ANN: y4m - Python video editing framework

DavidM

Hi all,

Just a quick message to announce the latest release (v0.1.1) of the
'y4m' framework. www.freenet.org.nz/y4m

What is 'y4m'?

y4m is a python framework for manipulating yuv4mpeg video streams.

Young but growing rapidly.

It offers an intuitive Python API for:

- opening yuv4mpeg streams for reading from stdin or a file (or
auto-converting from any other video format ffmpeg can cope with)

- opening yuv4mpeg streams for writing to stdout or a file (or
autoconverting to any other video format ffmpeg can handle)

- reading/changing stream and frame attributes

- manipulating frames at any level - as rows/columns, or as pixels,
or as Y,Cb,Cr planes

- performing basic editing operations, such as:
- scaling
- cropping
- clipping (eg taking 15 secs of a stream after the first minute)
- flipping
- overlaying
- cross-fading (also known as 'dissolve')
- transparency
- polygon fill
- arbitrary rotation

- simple keyframe interpolation

It also features a plugin architecture, whereby you can overcome the
performance penalties of python by invoking fast plugins written in C.

The plugin interface offers a simple and powerful framework to support
writing your own plugins easily, and comes with several working example
plugins).

y4m is a toolkit you can use for writing your own yuv4mpeg stdio
filters, or even building your own video editing software.

y4m is still in alpha, but works quite well on 32-bit architecture.

(I can't guarantee it on 64-bit just yet - at least not till I've pulled
out all the remaining (sizeof)int==(sizeof)(*) assumptions. Anyone with
64-bit architecture is welcome to try it - I'd love to hear how you get
on with it.)

All feedback, suggestions, patches, bouquets, brickbats etc welcome.

Cheers
David