ANNOUNCE libmsgque 3.5, ANNOUNCE (P)rogramming (L)anguage (M)icro(K)ernel 1.0

Andreas Otto

Dear Users;

  this is the ANNOUNCEMENT of:

        libmsgque 3.5

  and the first public  ANNOUNCEMENT of the:

        (P)rogramming (L)anguage (M)icro(K)ernel 1.0

  libmsgque 3.5
=============

LibMsgque is an OS independent, programming language independent,
and hardware independent solution to link applications together to act like
a single application. In other words, LibMsgque is an application-server
toolkit.

  changes from libmsgque 3.5
=======================

- Add new programming language "C++" :
  The new language is added if the "--enable-cxx" configure switch is used.
- C++ add a new design pattern to libmsgque based on the language
requirements:
  1.  In "C++" a constructor can not call a "virtual" method. This is the
main
      difference between "C++" and "C#" or "JAVA". This require that
      "Object" creation/deletion and "Link" creation/deletion have to be
      separated into two different tasks. The former (C# and JAVA)
      implementation was to use a "feature-rich" constructor to setup a
     "Link" during object creation. This was changed.
      A new methods "LinkCreate(..)" and "LinkCreateChild(..)" were
      introduced for "Link" setup as counterpart for the "LinkDelete()"
      method. A new method "ConfigGetIsConnected()" return the "Link-Status"
      of the Object-Instance. With the new "Pattern" it is now possible to
      "reuse" a object-instance.
  2.  In "C++" a RTTI based Object-Creation is not possible. This task was
      shifted into a "Factory" pattern. A "virtual" method called:
                  "virtual MqC* Factory() const"
      is used to return a new object instance of the top-most class.
      The "Factory" pattern was used as "default" design pattern because of:
        - far more easy as the RTTI design pattern
        - available for every programming language
- change the default visibility for GCC functions to hidden "-
    fvisibility=hidden".
    -> This support the "Windows" binary design on Linux to create faster
        code.
- redesign of the main "struct MqS" and delete many of the data pointers
    -> create smarter and faster code
    -> only one pointer is used to used the entire API
- the "Filter" mode was redesigned and is using the "Master/Slave" pattern
    -> code cleanup and standardization
    -> the IFilterFTR / IFilterEOF does now support a "pipelining" as
       "default"
- the "Error" handling was redesigned and moved into an independent "object"
  or "class". This was necessary to "transport" an "error" through the error
  stack of the "embedded" programming language.

  (P)rogramming (L)anguage (M)icro(K)ernel 1.0
====================================

  JAVA says:

    "YOU can do whatever YOU want on every os YOU require but YOU have
     to use JAVA"

  C# says:

    "YOU can do whatever YOU want on every os YOU require but YOU have
     to have to use a CLR compatible language"

  I say:

    "YOU can do whatever YOU want on every os YOU require using the
     programming language YOU like most but YOU have to use the PLMK
     design pattern"

The PLMK is an afford to shift the design responsible away from the very
heteros group of language designers to a free open and mature framework
called PLMK. This framework is available for C, C++, C#, JAVA, PYTHON
and TCL and was designed as C/C++ shared library. The library is able to
plugin into the hosting programming language to take-over the responsibly
for the application design. PLMK is not a programming language, the
software
programming is done using the hosting programming language *only*.

       -> libmsgque is the first component of the PLMK framework <-

  GET IT
========

  read more at:
http://libmsgque.sourceforge.net/
  get the software from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libmsgque/
  subversion archive:
https://libmsgque.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/libmsgque/tags/libmsgque-3.5/

mfg

  aotto1968

Arne Vajhøj

Lew said:
I should think it would be more important that Andreas Otto post to the
correct newsgroup.

Actually it is relevant for Java.

But it seems to be a periodical advertisement send to several
groups.

Of a product that no one seems to be using.

Which makes it spam.

So I don't think there are a correct newsgroup.

Arne

Lew

Andreas said:
What does this mean ? ...

-> my English is not as good as it should be

It's a catch-all American idiom that requires tone of voice to disambiguate.
Here it either meant high praise, deep censure or that he pressed SEND
prematurely.

Wojtek

Lew wrote :
Clearly Andreas was asking about the post to which he responded, not
the ellipsis. Hence, obviously, he was asking about the usage of
"Dude."

Ah right. I saw the three dots and assumed...

Lew

RedGrittyBrick said:
Typographically speaking it isn't an ellipsis, it is an ugly
approximation to an ellipsis. This is an ellipsis …

Braaaaap! Sorry. That is not correct.

RedGrittyBrick

Lew said:
Braaaaap! Sorry. That is not correct.

Curse you for sabotaging my attempt to emulate a typography snob.

Let me direct your attention to

http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/finetypography/ht/ellipsis.htm
“While it is quite common to use three periods, the more typographically
desirable way to insert an ellipsis is to use the ellipsis character
available in most fonts or create a custom ellipsis.â€

There! Your “...†is common (base, brutish) and undesirable!

http://www.dev-archive.net/articles/typography/ellipsis.html
“When, as some misguidedly recommend, the ellipsis is replaced and
represented by three consecutive period (.) characters, this meaning is
effectively lost. If read by a voice browser or screen reader, the
result is even worse: without any reasonable means to tell an ellipsis
from a series of periods, the output, in English, is typically "DOT DOT
DOT". Try to avoid using three periods in place of a proper horizontal
ellipsis character.â€

Ha!

http://mtabini.blogspot.com/2009/04/typography-you-can-use.html
“Most people, as I mentioned, create an ellipsis using three periods.
This is wrong. Please, please, stop doing that. Periods have a number of
uses, but producing an ellipsis is not one of them—unless, of course,
you're stuck in 1947 and your keyboard goes "clackety-clack" when you
type. In that case, you have my sympathies.â€

etc.

I note that my Postscript printer's Helvetica typeface includes an
ellipsis at code point 188. Since Helvetica indubitably represents the
acme of typographic taste — it is clear what the typographically
sensitive must use.

;-)

Lew

RedGrittyBrick said:
RGB:
Curse you for sabotaging my attempt to emulate a typography snob.

Let me direct your attention to

http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/finetypography/ht/ellipsis.htm
http://www.dev-archive.net/articles/typography/ellipsis.html
“When, as some misguidedly recommend, the ellipsis is replaced and
represented by three consecutive period (.) characters, this meaning is
effectively lost. ...â€

Ha!

Double "Ha!" This link even acknowledges that "some recommend" the
three-dot form.

And what is "dev-archive.net" - a grammarian's paradise?

Really? You're citing a blogspam post as authoritative?

What about
marks or a mark (as …) indicating an omission (as of words) or a pause

Three full stops meets the definition of "marks" (plural).

The ellipsis consists of three evenly spaced dots (periods)
with spaces between the ellipsis and surrounding letters or other marks.

<http://rhetoric.byu.edu/Figures/E/ellipsis.htm>
Examples that omit even the typographical triple-dot notation.
Several of the following definitions also cover the ellipsis-free
ellipsis.

<http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/ellipse.asp>
<http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ellipsis>
<http://www.answers.com/topic/ellipsis>
<http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ellipsis>
<http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/ellipsis.html>
<http://www.ldoceonline.com/Linguistics-topic/ellipsis>
<http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=25224&dict=CALD>

RedGrittyBrick

Lew said:
Double "Ha!" This link even acknowledges that "some recommend" the
three-dot form.

Poor misguided fools.

And what is "dev-archive.net" - a grammarian's paradise?

I don't know, I was looking for a typographer's paradise. Do you think
there is some overlap?

Really? You're citing a blogspam post as authoritative?

Authoritative? I thought we were just flinging web-dung at one another.

[Large quantity of expended ammunition omitted]

Canadian typographer, poet and translator Robert Bringhurst wrote The
Elements of Typographic Style, of which Hermann Zapf said “I wish to see
this book become the Typographers’ Bible.†Bringhurst recommends using
flush dots, or thin-spaced dots (up to one-fifth of an em), or the
prefabricated ellipsis character.

To my untutored eye, “...†are none of these.

Lew

RedGrittyBrick said:
Authoritative? I thought we were just flinging web-dung at one another.

[Large quantity of expended ammunition omitted]

That's the point - there *is* a large quantity of authoritative
evidence that the three-dot form meets the definition of "ellipsis".

So does your omission of that large quantity of strong evidence, and
it has no dots.
Canadian typographer, poet and translator Robert Bringhurst wrote The
Elements of Typographic Style, of which Hermann Zapf said “I wish to see
this book become the Typographers’ Bible.” Bringhurst recommends using
flush dots, or thin-spaced dots (up to one-fifth of an em), or the
prefabricated ellipsis character.

To my untutored eye, “...” are none of these.

Recommendation and definition are two different things. I agree that
people recommend one particular form of ellipsis, but it is
overwhelmingly evident that the three-dot form meets the definition.
What I am refuting is the notion that the three-dot form "isn't an
ellipsis", not that it isn't recommended. Heck, you don't even need
any dots to meet the definition.

Just because the "prefabricated ellipsis character" is recommended
doesn't mean that the other form is not an ellipsis.

By analogy, there are many practices in Java programming that are
legal Java syntax, but not recommended.

RedGrittyBrick

Lew said:
RedGrittyBrick said:
Authoritative? I thought we were just flinging web-dung at one another.

[Large quantity of expended ammunition omitted]

That's the point - there *is* a large quantity of authoritative
evidence that the three-dot form meets the definition of "ellipsis".
Grammatically.

So does your omission of that large quantity of strong evidence,

Grammatically.

When I triggered this discussion, I began "Typographically …"

Dave Searles

Lew said:
Recommendation and definition are two different things. I agree that
people recommend one particular form of ellipsis, but it is
overwhelmingly evident that the three-dot form meets the definition.

Furthermore, there's the matter of practicality: the only sane way to
type an ellipsis at a standard-issue keyboard is to hit the dot key
three times. It's also the only way that will not turn into gobbledygook
for some people when emailed or posted. (Any weird beyond-ascii
character is likely to show up for many people on such media as a box, a
diamond-with-question-mark, a blank, or a plain ordinary question mark.
In this case the latter would be especially bad as the substitution is
likely to substantially alter the meaning of the affected sentence.
Besides, does nobody here remember the disaster that resulted when
people started trying to use the typographically-recommended curly
quotes on usenet? Post after post with unreadable garbage in them like
"don?t" instead of "don't". You still occasionally see posts like that.
Gah! It's nearly as annoying as top-posting, not trimming, and other
variations on the theme of aberrant quoting.)

Lew

Dave Searles said:
[...]

You need to set your newsreader to use UTF-8. This is an
international group. Would you expect someone like, say, Arne Vajhøj
to change their name because you refuse to move off the antiquated and
parochial ASCII encoding scheme?

Tom Anderson

Furthermore, there's the matter of practicality: the only sane way to type an
ellipsis at a standard-issue keyboard is to hit the dot key three times.

No, the sane way is to type option-semicolon.

As long as the standard-issue keyboard is attached to a decent computer,
that is.

tom

Lew

RedGrittyBrick said:
RedGrittyBrick said:
Authoritative? I thought we were just flinging web-dung at one another.

[Large quantity of expended ammunition omitted]

That's the point - there *is* a large quantity of authoritative
evidence that the three-dot form meets the definition of "ellipsis".

Grammatically.

That's an idiosyncratic distinction from "typographically" since the
three-dots form is typographical.
Grammatically.

When I triggered this discussion, I began "Typographically …"

Most the references I cited were about the typography of the ellipsis. Every
single one that discussed use of three separate periods was discussing the
typography.

Nigel Wade

No, the sane way is to type option-semicolon.

As long as the standard-issue keyboard is attached to a decent computer,
that is.

tom

A sane answer would not rely on proprietary software and hardware, as
your solution does.