ANN: yawPyCrypto 0.1 and Flatten 0.2

Heiko Wundram

yawPyCrypto
-----------

yawPyCrypto is "yet another wrapper" for the PyCrypto library written by
Andrew M. Kuchling and others. It aims at more complete support for the
whole range of cryptographic functionality available in PyCrypto, while
still offering an easy to use interface.

There has been quite a jump from version 0.0alpha4, which was the last
version I posted, to version 0.1. There have been major code cleanups,
factorizations, and other important changes. The strong points of
yawPyCrypto at the moment are:

1. Full support for the public key ciphers of PyCrypto in a single
class.
2. Full support for all cipher algorithms of PyCrypto in a single class,
which allow for stream encryption using block ciphers.
3. Fully and easily extensible with user functionality through a plugin
interface (which isn't documented yet).

What's still missing from the functionality that was present in
0.0alpha4 but isn't cleaned up yet:

1. Full support for GPG-like stream encryption using block ciphers with
session keys (session key support is present in the crypto cipher
classes, but the stream format of a GPG-like stream needs cleaning up).

The last point will be cleaned up in a maintenance release in about
three days.

yawPyCrypto now depends on

Flatten
-------

A Python serialization library which aims at offering a secure pickling
algorithm, especially well suited for network transport of data. This
library offers a few other gimmicks which I found no other serializer
could offer me, such as a unique way of reconstructing stored instances
with type-checking of operands implemented directly in the serialization
code.

Flatten 0.2 is basically a maintenance release which supersedes Flatten
0.1, which was released about a month ago. The functionality has not
been changed, except that a little bug concerning the handling of None
in pickles was fixed, and finally the package comes with a distutils
script.

Author: Heiko Wundram <[email protected]>