ANN: xsdbXML release with C#/.NET port

Discussion in 'XML' started by aaronwmail-usenet@yahoo.com, Mar 1, 2005.

  1. Guest

    ANN: xsdbXML release with C#/.NET port

    Part I: Announcement
    ====================
    There is a new release of xsdbXML which provides
    bugfixes to the Python implementation and also
    provides a completely separate implementation in C#/.NET.

    The xsdb framework provides a flexible and well defined
    infrastructure to allow tabular data to be published,
    retrieved, and combined over the Internet.

    Read more and download at
    http://xsdb.sourceforge.net

    Part II: Discussion
    ===================
    The C# implementation is primarily a transliteration
    of the Python implementation. I hope to also do a java
    transliteration of the C# code. Some brief observations:

    - Development:
    Using python for the first implementation was the
    right way to go because it made it easier to backtrack
    and refactor the implementation. If I had tried this
    in C# backtracking would have been much more painful.
    Testing Python code, especially during development, is also
    much easier in part because you can write
    {"a": [1,2,3], "b": MyClass("argument")}
    in a few keystrokes whereas a C# analogue runs to many
    lines.
    Interestingly, however, the C# port exposed several
    nasty bugs in untested code paths of the python
    implementation (incorrect calling sequences) because of C#
    static typing, even before the C# code was running or
    even compiling.
    For the most part the transliteration was
    straightforward, except where the python implementation
    leans on the python expression parser (the parser had
    to be "hand rolled" in C#).

    - Libraries:

    The python http services are more "bare bones" than the
    ..NET libraries and this is a *GOOD* *THING* (tm). The
    ..NET libraries seem to do all kinds of nice things under
    the surface where I can't influence their behavior (even
    in principal because of the type system information hiding).
    The python implementation pretty much allows me to
    modify any part of the implementation, and the default does
    as little as possible. My reservations about the C# http
    services didn't actually cause problems in this case, but
    it made me nervous.

    On the other hand it's nice in C# to not have to guess about
    which XML library to use. As any python programmer can
    attest it is not fun trying to decide which of several
    implementations is the best and will stay alive, etcetera.
    I just arbitrarily chose the one I knew already, but I
    really should switch to something else, dunno what.
    In C# there is only one choice.

    - Environment

    What can I say. VS/.NET is really nice and there is
    nothing close in Python AFAIK.

    - Conclusion

    Don't have any. I'm just making comments :).

    Thanks for your attention -- Aaron Watters

    ===
    % if I had a ( for every $ bush spent how many ('s would I have?
    too many ('s
    , Mar 1, 2005

  2. paron Guest

    Hello, Aaron

    Nice work! (I think). The examples make xsdb look pretty slick. Where
    are you headed with it? Is it a one-off, a hobby, a new standard, or
    just a how-about-that?

    I see that I can get <nothing/> as a response to a query; how about as
    a value in a table? I wasn't quite sure that I could find an example of
    a "null" in any of the examples on the Sourceforge homepage -- is it
    possible? undesirable?

    Finally, I couldn't find any .cs files in the download -- did I get the
    wrong package?

    Still, very intriguing work, regardless of the answers.

    Ron Phillips
    paron, Mar 2, 2005

    sourceforge glitch Re: ANN: xsdbXML release with C#/.NET port

    Yikes! Ron pointed out below that sourceforge was uploading
    the wrong file. This was some sort of sourceforge bug because
    the download page reported the correct filesize but downloaded
    a smaller file. I *think* it's fixed now. He writes below.

    paron wrote:
    > Hello, Aaron
    >
    > Nice work! (I think). The examples make xsdb look pretty slick. Where
    > are you headed with it? Is it a one-off, a hobby, a new standard, or
    > just a how-about-that?

    Depends on the delusions of grandeur quotient of the moment.
    It's at least a way to keep my brain from turning into a cabbage,
    and I'm going to try to get other people interested too.

    > I see that I can get <nothing/> as a response to a query; how about

    as
    > a value in a table? I wasn't quite sure that I could find an example

    of
    > a "null" in any of the examples on the Sourceforge homepage -- is it
    > possible? undesirable?

    If an attribute is missing in a table then that is an "unknown"
    null value. Aggregate values can also have a "no value" nothing

    > Finally, I couldn't find any .cs files in the download -- did I get

    the
    > wrong package?

    See above. Aarrgh.

    > Still, very intriguing work, regardless of the answers.

    Thank! -- Aaron Watters
    , Mar 2, 2005
  4. paron Guest

    Re: sourceforge glitch Re: ANN: xsdbXML release with C#/.NET port

    I <strong>really</strong> like having distinct "unknown" and "no value"
    nulls defined as a part of the db.

    I'm going to have a play with the .cs classes -- they downloaded this
    time, no problem.

    Ron
    paron, Mar 2, 2005