ANN: y4m - Python video editing framework

Discussion in 'Python' started by DavidM, Sep 30, 2007.

  1. DavidM

    DavidM Guest

    Hi all,

    Just a quick message to announce the latest release (v0.1.1) of the
    'y4m' framework. www.freenet.org.nz/y4m

    What is 'y4m'?

    y4m is a python framework for manipulating yuv4mpeg video streams.

    Young but growing rapidly.

    It offers an intuitive Python API for:

    - opening yuv4mpeg streams for reading from stdin or a file (or
    auto-converting from any other video format ffmpeg can cope with)

    - opening yuv4mpeg streams for writing to stdout or a file (or
    autoconverting to any other video format ffmpeg can handle)

    - reading/changing stream and frame attributes

    - manipulating frames at any level - as rows/columns, or as pixels,
    or as Y,Cb,Cr planes

    - performing basic editing operations, such as:
    - scaling
    - cropping
    - clipping (eg taking 15 secs of a stream after the first minute)
    - flipping
    - overlaying
    - cross-fading (also known as 'dissolve')
    - transparency
    - polygon fill
    - arbitrary rotation

    - simple keyframe interpolation

    It also features a plugin architecture, whereby you can overcome the
    performance penalties of python by invoking fast plugins written in C.

    The plugin interface offers a simple and powerful framework to support
    writing your own plugins easily, and comes with several working example
    plugins).

    y4m is a toolkit you can use for writing your own yuv4mpeg stdio
    filters, or even building your own video editing software.

    y4m is still in alpha, but works quite well on 32-bit architecture.

    (I can't guarantee it on 64-bit just yet - at least not till I've pulled
    out all the remaining (sizeof)int==(sizeof)(*) assumptions. Anyone with
    64-bit architecture is welcome to try it - I'd love to hear how you get
    on with it.)

    All feedback, suggestions, patches, bouquets, brickbats etc welcome.

    Cheers
    David

    DavidM, Sep 30, 2007