ANN: xtopdf: PDF creation / conversion toolkit: alpha release of v1.3

vasudevram

Hi group,

ANN: xtopdf: PDF creation / conversion toolkit: alpha release of v1.3

This is actually a somewhat preliminary announcement, but may be of
interest to developers / users who know Python and/or have earlier
checked out my xtopdf PDF creation / conversion toolkit (
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtopdf):

I've released (via my own web site, not yet properly
packaged/documented
and put on the SourceForge site, that will be done in some days), the
next version of xtopdf: v1.3. This version adds support for conversion
of CSV, TDV (Tab Delimited Values) and XLS (limited support) to PDF.
v1.3 also adds some GUI tools written using wxPython (v1.0 had only
command-line tools and a library for developers).

Users/developers will need to install wxPython and properly configure
it to work with their Python installation before they can use these GUI
tools. This is fairly straightforward on Windows using the .MSI or .EXE
(can't remember which it is right now) installer for wxPython, but on
Linux, you'll need to know how to handle the tools that are used to
build packages from source code, i.e. make, configure, etc. Also,
wxPython is a medium-sized package - it took around an hour or two to
fully build on my reasonably fast PC. So be patient (get yourself a
coffee or two, or do something else in another Linux console / window
while wxPython builds :)

Those who know even basic Python should be able to install and run both
xtopdf v1.0 and the new stuff in v1.3, at least for the command-line
tools (the programs are quite simple).

Main SourceForge site for xtopdf v1.0:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtopdf

URL for xtopdf v1.3 on my web site:
http://www.dancingbison.com/xtopdf-1.3.zip

URL for xtopdf v1.0 on my web site:
http://www.dancingbison.com/xtopdf-1.0.tar.gz

wxPython site:
http://wxpython.org

xtopdf requires both Python and the open source version of the
ReportLab toolkit.

ReportLab site:
http://www.reportlab.org
xtopdf was developed using ReportLab v1.17, should work with all v1.x,
may or may not work (not tested yet) with v2.x.

More details (for Windows) are available in a guide here:
http://itext.ugent.be/library/question.php?id=41

I'd appreciate any feedback, about bugs (v1.3 is tested but not a lot
yet, that will be done in next some days), or how / what for anyone is
using
it.

Apart from the "proper" packaging/documenting and upload to SourceForge
(and my web site), I shall be writing and posting more about how to use
it, etc. in the coming days.

Enjoy, and
Thanks
Vasudev