dos prompt, all the time the prompt doesn't return anymore
(are there still open windows)?

I quit with ctrl-break:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 507, in destroy

self.purge_groups()

File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 2456, in purge_groups

articles.update(articles_dict)

File "C:\Python24\lib\UserDict.py", line 147, in update

self[k] = v

File "c:\Python24\lib\shelve.py", line 129, in __setitem__

p.dump(value)

KeyboardInterrupt

I don't know how "CTRL+break" interact with XPN, it's better to close it
with its exit function "CTRL+E".
I changed the key Find message to ctrl f, and then I restart, I got:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 2987, in ?
main=MainWin(options.use_home,options.custom_dir)
File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 2917, in __init__
self.show_subscribed()
File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 557, in show_subscribed
total=len(articles.keys())
File "c:\Python24\lib\shelve.py", line 98, in keys
return self.dict.keys()
File "C:\Python24\lib\bsddb\__init__.py", line 238, in keys
return self.db.keys()
DBPageNotFoundError: (-30988, 'DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not
found')
I cannot start the program anymore.

maybe it has something to to with shortcuts.dat.
(I don't know).

No I don't think it is related to the shortcuts, it seems that
your articles db is corrupted, it got broken when the application has
been closed not in the right way.

Franz Steinhäusler

Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhäusler" scriveva:

Do you mean you would like the focus to be set on the "body" search
field?

Yes, that I meant.
I dos prompt, all the time the prompt doesn't return anymore
(are there still open windows)?

I quit with ctrl-break:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 507, in destroy

self.purge_groups()

File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 2456, in purge_groups

articles.update(articles_dict)

File "C:\Python24\lib\UserDict.py", line 147, in update

self[k] = v

File "c:\Python24\lib\shelve.py", line 129, in __setitem__

p.dump(value)

KeyboardInterrupt

I don't know how "CTRL+break" interact with XPN, it's better to close it
with its exit function "CTRL+E".

Because it hanged. The dos prompt didn't return, so I have to
type ctrl-c or ctrl-break to get the prompt back.
No I don't think it is related to the shortcuts, it seems that
your articles db is corrupted, it got broken when the application has
been closed not in the right way.

Aha. I try again any further.

Franz Steinhäusler

Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhäusler" scriveva:

Here is working fine.

I am on windows, is there maybe a difference (?).
XPN uses the file xpn.lock to see if there is another istance running,
if the program is not closed correctly it doesn't remove this file so
you get the warning.

I see.
That's right. You should also remember the open/closed threads ... at
least the one with the article selected.

Anyway, not soo important.
Thank you. Agent is (was) a great software I've been using it for a long
time.

Cool, we have both an equal starting-point. ;)
threading is based on the References header and then on the subject, you
can have problems with mailing-lists cause mail-agents sometimes do not
produce the References header but only the In-Reply-To.
Another problem could be the date, before building the threads XPN
reorders the articles by date ... but if the date in the article is
wrong it can confuse the threads.

Aha, I don't understand all the details anyway, in Forte the same
thread was ordered in.

It's a focus issue, in the search dialog the focus is set on the entry.
The Esc key is not binded to any button by default.
That would be convenient, pressing "Enter" to perform the awaited
process and cancel to abandon the dialogue.
What exactly is not working?

Sorry, I think, I have made an error myself. That means I typed the
search string in "From", where I excpeted to look for headers search.
Yes but selecting more then one article introduces some difficulties I
preferred to avoid for the moment ;-)

Ok.

If you don't mind, I will make a thorough test :)
I don't want to bother more than necessary.
I want to make it happen, that XPN will be my "default" Newsreader!!!

Many thanks again for your answers and this wonderful piece of
sofware!

Nemesis

Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhäusler" scriveva:
Yes, that I meant.

OK .. then it's a matter of taste ;-)
Because it hanged. The dos prompt didn't return, so I have to
type ctrl-c or ctrl-break to get the prompt back.

Ah, maybe it was still purging the groups, did you have groups with lots
of articles?

Nemesis

Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhäusler" scriveva:
I am on windows, is there maybe a difference (?).

I don't think so, I use XPN alo on Win2000 and WinXP and this shortcut
works fine on Windows too.

[threading]
Aha, I don't understand all the details anyway, in Forte the same
thread was ordered in.

The References header contains the Message-id of the article as they
appear in the thread, the last message-id in the references field is the
message-id of the parent article.
In-Reply-To is similar ... but it contains only the message-id of the
parent article, it is not a standard usenet header it is used by
mail-agents.
I use only References to build threads ... maybe Agent uses also
In-Reply-To.
That would be convenient, pressing "Enter" to perform the awaited
process and cancel to abandon the dialogue.

But in the search dialog before you start the search you have to write
what you are searching ... so the software must be set on the entry.

If you don't mind, I will make a thorough test :)
I don't want to bother more than necessary.
I want to make it happen, that XPN will be my "default" Newsreader!!!
Many thanks again for your answers and this wonderful piece of
sofware!

Thank you for your suggestions.

Franz Steinhaeusler

Nemesis wrote:

Hello Nemesis,

this I post with XPN! ;)
[...]

Ack.
If you don't mind, I will make a thorough test :)
I don't want to bother more than necessary.
I want to make it happen, that XPN will be my "default" Newsreader!!!
Many thanks again for your answers and this wonderful piece of
sofware!

Thank you for your suggestions.

you'r welcome.

Again a few points! ;)

I managed it to get it run again. ;)

My next try was a second newsserver.
(It would be nice to have it in one installation,
but priority is not so high)

I have XPN in one directorry (for my default newsserver)
and I installed XPN in a second directory for Gmane.

--

A user defineable Title bar as in Agent would be good.
(Then I could name the first instance "My News" or so, and the

--

I find it useful in every program to have accelerator keys for
buttons, radio boxes, ...; this means for example the underscor letter

--

The line spacing (vertically) in the header is a little higher than in wxPython programs
or also in Forte agent. I suspect, this is a "feature" in PyGtk.

--

Is Saving attachments possible? I didn't see a menu point, nor are the threads
are marked, having an attachment.

--
An option to set X-No Archive default in the subscribed groups would be nice.

--

Only an open thought:

I (am/was) a member of the python editor DrPython written in wxPython.
(Project is on the sourceforge page).
I contributed some plugins for that, and I like the idea very much.
The core of the program remains relativly small, and all the users can
extend the program.
The author do not have to fulfil all feature requests in the core,
and can tell the users to extend the functionality with a plugin
himself, or can assist him.
And aside from writing plugins, I enjoyed.
We have an repository of the plugins and there are far more than 10 available.
Would such an idea make sense for XPN?

XPN seems pretty stable and I enjoy this program more and more!

Cheers,

Franz Steinhaeusler

Franz said:
A user defineable Title bar as in Agent would be good.
(Then I could name the first instance "My News" or so, and the
second one "Gmane". So easier navigating in Windows and also
the tips in the task bar could be helpful for that.

Sorry, I repost this, because I accidentially inserted
Signatur headers ("--") to split the points, so again:

[...]

Good :)
My next try was a second newsserver.
(It would be nice to have it in one installation,
but priority is not so high)

I have XPN in one directorry (for my default newsserver)
and I installed XPN in a second directory for Gmane.

It is not necessary, if you are using the source version (and since we
are on comp.lang.python I think so) you can use the command line option
-c

python xpn.py -c your_dir

and XPN will store its configs and data in this directory.
A user defineable Title bar as in Agent would be good.
(Then I could name the first instance "My News" or so, and the
second one "Gmane". So easier navigating in Windows and also
the tips in the task bar could be helpful for that.

you can tweak the code if you want ;-)
the file is xpn.py

The line spacing (vertically) in the header is a little higher than in
wxPython programs or also in Forte agent. I suspect, this is a
"feature" in PyGtk. narrower lines would display more headers, this
means more headers would be visible at once.

but maybe the view will be a little more messed ... anyway I'm not sure
I can change the size, maybe it depends on the font size.
Is Saving attachments possible? I didn't see a menu point, nor are the threads
are marked, having an attachment.

no, XPN is definitively text-oriented. I'm not supporting attachments in
any way.
An option to set X-No Archive default in the subscribed groups would be
nice.

I don't like X-No-Archive ... but anyway you can set you custome header
to be used in every post you send in the Config Window (Posting tab)

Only an open thought:

[plugins]
Would such an idea make sense for XPN?

yes but I should implement in some way the plugin support ... and I
don't know how to do it.

XPN seems pretty stable and I enjoy this program more and more!

thank you very much.

Franz Steinhaeusler

Nemesis said:
Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhaeusler"
scriveva:

Good :)

Yes, it is working fine. I also find the different coloring
between quoting first and second level very clear-presented. ;)
It is not necessary, if you are using the source version (and since we
are on comp.lang.python I think so) you can use the command line option
-c

python xpn.py -c your_dir

and XPN will store its configs and data in this directory.

Great! I'll check.
you can tweak the code if you want ;-)
the file is xpn.py

I see.
but maybe the view will be a little more messed ... anyway I'm not sure
I can change the size, maybe it depends on the font size.

You could try it, and decide if this will look better, but I don't
think, it is doable (I saw this big line spacing also on atol, the gtk
file manager on sourceforge written in gtk and C++).
no, XPN is definitively text-oriented. I'm not supporting attachments in
any way.

The matter is, for example in wxPython mailing list, mirrored on gmane,
many attachments (source code samples) are delivered with attachments,
and this would be cool. But all the same... (maybe I apply a patch
some time in the next years...) :)
An option to set X-No Archive default in the subscribed groups would be
nice.

I don't like X-No-Archive ... but anyway you can set you custome header
to be used in every post you send in the Config Window (Posting tab)

Ok.

Only an open thought:

[plugins]
Would such an idea make sense for XPN?

yes but I should implement in some way the plugin support ... and I
don't know how to do it.

Not so important, and not urgent, only an idea, got from DrPython! :)
thank you very much.

you're welcome and keep the good work!