[ANN]XRuby compiler 0.1.0 released

Xueyong Zhi

I am glad to announce the release XRuby 0.1.0 , a ruby compiler which
compiles ruby script (.rb) to java bytecode (.class). You can download
it from here: http://code.google.com/p/xruby/downloads/list

XRuby 0.1.0 is the first release of XRuby. It is able to pass all tests
in samples/test.rb - a decent test suite that comes with ruby
installation.

As a compiler, XRuby compiles ruby source code so that your program can
run on top of Java Virtual Machine. For example, if you have a ruby
script like this:

class MyClass
def say_hello_three_times
3.times {puts "hello"}
end
end

MyClass.new.say_hello_three_times

You can compile it with XRuby (assuming its name is test.rb):
java -jar xruby-0.1.0.jar -c test.rb

The compiler will generate a test.jar. It can be launched as a regular
java application, with the following command:
java -jar test.jar
hello
hello
hello

For your convenience, you can also run the script directly (without -c
option), just like the classic ruby interpreter. Under the hood it
compiles the script then run the bytecode:
java -jar xruby-0.1.0.jar test.rb
hello
hello
hello

While little known, this project has been under active development for
one year and eight months. I started the project around mid 2005, and it
took me about eight months to write a ruby parser with Antlr, and then
one year to implement the compiler and runtime. Some people joined me
during the second half of 2006 and made great contribution. It is just
the beginning of an exciting journey.

We still have a long way to go before claiming XRuby is a very competent
alternative implementation of ruby. And comparing with our peers we lag
behind in implementing ruby's built-in libraries and do not have
Ruby-Java bridge. Our next focus is to improve this situation and make
major ruby libraries and framework work under XRuby. And we hope by end
of 2007 you can use XRuby to compile your Ruby On Rails application to a
war file and run it directly on a J2EE server.

We appreciate your feedback. Our development maillist is at:
http://groups.google.com/group/xruby-devel. The team blog is at
http://xruby.blogspot.com

Thank you and have fun.

Lyle Johnson

While little known, this project has been under active development for
one year and eight months. I started the project around mid 2005, ...

I am impressed that you have the compiler working, but I guess the big
question is why you started this project instead of joining and
contributing to the JRuby project. Can you address that?

Avdi Grimm

I am impressed that you have the compiler working, but I guess the big
question is why you started this project instead of joining and
contributing to the JRuby project. Can you address that?

Diversity is good?

Xue Yong Zhi

Lyle said:
I am impressed that you have the compiler working, but I guess the big
question is why you started this project instead of joining and
contributing to the JRuby project. Can you address that?

When I started the project at that time, there is no ruby compiler
exists (Ruby.NET become the first in early 2006), and JRuby was not is
as exciting as it is now:)