Annotate a floor plan

John Baima

I need to annotate a large store floor plan. I have the floor plans as
images, and I was wondering if there is any software available which
would allow me to quickly and easily create hot-spots and then
superimpose text over those hot spots. And then I need to print the
beast. Are there any commercial packages that do something like this?
Thanks!

-John Baima

Mark Rae

I did not think about using Visio in an ASP.NET 2 web page. Are there
examples of that?

Apologies - you didn't mention you needed to do this in ASP.NET, though I
could have assumed that from the fact that you posted in an ASP.NET
newsgroup...

Therefore, please ignore my previous message...

clintonG

John,

I have a background in CAD. Your floorplans are probably being drafted using
an Autodesk product or another CAD program that can export a DWG or DXF
file. The point is, you should probably be using the DWF (Drawing Web
Format) which is a vector graphics file format developed by Autodesk. There
is a DWF SDK that supports .NET. You should look into the use of DWF as it
also supports PDF for printing and makes it possible to distribute the
floorplans via the web for drawing and collaboration.

The point is, you should be working with a strategy that is specific to the
actual task and the actual objective rather than try to use an old and
outdated product such as Visio to try to force fit a round peg into a square
hole. Visio is a dead-end product in this context. If the use of CAD, vector
graphics or floorplanning is a fundamental aspect of your work you have to
get into what Autodesk has released.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
MAP http://wikimapia.org/#y=43038073&x=-88043838&z=17&l=0&m=h

John Baima

The Autodesk solution looks promising. They have a sample application
that is a lot like what I need but I have not been able to obtain the
DWF drawing yet so that project is on hold for me for a few days.

-John