[ANN] ZenTest 3.1.0 Released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ryan Davis, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. Ryan Davis

    Ryan Davis Guest

    ZenTest version 3.1.0 has been released!

    http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/ZenTest/

    == DESCRIPTION

    ZenTest provides 4 different tools: zentest, unit_diff, autotest,
    and multiruby.

    ZenTest scans your target and unit-test code and writes your missing
    code based on simple naming rules, enabling XP at a much quicker
    pace. ZenTest only works with Ruby and Test::Unit.

    unit_diff is a command-line filter to diff expected results from
    actual results and allow you to quickly see exactly what is wrong.

    autotest is a continous testing facility meant to be used during
    development. As soon as you save a file, autotest will run the
    corresponding dependent tests.

    multiruby runs anything you want on multiple versions of ruby. Great
    for compatibility checking!

    There are two strategies intended for ZenTest: test conformance
    auditing and rapid XP.

    For auditing, ZenTest provides an excellent means of finding methods
    that have slipped through the testing process. I've run it against my
    own software and found I missed a lot in a well tested
    package. Writing those tests found 4 bugs I had no idea existed.

    ZenTest can also be used to evaluate generated code and execute your
    tests, allowing for very rapid development of both tests and
    implementation.

    == FEATURES/PROBLEMS

    * Scans your ruby code and tests and generates missing methods for you.
    * Includes a very helpful filter for Test::Unit output called unit_diff.
    * Continually and intelligently test only those files you change with
    autotest.
    * Test against multiple versions with multiruby.
    - Not the best doco in the world (my fault)
    * Includes a LinuxJournal article on testing with ZenTest written by
    Pat Eyler.
    * See also: http://blog.zenspider.com/archives/zentest/

    http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/ZenTest/

    Changes:

    + 2 major enhancements
    + Added multiruby! YAY!
    + Massive improvements to autotest: speed, reliability, reporting, etc.
    + 10 minor enhancements
    + multiruby builds in a centralized location. YAY!
    + multiruby now allows reinstalls quickly and easily (can even skip
    config).
    + multiruby exits with total sum of exit codes.
    + autotest file search is muuuuch faster.
    + autotest automatically detects rails mode.
    + autotest deals with rails dependencies much better.
    + autotest reruns a full suite after you go green to ensure full
    coverage.
    + autotest always runs with unit_diff -u.
    + autotest can now run cvs/svn/p4 up periodically to be a mini-
    tinderbox.
    + autotest now has real help.
    + 4 bug fixes
    - ZenTest is now zentest. Yay for consistency! (do a rake uninstall
    to clean)
    - ZenTest excludes pretty_print methods.
    - Fixed unary operator issues (they were backwards... oops!) for
    ZenTest.
    - unit_diff now runs diff.exe on Windoze. dunno if that will work.

    http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/ZenTest/

    --
    _why: zenspider's most intense moments of solice are immediately
    following the slaughter [...]
    Ryan Davis, Mar 29, 2006

  2. Ryan Davis

    Guest

    Re: ZenTest 3.1.0 Released

    Sounds excellent!

    A few things which I would really like:
    1. When a test fails, hyperlink the output to the line of code in the
    source (somehow - not sure how this could be implemented), or at least
    print out the relevant line of the source.

    2. Print out the last few lines of the log as well (maybe proxy logger
    - I actually wrote some code to do this).

    3. Do the above with color coding, where avaible.

    4. Add a system tray icon with a green, red, or gray (in process of
    running) light. (Although I know of no cross OS way to do this.)
    , Mar 30, 2006