ANNOUNCE: CGI::ContactForm 1.40

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

CGI::ContactForm is a module for generating web contact forms. It lets
you create an unlimited number of forms with a minimum of effort, and
makes it possible for e.g. web hosting providers to offer their
customers an easy way to set up a contact form.

Version 1.40 includes a feature that makes automated submissions by spam
robots more difficult, without the inconvenience of CAPTCHA. Also, since
some people don't like that a copy is sent to the submitted sender
address, an option has been added to not send sender copies.

http://search.cpan.org/src/GUNNAR/CGI-ContactForm-1.40/readme.html

Enjoy!

krakle

CGI::ContactForm is a module for generating web contact forms. It lets
you create an unlimited number of forms with a minimum of effort, and
makes it possible for e.g. web hosting providers to offer their
customers an easy way to set up a contact form.

Version 1.40 includes a feature that makes automated submissions by spam
robots more difficult, without the inconvenience of CAPTCHA. Also, since
some people don't like that a copy is sent to the submitted sender
address, an option has been added to not send sender copies.

http://search.cpan.org/src/GUNNAR/CGI-ContactForm-1.40/readme.html

Enjoy!

Gunnar you of all people should know that comp.lang.perl.misc isn't a
place to post announcements for crappy modules that noone will use...

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Gunnar you of all people should know that comp.lang.perl.misc isn't a
place to post announcements for crappy modules that noone will use...

So you think it's crappy? Then I look forward to your insightsful code
criticism.

Ric

Woah, have you seen those powerful form designers for example from 1and1 ?

So you think it's crappy? Then I look forward to your insightsful code
criticism.

Well the first thing I had in mind ->I can tell Contact Form to setup a
form with certain fields that I name. But after having a quick look at
the source I saw that this is not possible *LOL*.

This .pm is a great beginners tutorial, but that's it:)

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Ric said:
Woah, have you seen those powerful form designers for example from 1and1 ?

No, I must admit I haven't.
Well the first thing I had in mind ->I can tell Contact Form to setup a
form with certain fields that I name. But after having a quick look at
the source I saw that this is not possible *LOL*.

You are right. CGI::ContactForm is only for establishing contact, more
or less a replacement for mailto links. There are other modules that are
much more flexible and hence much more complicated to use, e.g.
CGI::FormBuilder.

I tried to not re-invent the wheel, and to my knowledge there is no Perl
module for building forms that beats CGI::ContactForm as regards simplicity.
This .pm is a great beginners tutorial, but that's it:)

Tutorial? I don't know about that... Sure, the code is at a beginner
level, what else could you expect from a beginner level programmer? :)

The users I have in mind are those who appreciate the convenience of
CGI::ContactForm, irrespective of their programming skill.

Thanks for your comments, Ric!

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Michele said:
I would amend your claim that clpmisc
is not a place to post announcements for modules at all, which makes
some sense because on the one hand that would raise the traffic, and
OTOH it would raise it too high. It would be better suited to
occasionally post about some(one's own) module if it were for a RFC or
if unsure about it, but that's only MHO...

I see your point, Michele. There is a group designated for
announcements, but unfortunately I'm not in a position to use it:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/msg/9da3b07a1dd62ee3

Randal L. Schwartz

Gunnar> I see your point, Michele. There is a group designated for
Gunnar> announcements, but unfortunately I'm not in a position to use it:
Gunnar> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/msg/9da3b07a1dd62ee3

Whine whine. All I ask is that you use an address for a posting that is a
valid email address that actually reaches a human. If you're not willing to
do that, you don't get to use the CLPA group. I have no sympathy for your
position on this.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Randal said:
Gunnar> I see your point, Michele. There is a group designated for
Gunnar> announcements, but unfortunately I'm not in a position to use it:
Gunnar> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/msg/9da3b07a1dd62ee3

Whine whine. All I ask is that you use an address for a posting that is a
valid email address that actually reaches a human.

Anybody who reads the (whole) message I linked to can see that that's
not true.
If you're not willing to do that,
???

you don't get to use the CLPA group. I have no sympathy for your position
on this.

The latter is perfectly clear to me.

Randal L. Schwartz

Gunnar> I see your point, Michele. There is a group designated for
Gunnar> announcements, but unfortunately I'm not in a position to use it:
Gunnar> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/msg/9da3b07a1dd62ee3
Gunnar> Anybody who reads the (whole) message I linked to can see that that's not true.

What part of it isn't true? I just replied to your address
and got this:

<[email protected]> is not a posting address, so the message "Re: ANNOUNCE:
CGI::ContactForm 1.40" was deleted and not read by anybody.

To contact me, please go to

http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl

The reason for this arrangement is to be spared spam to this publicly
displayed email address. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Therefore, there's no *human* at the address you wanted to use, then, or now.
And that's a violation of the CLPA policy.

Don't lie to the public.

krakle

criticism.

I find it useless. Because if you write a CGI odds are you DO know
HTML. And if you don't understand HTML and Forms then what the heck are
you doing writing a CGI...

ANYWAY, this is not the place to post announcements. You have been here
long enough to know better. I may of kept my mouth shut if this was a
MAJOR module announcement but this is just merely pointless basic crap
code for newbies. I wonder why you are so proud to display this module
as your flagship... I'd be embarrassed...

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

I find it useless. Because if you write a CGI odds are you DO know
HTML. And if you don't understand HTML and Forms then what the heck are
you doing writing a CGI...

Guess I have myself to blame for that, since I asked for your comments...

What would HTML knowledge have to do with inviting the world to send
mail using your own server? With CGI::ContactForm you can do so safely,
with a script as simple as:

#!/usr/bin/perl -T
use CGI::ContactForm;
contactform (
recname => 'John Smith',
recmail => '(e-mail address removed)',
);
__END__
ANYWAY, this is not the place to post announcements.

That topic is covered in another sub-thread.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Randal said:
Gunnar> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/msg/9da3b07a1dd62ee3

Gunnar> Anybody who reads the (whole) message I linked to can see that that's not true.

What part of it isn't true?

Everything. After some mail exchange, and as stated in the message I
linked to, at 22 February 2005 I let you know that I had created a fresh
email address[1], and posted an announcement from that address. You
didn't even bother to reply.

It appears as if you ask that I expose my _main_ address in the Usenet
archives. If that's the case, your demand is unreasonable.
Don't lie to the public.

That accusation recoils on yourself.

[1] It's not a working address any longer, so don't try to make a point
by posting to it now, 21 months later...

Mumia W. (reading news)

CGI::ContactForm is amodulefor generating web contact forms. It lets
you create an unlimited number of forms with a minimum of effort, and
makes it possible for e.g. web hosting providers to offer their
customers an easy way to set up a contact form.
Version 1.40 includes a feature that makes automated submissions by spam
robots more difficult, without the inconvenience of CAPTCHA. Also, since
some people don't like that a copy is sent to the submitted sender
address, an option has been added to not send sender copies.
Gunnar you of all people should know that comp.lang.perl.misc isn't a
place to post announcements for crappy modules that noone will use...
[ krakle's crappy quoting fixed ]
So you think it's crappy? Then I look forward to your insightsful code
criticism.

I find it useless. [...]

So what? The world does not revolve around you.
ANYWAY, this is not the place to post announcements. [...]

I have no problem with people posting announcements in here so long as
the subjects conform to ^ANNOUNCE:

I also have no problem with people creating CPAN modules for newbies.
I'd be embarrassed...

You ought to be. It's back into the twit filter for you krakle.

Gunnar, if you still want to stomach trying to post to a newsgroup
moderated by Randal Schwartz, create a yahoo account, set up appropriate
filters and provide proper instructions to potential respondents, such
as "include the string [CLPA] in the subject line to get a response."

The instructions would go into the announcement and into the module's
README file.

BTW, usenet is a mixture of moderated and unmoderated newsgroups for a
reason[0]. Alt.perl exists for a reason.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Mumia said:
Gunnar, if you still want to stomach trying to post to a newsgroup
moderated by Randal Schwartz,

I don't. I gave it up 21 months ago. Just wanted to give Michele an
explanation in another sub-thread.

Dr.Ruud

Gunnar Hjalmarsson schreef:
Randal L. Schwartz:

Anybody who reads the (whole) message I linked to can see that that's
not true.

What I see is that you didn't understand that you need to use an address
that *permanently* reaches a human. So not just once, for the moderator,
but also for other people, later on.

But later on, with what you called your fifth post, you seem to have
supplied a good address after all, so I don't understand either why that
didn't work out.