[ANNOUNCE] Berkeley DB XML 2.1.7

Discussion in 'XML' started by Gregory Burd, May 3, 2005.

  1. Gregory Burd

    Gregory Burd Guest

    Sleepycat Software is pleased to announce:

    Berkeley DB XML 2.1.7
    http://www.sleepycat.com/products/xml.shtml

    In this release we have improved overall product stability and made it
    much easier to get acquainted with Berkeley DB XML. This version is the
    first to be delivered as pre-compiled binaries within an automated
    Windows installer. If you're a Windows developer, you no longer have to
    compile the source code yourself. We've done that for you. The source
    is still included with the product as always, but now the binaries are
    there too.

    Once you have the download installed, you should review a new document:
    "Introducing Berkeley DB XML". Follow along as we guide you through the
    basics of the product. Whereas the "Getting Started Guide" is targeted
    at the developer starting a project, this new document is written for
    those new to the Berkeley DB XML product, or new to native XML databases
    in general. The combination of the installer and the new introduction
    significantly reduces the time it takes to get to know Berkeley DB XML.

    Beyond ease of installation and new documentation, we have been hard at
    work improving the code since the 2.0 release. Quite a large number of
    users started interesting XML projects with Berkeley DB XML 2.0; using
    their feedback, in 2.1 we've worked hard to improve upon some common themes.

    Finally, the command line interface to Berkeley DB XML has been enhanced
    and renamed from 'dbxml_shell' to simply 'dbxml'. This command line
    interface is a great place to prototype projects and to examine queries
    and indices before committing them to code.

    The important new features and benefits of Berkeley DB XML 2.1.7 include:

    1. Windows binary installer
    2. New "Introduction to Berkeley DB XML" PDF
    3. Updated Perl API
    4. Updated command line shell, 'dbxml'
    5. Many bug fixes and enhancements

    To see the change log for version 2.1.7, please visit:

    http://www.sleepycat.com/xml_update/2.1.7/if.2.1.7.html

    For information about the upgrade requirements for 2.1.7, please see:

    http://www.sleepycat.com/xml_update/2.1.7/relnote.2.1.7.html

    About Berkeley DB XML

    Berkeley DB XML is a native XML database engine for use within your
    product. Made available as a C++ library with language bindings for
    Java, Perl, Python, PHP and Tcl Berkeley DB XML integrates directly into
    your application, it is not a standalone database server. Berkeley DB
    XML provides XQuery access into a database of document containers. XML
    documents are stored and indexed in their native format using Berkeley
    DB as the transactional database engine. Berkeley DB XML is one of the
    most sophisticated and reliable native XML database engine available today.

    Licensing

    Berkeley DB XML is an open source, dual-license product. For more
    information on our license please read:

    http://www.sleepycat.com/download/licensinginfo.shtml

    For further information, please contact us at .

    Support

    Sleepycat Software offers a range of support offerings for both our
    commercial and open source customers. If you need help during any stage
    of development or into production, we have a support package to meet
    your needs. Please take a moment to review our offerings at:

    http://www.sleepycat.com/supports/index.shtml

    As always, if you have technical questions, send email to:
    or post to the news group comp.databases.berkeley-db
    (http://groups.google.com/groups?group=comp.databases.berkeley-db).

    Blog

    The developers of Berkeley DB XML will be routinely posting about BDB
    XML on our product blog http://www.sleepycat.com/blogs/bdb-xml -- add
    our RSS or ATOM feeds to your list of news sources and keep track with
    the latest postings.

    Sleepycat Newsletter

    Finally, we are also about to begin electronic circulation of "The Cat's
    Eye View", a Sleepycat Software newsletter. The newsletter will contain
    tips and tricks from our engineering team, articles from our staff,
    offers for our newest whitepapers and industry reports as well as timely
    information about Sleepycat Software and its products. Find out where
    and when you can meet the Sleepycat Team in person at conferences. To
    sign up register at:

    http://visitor.constantcontact.com/optin.jsp?m=1011365871104&ea=

    Sleepycat's mission is to provide the fastest, most reliable and
    scalable transactional databases for developers. Our products include:
    ** Berkeley DB - With over 200 million active deployments in use
    today, it's hard to make it through the day without somehow
    coming in contact with something that relies on Berkeley DB.
    ** Berkeley DB XML - A native XML database with an optimized
    XQuery access layer built atop Berkeley DB.
    ** Berkeley DB Java Edition - A pure Java version of Berkeley DB.

    If you're building a software product or system that requires dependable
    data storage, you owe it to yourself to evaluate our software libraries.
    Chances are one of our database engines will suit your needs.

    regards,

    -greg

    Gregory Burd
    Product Manager