[ANN] XPN 0.6.5 released

Discussion in 'Python' started by Nemesis, Sep 12, 2006.

  1. Nemesis

    Nemesis Guest

    XPN (X Python Newsreader) is a multi-platform newsreader with Unicode
    support. It is written with Python+GTK. It has features like
    scoring/actions, X-Face and Face decoding, muting of quoted text,
    newsrc import/export, find article and search in the body, spoiler
    char/rot13, random taglines and configurable attribution lines.

    You can find it on:

    http://xpn.altervista.org/index-en.html

    or

    http://sf.net/projects/xpn

    Changes in this release:

    * v0.6.5: now is possible to customize the keyboad shortcuts. XPN will also
    check for duplicated shortcuts
    * v0.6.5: added a new way to show threads, now is possible to put the
    threads expander in the From column
    * v0.6.5: now is possible to subscribe a group writing its name manually
    so you don't have to download the groups list
    * v0.6.5: now is possible to limit the number of articles headers to
    download with the Get New Headers function
    * v0.6.5: now is possible to choose the headers to show in the Article Pane,
    and the background color of this area now is customizable
    * v0.6.5: added two new layouts for the main window
    * v0.6.5: now is possible to re-apply the scoring/action rules on the
    articles you have already downloaded.
    * v0.6.5: fixed a bug in the Config Window that caused XPN not to change the
    color for URLs.
    * v0.6.5: fixed a bug that caused XPN not open the next article when the
    first thread was selected and collapsed
    * v0.6.5: fixed a bug in the View Parent function
    * v0.6.5: fixed a bug in the Export Newsrc function, that caused ad crash
    trying to export groups with 0 articles inside.

    XPN is translated in Italian French and German, if you'd like to translate it
    in your language and you are familiar with gettext and po-files
    editing please contact me ().
    --
    I got real close to seeing Elvis, but my shovel broke.

    |\ | |HomePage : http://nem01.altervista.org

    Nemesis, Sep 12, 2006

  2. Nemesis

    Nemesis Guest

    Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Nemesis" scriveva:

    > XPN (X Python Newsreader) is a multi-platform newsreader with Unicode
    > support. It is written with Python+GTK. It has features like
    > scoring/actions, X-Face and Face decoding, muting of quoted text,
    > newsrc import/export, find article and search in the body, spoiler
    > char/rot13, random taglines and configurable attribution lines.

    > Changes in this release:

    I'm sorry but I forgot to write that the article format is changed, so
    if you want to keep your old articles you should perform a "Export
    Newsrc" with the old XPN version and then a "Import Newsrc" with the
    newer one.

    --
    Redneck: (n); a person whose family tree doesn't fork.

    Nemesis, Sep 13, 2006

  3. On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:15:58 GMT, Nemesis <>
    wrote:

    >XPN (X Python Newsreader) is a multi-platform newsreader with Unicode
    >support. It is written with Python+GTK. It has features like
    >scoring/actions, X-Face and Face decoding, muting of quoted text,
    >newsrc import/export, find article and search in the body, spoiler
    >char/rot13, random taglines and configurable attribution lines.

    Hello Nemesis,

    that is a great program, thank you.

    I will try to use it and also attempt to
    customize it, so that it works like forte agent.

    <ironic>Even better would it be to have it in wxPython</ironic>

    Some little points:

    There is no progress bar or other info, if I subscribe one list.
    There is a little in the lower left corner, but if a lot of headers
    and bodies are received, the program seems to hang.
    I actually killed it, because I thought that hanging.

    It would be nice, if I click on the groups pane another group,
    the messages appear immediatly, without needing to double click the
    group.

    When composing messages, the tab size is 8. It would be nice to
    have the possibility to adjust this size.

    Cheers

    Franz Steinhaeusler, Sep 14, 2006
  4. Nemesis

    Nemesis Guest

    Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhaeusler"
    scriveva:

    >>XPN (X Python Newsreader) is a multi-platform newsreader with Unicode

    [...]
    > Hello Nemesis,
    > that is a great program, thank you.

    Thanks.

    > I will try to use it and also attempt to
    > customize it, so that it works like forte agent.
    > <ironic>Even better would it be to have it in wxPython</ironic>

    I disagree :-D

    > Some little points:
    >
    > There is no progress bar or other info, if I subscribe one list.
    > There is a little in the lower left corner, but if a lot of headers
    > and bodies are received, the program seems to hang.
    > I actually killed it, because I thought that hanging.

    XPN is monothreaded, so when it is downloading the headers (it is a
    monolotic job) the progress bar can't be updated.

    > It would be nice, if I click on the groups pane another group,
    > the messages appear immediatly, without needing to double click the
    > group.

    You can configure this behaviour, in the Configure Window go to
    "Misc"->"Miscellaneous" and you'll find two check buttons
    One Click Enter Group
    One Click Enter Article

    > When composing messages, the tab size is 8. It would be nice to
    > have the possibility to adjust this size.

    Hmm, it is a GTK default I don't know if I can change it, I'll check it.

    --
    I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

    Nemesis, Sep 14, 2006
  5. In <>, Nemesis wrote:

    > Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhaeusler"
    > scriveva:
    >
    >> There is no progress bar or other info, if I subscribe one list.
    >> There is a little in the lower left corner, but if a lot of headers
    >> and bodies are received, the program seems to hang.
    >> I actually killed it, because I thought that hanging.

    > XPN is monothreaded, so when it is downloading the headers (it is a
    > monolotic job) the progress bar can't be updated.

    Why? I guess there's a loop involved. Can't you update the GUI after
    each message?

    Ciao,
    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch, Sep 15, 2006
  6. Nemesis

    Nemesis Guest

    Re: XPN 0.6.5 released

    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch wrote:
    > > XPN is monothreaded, so when it is downloading the headers (it is a
    > > monolotic job) the progress bar can't be updated.

    > Why? I guess there's a loop involved. Can't you update the GUI after
    > each message?

    If you use the "Donwload New Headers" function XPN will download the
    header for the subscribed groups, for each group it has to send the
    NNTP command XOVER to retrieve the new headers. For each group I update
    the interface when the XOVER command ends, so the interface gets
    updated betweenfor every group but if there are a lot of new headers
    the XOVER command can take a lot of time ... and during this time I
    can't update the interface.
    This is the pseudo-code

    for group in subscribed:
    nntplib.xover(group)
    statusbar.push("Downloaded ...")
    gtk.update_interface()

    Nemesis, Sep 15, 2006
  7. On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:36:01 GMT, Nemesis <>
    wrote:

    >Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhaeusler"
    >scriveva:
    >
    >>>XPN (X Python Newsreader) is a multi-platform newsreader with Unicode

    >[...]

    Hello Nemesis,

    >> Hello Nemesis,
    >> that is a great program, thank you.

    >Thanks.

    you're welcome.

    >> I will try to use it and also attempt to
    >> customize it, so that it works like forte agent.
    >> <ironic>Even better would it be to have it in wxPython</ironic>

    >I disagree :-D

    He he :)

    >> Some little points:
    >>
    >> There is no progress bar or other info, if I subscribe one list.
    >> There is a little in the lower left corner, but if a lot of headers
    >> and bodies are received, the program seems to hang.
    >> I actually killed it, because I thought that hanging.

    >XPN is monothreaded, so when it is downloading the headers (it is a
    >monolotic job) the progress bar can't be updated.
    >
    >> It would be nice, if I click on the groups pane another group,
    >> the messages appear immediatly, without needing to double click the
    >> group.

    >You can configure this behaviour, in the Configure Window go to
    >"Misc"->"Miscellaneous" and you'll find two check buttons
    >One Click Enter Group
    >One Click Enter Article

    Thanks, this is quite useful.

    >> When composing messages, the tab size is 8. It would be nice to
    >> have the possibility to adjust this size.

    >Hmm, it is a GTK default I don't know if I can change it, I'll check it.

    Not so important.

    A few other notes (or should I post into the feature requests on
    sourceforge?)

    little point: I find it superfluos on the header pane, to always have
    the term "Re:" before (it would probaly easier to read without this
    text).

    an option possibly (as in agent): if you click on the tree the "+" sign,
    it would be more convenient (for me) to open *all* subbranches, this
    means show all responses headers for this thread.

    if you change the groups, it would be nice to remember the position of
    the last readed thread in the header pane, which means changing forth
    and back to a certain group (as option for example).

    Franz Steinhaeusler, Sep 15, 2006
  8. Nemesis

    Nemesis Guest

    Re: XPN 0.6.5 released

    Franz Steinhaeusler wrote:
    > A few other notes (or should I post into the feature requests on
    > sourceforge?)

    To be honest I do not check sourceforge forums very often. If you want
    you can also send me an email (the email is written in the readme
    file).

    > little point: I find it superfluos on the header pane, to always have
    > the term "Re:" before (it would probaly easier to read without this
    > text).

    Maybe that's true ... but I tend not to modify the informations I show,
    I like not to elaborate to much the articles.

    > an option possibly (as in agent): if you click on the tree the "+" sign,
    > it would be more convenient (for me) to open *all* subbranches, this
    > means show all responses headers for this thread.

    I should change the behaviour of the expander and that's not a correct
    way of acting.
    You can expand the whole thread with the command "Expand Selected
    Subthread" in the "Subscribed Groups" menu (or on the Toolbar). If you
    want you can associate a shortcut to this function ... there is also a
    standard GTK shortcut for this function SHIFT+CTRL+NUMPAD_PLUS
    where NUMPAD_PLUS is the plus key on the numpad.

    > if you change the groups, it would be nice to remember the position of
    > the last readed thread in the header pane, which means changing forth
    > and back to a certain group (as option for example).

    that's an optimization I've thinking about for a while ... but at the
    moment I don't know how to implement it.

    Nemesis, Sep 15, 2006
  9. Re: XPN 0.6.5 released

    On 15 Sep 2006 06:11:12 -0700, "Nemesis" <>
    wrote:

    >Franz Steinhaeusler wrote:
    >> A few other notes (or should I post into the feature requests on
    >> sourceforge?)

    >To be honest I do not check sourceforge forums very often. If you want
    >you can also send me an email (the email is written in the readme
    >file).

    Ok. I have still a few suggestions! ;)

    >> little point: I find it superfluos on the header pane, to always have
    >> the term "Re:" before (it would probaly easier to read without this
    >> text).

    >Maybe that's true ... but I tend not to modify the informations I show,
    >I like not to elaborate to much the articles.

    Yes.

    >> an option possibly (as in agent): if you click on the tree the "+" sign,
    >> it would be more convenient (for me) to open *all* subbranches, this
    >> means show all responses headers for this thread.

    >I should change the behaviour of the expander and that's not a correct
    >way of acting.
    >You can expand the whole thread with the command "Expand Selected
    >Subthread" in the "Subscribed Groups" menu (or on the Toolbar). If you
    >want you can associate a shortcut to this function ... there is also a
    >standard GTK shortcut for this function SHIFT+CTRL+NUMPAD_PLUS
    >where NUMPAD_PLUS is the plus key on the numpad.

    Ah, great. I changed, this was not working immediatly.
    So I remembered, most often you have to restart the App, and so its is
    working.

    Small Notice: There was the warning then: Another Instance is running,
    I pressed yes.

    >> if you change the groups, it would be nice to remember the position of
    >> the last readed thread in the header pane, which means changing forth
    >> and back to a certain group (as option for example).

    >that's an optimization I've thinking about for a while ... but at the
    >moment I don't know how to implement it.

    I see, you have to remember after refreshing the list the position and
    the state of the folding. I can imagine, this is not trivial.

    I'm sure, I will discover some more useful things about your program!
    In some cases, it already beats forte agent!

    Some remarks:

    * I don't find any function to delete threads or single messages (for
    spam messages for instance)

    * It would be fine to have an option to switch in search for "case
    insensitive" as default on.

    * nice would be, if nothing is found in the search, a little message
    box appear.

    * threads are somtimes not assigned correctly, this means, that
    one thread is divided into two.
    I subscribed to wxPyhton mailing list in gmane, and there is:
    One thread
    Applications written in wxPyhton
    and another
    RE: Applications written in wxPyhton

    but this (is) or should be *one* thread.

    * the enter key is not working in some dialogs (for example in search)
    and Esc to cancel the dialog. (or is that a gkt issue?)

    * the find dialog is sometimes not working

    * in the find, it would be nice to remember the last state.
    I check (case insensitive on, and the next time, this option is of
    again).

    * After starting XPN, it would be good, to jump
    either the last selected group or the first group immediatly
    showing the headers.

    * to mark more than one article at one time (to be able to mark
    multiple articles at one as read, ...)

    * If I press 'n' for next: the last message is reached in a group,
    and I find it useful to jump to the next group and looks for the next
    unread message. (Now it simply stops there).

    If I am wrong about some things, please correct me.
    It could be that I have overseen some things.

    best regards,

    --
    Franz Steinhaeusler

    Franz Steinhäusler, Sep 16, 2006
  10. Re: XPN 0.6.5 released

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 18:16:13 +0200, Franz Steinhäusler
    <> wrote:

    :::: Sat Sep 16 18:23:04 2006 ::::

    For the find, I personally would prefer to jump default to "body",
    but this is of course a matter of taste.
    Could that be an option.

    I dos prompt, all the time the prompt doesn't return anymore
    (are there still open windows)?

    I quit with ctrl-break:

    Traceback (most recent call last):

    File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 507, in destroy

    self.purge_groups()

    File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 2456, in purge_groups

    articles.update(articles_dict)

    File "C:\Python24\lib\UserDict.py", line 147, in update

    self[k] = v

    File "c:\Python24\lib\shelve.py", line 129, in __setitem__

    p.dump(value)

    KeyboardInterrupt

    If I start next time I get "An Instance of XPN" is already running.

    I think, there is a problem with the shutdown of the program.

    I changed the key Find message to ctrl f, and then I restart, I got:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 2987, in ?
    main=MainWin(options.use_home,options.custom_dir)
    File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 2917, in __init__
    self.show_subscribed()
    File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 557, in show_subscribed
    total=len(articles.keys())
    File "c:\Python24\lib\shelve.py", line 98, in keys
    return self.dict.keys()
    File "C:\Python24\lib\bsddb\__init__.py", line 238, in keys
    return self.db.keys()
    DBPageNotFoundError: (-30988, 'DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not
    found')

    I cannot start the program anymore.

    maybe it has something to to with shortcuts.dat.
    (I don't know).

    Cheers,
    --
    Franz Steinhaeusler

    Franz Steinhäusler, Sep 16, 2006
  11. Nemesis

    Nemesis Guest

    Re: XPN 0.6.5 released

    Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhäusler" scriveva:

    > Ah, great. I changed, this was not working immediatly.
    > So I remembered, most often you have to restart the App, and so its is
    > working.

    Here is working fine.

    > Small Notice: There was the warning then: Another Instance is running,
    > I pressed yes.

    XPN uses the file xpn.lock to see if there is another istance running,
    if the program is not closed correctly it doesn't remove this file so
    you get the warning.

    >>that's an optimization I've thinking about for a while ... but at the
    >>moment I don't know how to implement it.

    > I see, you have to remember after refreshing the list the position and
    > the state of the folding. I can imagine, this is not trivial.

    That's right. You should also remember the open/closed threads ... at
    least the one with the article selected.

    > I'm sure, I will discover some more useful things about your program!
    > In some cases, it already beats forte agent!

    Thank you. Agent is (was) a great software I've been using it for a long
    time.

    > Some remarks:

    > * threads are somtimes not assigned correctly, this means, that
    > one thread is divided into two.
    > I subscribed to wxPyhton mailing list in gmane, and there is:
    > One thread
    > Applications written in wxPyhton
    > and another
    > RE: Applications written in wxPyhton

    threading is based on the References header and then on the subject, you
    can have problems with mailing-lists cause mail-agents sometimes do not
    produce the References header but only the In-Reply-To.
    Another problem could be the date, before building the threads XPN
    reorders the articles by date ... but if the date in the article is
    wrong it can confuse the threads.

    > but this (is) or should be *one* thread.

    Yes.

    > * the enter key is not working in some dialogs (for example in search)
    > and Esc to cancel the dialog. (or is that a gkt issue?)

    It's a focus issue, in the search dialog the focus is set on the entry.
    The Esc key is not binded to any button by default.

    > * the find dialog is sometimes not working

    What exactly is not working?

    > * to mark more than one article at one time (to be able to mark
    > multiple articles at one as read, ...)

    Yes but selecting more then one article introduces some difficulties I
    preferred to avoid for the moment ;-)

    --
    Le donne spesso non sanno d'essere sedute sulla loro fortuna.

    Nemesis, Sep 16, 2006
  12. Nemesis

    Nemesis Guest

    Re: XPN 0.6.5 released

    Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhäusler" scriveva:

    > For the find, I personally would prefer to jump default to "body",
    > but this is of course a matter of taste.

    Do you mean you would like the focus to be set on the "body" search
    field?

    > I dos prompt, all the time the prompt doesn't return anymore
    > (are there still open windows)?
    >

    > I quit with ctrl-break:
    >
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    >
    > File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 507, in destroy
    >
    > self.purge_groups()
    >
    > File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 2456, in purge_groups
    >
    > articles.update(articles_dict)
    >
    > File "C:\Python24\lib\UserDict.py", line 147, in update
    >
    > self[k] = v
    >
    > File "c:\Python24\lib\shelve.py", line 129, in __setitem__
    >
    > p.dump(value)
    >
    > KeyboardInterrupt

    I don't know how "CTRL+break" interact with XPN, it's better to close it
    with its exit function "CTRL+E".

    > I changed the key Find message to ctrl f, and then I restart, I got:
    >

    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 2987, in ?
    > main=MainWin(options.use_home,options.custom_dir)
    > File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 2917, in __init__
    > self.show_subscribed()
    > File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 557, in show_subscribed
    > total=len(articles.keys())
    > File "c:\Python24\lib\shelve.py", line 98, in keys
    > return self.dict.keys()
    > File "C:\Python24\lib\bsddb\__init__.py", line 238, in keys
    > return self.db.keys()
    > DBPageNotFoundError: (-30988, 'DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not
    > found')
    > I cannot start the program anymore.
    >
    > maybe it has something to to with shortcuts.dat.
    > (I don't know).

    No I don't think it is related to the shortcuts, it seems that
    your articles db is corrupted, it got broken when the application has
    been closed not in the right way.

    --
    You can tune a guitar, but you can't tuna fish.

    Nemesis, Sep 16, 2006
  13. Re: XPN 0.6.5 released

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 17:54:27 GMT, Nemesis <>
    wrote:

    >Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhäusler" scriveva:
    >

    >> For the find, I personally would prefer to jump default to "body",
    >> but this is of course a matter of taste.

    >Do you mean you would like the focus to be set on the "body" search
    >field?

    Yes, that I meant.

    >> I dos prompt, all the time the prompt doesn't return anymore
    >> (are there still open windows)?
    >>

    >> I quit with ctrl-break:
    >>
    >> Traceback (most recent call last):
    >>
    >> File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 507, in destroy
    >>
    >> self.purge_groups()
    >>
    >> File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 2456, in purge_groups
    >>
    >> articles.update(articles_dict)
    >>
    >> File "C:\Python24\lib\UserDict.py", line 147, in update
    >>
    >> self[k] = v
    >>
    >> File "c:\Python24\lib\shelve.py", line 129, in __setitem__
    >>
    >> p.dump(value)
    >>
    >> KeyboardInterrupt

    >I don't know how "CTRL+break" interact with XPN, it's better to close it
    >with its exit function "CTRL+E".

    Because it hanged. The dos prompt didn't return, so I have to
    type ctrl-c or ctrl-break to get the prompt back.

    >> I changed the key Find message to ctrl f, and then I restart, I got:
    >>

    >> Traceback (most recent call last):
    >> File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 2987, in ?
    >> main=MainWin(options.use_home,options.custom_dir)
    >> File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 2917, in __init__
    >> self.show_subscribed()
    >> File "c:\Programme\xpn\xpn.py", line 557, in show_subscribed
    >> total=len(articles.keys())
    >> File "c:\Python24\lib\shelve.py", line 98, in keys
    >> return self.dict.keys()
    >> File "C:\Python24\lib\bsddb\__init__.py", line 238, in keys
    >> return self.db.keys()
    >> DBPageNotFoundError: (-30988, 'DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not
    >> found')
    >> I cannot start the program anymore.
    >>
    >> maybe it has something to to with shortcuts.dat.
    >> (I don't know).

    >No I don't think it is related to the shortcuts, it seems that
    >your articles db is corrupted, it got broken when the application has
    >been closed not in the right way.

    Aha. I try again any further.
    --
    Franz Steinhaeusler

    Franz Steinhäusler, Sep 16, 2006
  14. Re: XPN 0.6.5 released

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 17:43:28 GMT, Nemesis <>
    wrote:

    >Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhäusler" scriveva:
    >
    >> Ah, great. I changed, this was not working immediatly.
    >> So I remembered, most often you have to restart the App, and so its is
    >> working.

    >Here is working fine.

    I am on windows, is there maybe a difference (?).

    >> Small Notice: There was the warning then: Another Instance is running,
    >> I pressed yes.

    >XPN uses the file xpn.lock to see if there is another istance running,
    >if the program is not closed correctly it doesn't remove this file so
    >you get the warning.

    I see.

    >>>that's an optimization I've thinking about for a while ... but at the
    >>>moment I don't know how to implement it.

    >> I see, you have to remember after refreshing the list the position and
    >> the state of the folding. I can imagine, this is not trivial.

    >That's right. You should also remember the open/closed threads ... at
    >least the one with the article selected.

    Anyway, not soo important.

    >> I'm sure, I will discover some more useful things about your program!
    >> In some cases, it already beats forte agent!

    >Thank you. Agent is (was) a great software I've been using it for a long
    >time.

    Cool, we have both an equal starting-point. ;)

    >> Some remarks:

    >> * threads are somtimes not assigned correctly, this means, that
    >> one thread is divided into two.
    >> I subscribed to wxPyhton mailing list in gmane, and there is:
    >> One thread
    >> Applications written in wxPyhton
    >> and another
    >> RE: Applications written in wxPyhton

    >threading is based on the References header and then on the subject, you
    >can have problems with mailing-lists cause mail-agents sometimes do not
    >produce the References header but only the In-Reply-To.
    >Another problem could be the date, before building the threads XPN
    >reorders the articles by date ... but if the date in the article is
    >wrong it can confuse the threads.

    Aha, I don't understand all the details anyway, in Forte the same
    thread was ordered in.

    >> but this (is) or should be *one* thread.

    >Yes.
    >
    >> * the enter key is not working in some dialogs (for example in search)
    >> and Esc to cancel the dialog. (or is that a gkt issue?)

    >It's a focus issue, in the search dialog the focus is set on the entry.
    >The Esc key is not binded to any button by default.

    That would be convenient, pressing "Enter" to perform the awaited
    process and cancel to abandon the dialogue.

    >> * the find dialog is sometimes not working

    >What exactly is not working?

    Sorry, I think, I have made an error myself. That means I typed the
    search string in "From", where I excpeted to look for headers search.

    >> * to mark more than one article at one time (to be able to mark
    >> multiple articles at one as read, ...)

    >Yes but selecting more then one article introduces some difficulties I
    >preferred to avoid for the moment ;-)

    Ok.

    If you don't mind, I will make a thorough test :)
    I don't want to bother more than necessary.
    I want to make it happen, that XPN will be my "default" Newsreader!!!

    Many thanks again for your answers and this wonderful piece of
    sofware!

    --
    Franz Steinhaeusler

    Franz Steinhäusler, Sep 16, 2006
  15. Nemesis

    Nemesis Guest

    Re: XPN 0.6.5 released

    Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhäusler" scriveva:

    >>> For the find, I personally would prefer to jump default to "body",
    >>> but this is of course a matter of taste.

    >>Do you mean you would like the focus to be set on the "body" search
    >>field?

    > Yes, that I meant.

    OK .. then it's a matter of taste ;-)

    >>I don't know how "CTRL+break" interact with XPN, it's better to close it
    >>with its exit function "CTRL+E".

    > Because it hanged. The dos prompt didn't return, so I have to
    > type ctrl-c or ctrl-break to get the prompt back.

    Ah, maybe it was still purging the groups, did you have groups with lots
    of articles?

    --
    "Di Vaio fa fuori Bonomi e spara". (Pierpaolo Cattozzi)

    Nemesis, Sep 17, 2006
  16. Nemesis

    Nemesis Guest

    Re: XPN 0.6.5 released

    Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhäusler" scriveva:

    >>> Ah, great. I changed, this was not working immediatly.
    >>> So I remembered, most often you have to restart the App, and so its is
    >>> working.

    >>Here is working fine.

    > I am on windows, is there maybe a difference (?).

    I don't think so, I use XPN alo on Win2000 and WinXP and this shortcut
    works fine on Windows too.

    [threading]
    > Aha, I don't understand all the details anyway, in Forte the same
    > thread was ordered in.

    The References header contains the Message-id of the article as they
    appear in the thread, the last message-id in the references field is the
    message-id of the parent article.
    In-Reply-To is similar ... but it contains only the message-id of the
    parent article, it is not a standard usenet header it is used by
    mail-agents.
    I use only References to build threads ... maybe Agent uses also
    In-Reply-To.

    >>It's a focus issue, in the search dialog the focus is set on the entry.
    >>The Esc key is not binded to any button by default.

    > That would be convenient, pressing "Enter" to perform the awaited
    > process and cancel to abandon the dialogue.

    But in the search dialog before you start the search you have to write
    what you are searching ... so the software must be set on the entry.

    > If you don't mind, I will make a thorough test :)
    > I don't want to bother more than necessary.
    > I want to make it happen, that XPN will be my "default" Newsreader!!!
    > Many thanks again for your answers and this wonderful piece of
    > sofware!

    Thank you for your suggestions.

    --
    A user and his leisure time are soon parted.

    Nemesis, Sep 17, 2006
  17. Re: XPN 0.6.5 released

    Nemesis wrote:

    Hello Nemesis,

    this I post with XPN! ;)

    > Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhäusler" scriveva:

    >>>Here is working fine.

    >> I am on windows, is there maybe a difference (?).

    > I don't think so, I use XPN alo on Win2000 and WinXP and this shortcut
    > works fine on Windows too.

    Ok.

    > [threading]
    >> Aha, I don't understand all the details anyway, in Forte the same
    >> thread was ordered in.

    > The References header contains the Message-id of the article as they
    > appear in the thread, the last message-id in the references field is the
    > message-id of the parent article.
    > In-Reply-To is similar ... but it contains only the message-id of the
    > parent article, it is not a standard usenet header it is used by
    > mail-agents.
    > I use only References to build threads ... maybe Agent uses also
    > In-Reply-To.

    Ok.

    >>>It's a focus issue, in the search dialog the focus is set on the entry.
    >>>The Esc key is not binded to any button by default.

    >> That would be convenient, pressing "Enter" to perform the awaited
    >> process and cancel to abandon the dialogue.

    > But in the search dialog before you start the search you have to write
    > what you are searching ... so the software must be set on the entry.

    Ack.

    >> If you don't mind, I will make a thorough test :)
    >> I don't want to bother more than necessary.
    >> I want to make it happen, that XPN will be my "default" Newsreader!!!
    >> Many thanks again for your answers and this wonderful piece of
    >> sofware!

    > Thank you for your suggestions.

    you'r welcome.

    Again a few points! ;)

    I managed it to get it run again. ;)

    My next try was a second newsserver.
    (It would be nice to have it in one installation,
    but priority is not so high)

    I have XPN in one directorry (for my default newsserver)
    and I installed XPN in a second directory for Gmane.

    --

    A user defineable Title bar as in Agent would be good.
    (Then I could name the first instance "My News" or so, and the

    --

    I find it useful in every program to have accelerator keys for
    buttons, radio boxes, ...; this means for example the underscor letter

    --

    The line spacing (vertically) in the header is a little higher than in wxPython programs
    or also in Forte agent. I suspect, this is a "feature" in PyGtk.

    --

    Is Saving attachments possible? I didn't see a menu point, nor are the threads
    are marked, having an attachment.

    --
    An option to set X-No Archive default in the subscribed groups would be nice.

    --

    Only an open thought:

    I (am/was) a member of the python editor DrPython written in wxPython.
    (Project is on the sourceforge page).
    I contributed some plugins for that, and I like the idea very much.
    The core of the program remains relativly small, and all the users can
    extend the program.
    The author do not have to fulfil all feature requests in the core,
    and can tell the users to extend the functionality with a plugin
    himself, or can assist him.
    And aside from writing plugins, I enjoyed.
    We have an repository of the plugins and there are far more than 10 available.
    Would such an idea make sense for XPN?

    XPN seems pretty stable and I enjoy this program more and more!

    Cheers,

    --
    Franz Steinhaeusler

    Franz Steinhaeusler, Sep 17, 2006
  18. Re: XPN 0.6.5 released

    Franz Steinhaeusler wrote:

    > A user defineable Title bar as in Agent would be good.
    > (Then I could name the first instance "My News" or so, and the
    > second one "Gmane". So easier navigating in Windows and also
    > the tips in the task bar could be helpful for that.

    Sorry, I repost this, because I accidentially inserted
    Signatur headers ("--") to split the points, so again:

    Franz Steinhaeusler, Sep 17, 2006
  19. Nemesis

    Nemesis Guest

    Re: XPN 0.6.5 released

    Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhaeusler"
    scriveva:

    > Hello Nemesis,
    >

    > this I post with XPN! ;)

    Good :)

    > My next try was a second newsserver.
    > (It would be nice to have it in one installation,
    > but priority is not so high)
    >
    > I have XPN in one directorry (for my default newsserver)
    > and I installed XPN in a second directory for Gmane.

    It is not necessary, if you are using the source version (and since we
    are on comp.lang.python I think so) you can use the command line option
    -c

    python xpn.py -c your_dir

    and XPN will store its configs and data in this directory.

    > A user defineable Title bar as in Agent would be good.
    > (Then I could name the first instance "My News" or so, and the
    > second one "Gmane". So easier navigating in Windows and also
    > the tips in the task bar could be helpful for that.

    you can tweak the code if you want ;-)
    the file is xpn.py

    > The line spacing (vertically) in the header is a little higher than in
    > wxPython programs or also in Forte agent. I suspect, this is a
    > "feature" in PyGtk. narrower lines would display more headers, this
    > means more headers would be visible at once.

    but maybe the view will be a little more messed ... anyway I'm not sure
    I can change the size, maybe it depends on the font size.

    > Is Saving attachments possible? I didn't see a menu point, nor are the threads
    > are marked, having an attachment.

    no, XPN is definitively text-oriented. I'm not supporting attachments in
    any way.

    > An option to set X-No Archive default in the subscribed groups would be
    > nice.

    I don't like X-No-Archive ... but anyway you can set you custome header
    to be used in every post you send in the Config Window (Posting tab)

    Only an open thought:

    [plugins]
    > Would such an idea make sense for XPN?

    yes but I should implement in some way the plugin support ... and I
    don't know how to do it.

    > XPN seems pretty stable and I enjoy this program more and more!

    thank you very much.

    --
    "Se dovessi rinascere, farei l'idraulico." (Albert Einstein)

    Nemesis, Sep 17, 2006
  20. Re: XPN 0.6.5 released

    Nemesis wrote:

    > Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhaeusler"
    > scriveva:
    >
    >> Hello Nemesis,
    >>

    >> this I post with XPN! ;)

    > Good :)

    Yes, it is working fine. I also find the different coloring
    between quoting first and second level very clear-presented. ;)

    >> My next try was a second newsserver.
    >> (It would be nice to have it in one installation,
    >> but priority is not so high)
    >>
    >> I have XPN in one directorry (for my default newsserver)
    >> and I installed XPN in a second directory for Gmane.

    > It is not necessary, if you are using the source version (and since we
    > are on comp.lang.python I think so) you can use the command line option
    > -c
    >
    > python xpn.py -c your_dir
    >
    > and XPN will store its configs and data in this directory.

    Great! I'll check.

    >> A user defineable Title bar as in Agent would be good.
    >> (Then I could name the first instance "My News" or so, and the
    >> second one "Gmane". So easier navigating in Windows and also
    >> the tips in the task bar could be helpful for that.

    > you can tweak the code if you want ;-)
    > the file is xpn.py

    I see.

    >> The line spacing (vertically) in the header is a little higher than in
    >> wxPython programs or also in Forte agent. I suspect, this is a
    >> "feature" in PyGtk. narrower lines would display more headers, this
    >> means more headers would be visible at once.

    > but maybe the view will be a little more messed ... anyway I'm not sure
    > I can change the size, maybe it depends on the font size.

    You could try it, and decide if this will look better, but I don't
    think, it is doable (I saw this big line spacing also on atol, the gtk
    file manager on sourceforge written in gtk and C++).

    >> Is Saving attachments possible? I didn't see a menu point, nor are the threads
    >> are marked, having an attachment.

    > no, XPN is definitively text-oriented. I'm not supporting attachments in
    > any way.

    The matter is, for example in wxPython mailing list, mirrored on gmane,
    many attachments (source code samples) are delivered with attachments,
    and this would be cool. But all the same... (maybe I apply a patch
    some time in the next years...) :)

    >> An option to set X-No Archive default in the subscribed groups would be
    >> nice.

    > I don't like X-No-Archive ... but anyway you can set you custome header
    > to be used in every post you send in the Config Window (Posting tab)

    Ok.

    > Only an open thought:
    >
    > [plugins]
    >> Would such an idea make sense for XPN?

    > yes but I should implement in some way the plugin support ... and I
    > don't know how to do it.

    Not so important, and not urgent, only an idea, got from DrPython! :)

    >> XPN seems pretty stable and I enjoy this program more and more!

    > thank you very much.

    you're welcome and keep the good work!

    --
    Franz Steinhaeusler