[ANNOUNCE] Berkeley DB XML 2.1.7

Gregory Burd

Sleepycat Software is pleased to announce:

Berkeley DB XML 2.1.7
http://www.sleepycat.com/products/xml.shtml

In this release we have improved overall product stability and made it
much easier to get acquainted with Berkeley DB XML. This version is the
first to be delivered as pre-compiled binaries within an automated
Windows installer. If you're a Windows developer, you no longer have to
compile the source code yourself. We've done that for you. The source
is still included with the product as always, but now the binaries are
there too.

Once you have the download installed, you should review a new document:
"Introducing Berkeley DB XML". Follow along as we guide you through the
basics of the product. Whereas the "Getting Started Guide" is targeted
at the developer starting a project, this new document is written for
those new to the Berkeley DB XML product, or new to native XML databases
in general. The combination of the installer and the new introduction
significantly reduces the time it takes to get to know Berkeley DB XML.

Beyond ease of installation and new documentation, we have been hard at
work improving the code since the 2.0 release. Quite a large number of
users started interesting XML projects with Berkeley DB XML 2.0; using
their feedback, in 2.1 we've worked hard to improve upon some common themes.

Finally, the command line interface to Berkeley DB XML has been enhanced
and renamed from 'dbxml_shell' to simply 'dbxml'. This command line
interface is a great place to prototype projects and to examine queries
and indices before committing them to code.

The important new features and benefits of Berkeley DB XML 2.1.7 include:

1. Windows binary installer
2. New "Introduction to Berkeley DB XML" PDF
3. Updated Perl API
4. Updated command line shell, 'dbxml'
5. Many bug fixes and enhancements

To see the change log for version 2.1.7, please visit:

http://www.sleepycat.com/xml_update/2.1.7/if.2.1.7.html

For information about the upgrade requirements for 2.1.7, please see:

http://www.sleepycat.com/xml_update/2.1.7/relnote.2.1.7.html

About Berkeley DB XML

Berkeley DB XML is a native XML database engine for use within your
product. Made available as a C++ library with language bindings for
Java, Perl, Python, PHP and Tcl Berkeley DB XML integrates directly into
your application, it is not a standalone database server. Berkeley DB
XML provides XQuery access into a database of document containers. XML
documents are stored and indexed in their native format using Berkeley
DB as the transactional database engine. Berkeley DB XML is one of the
most sophisticated and reliable native XML database engine available today.

Licensing

Berkeley DB XML is an open source, dual-license product. For more
information on our license please read:

http://www.sleepycat.com/download/licensinginfo.shtml

For further information, please contact us at (e-mail address removed).

Support

Sleepycat Software offers a range of support offerings for both our
commercial and open source customers. If you need help during any stage
of development or into production, we have a support package to meet
your needs. Please take a moment to review our offerings at:

http://www.sleepycat.com/supports/index.shtml

As always, if you have technical questions, send email to:
(e-mail address removed) or post to the news group comp.databases.berkeley-db
(http://groups.google.com/groups?group=comp.databases.berkeley-db).

Blog

The developers of Berkeley DB XML will be routinely posting about BDB
XML on our product blog http://www.sleepycat.com/blogs/bdb-xml -- add
our RSS or ATOM feeds to your list of news sources and keep track with
the latest postings.

Sleepycat Newsletter

Finally, we are also about to begin electronic circulation of "The Cat's
Eye View", a Sleepycat Software newsletter. The newsletter will contain
tips and tricks from our engineering team, articles from our staff,
offers for our newest whitepapers and industry reports as well as timely
information about Sleepycat Software and its products. Find out where
and when you can meet the Sleepycat Team in person at conferences. To
sign up register at:

http://visitor.constantcontact.com/optin.jsp?m=1011365871104&ea=

Sleepycat's mission is to provide the fastest, most reliable and
scalable transactional databases for developers. Our products include:
** Berkeley DB - With over 200 million active deployments in use
today, it's hard to make it through the day without somehow
coming in contact with something that relies on Berkeley DB.
** Berkeley DB XML - A native XML database with an optimized
XQuery access layer built atop Berkeley DB.
** Berkeley DB Java Edition - A pure Java version of Berkeley DB.

If you're building a software product or system that requires dependable
data storage, you owe it to yourself to evaluate our software libraries.
Chances are one of our database engines will suit your needs.

regards,

-greg

Gregory Burd
Product Manager (e-mail address removed)
Sleepycat Software, Inc. http://www.sleepycat.com/